The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Looks like we need one of these. Use this to post images or teasers of whatever you happen to be working on at the moment. Sharing feels good, and can inspire other people to keep working on their own maps. :)

Use spoilers if appropriate!

Now that's going some places. Are you saying this is the mission that took "2 months of on and off work"?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm working on a classic Thief-mansion-heist type of mission. I picked up DarkRadiant about a week ago, so I'm still not sure why the game crashes when I add more than 1 light. Any ideas? I've func_static-ed most of the decorative brushwork already. Or does Doom 3 simply hate big tall environments? Or am I not doing something right?

post-130-125611801677_thumb.jpg

Something everyone should be mindful of: When you post screen shots, if its really dark, try touching up the brightness in gimp or photoshop, so we can actually see :)

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I agree; the outdoor shots are quite nice. The indoor ones are pretty rough by comparison, but considering you've just started playing around, it's an impressive start.

The snow in the first screens is very clever. How did you do those bumps?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Actually, these are quite rough screens. The floor tiling looks unrealistic atop of the stone surface, the corner there is just a 90 degree connection, the edges of the fog volumes are easily noticeable, and some windows shine through the fog (I couldn't find the way to fix the latter two issues yet).

I like the water basin in the storage/warehouse room.

It cannot be seen on the shot, by I've rounded its upper edges, which was the main goal for me with this basin. And there is also a water leak and a pool around the basin, it can be hardly seen on the image.

In case you're abandoning your mission, please upload it somewhere. We can store it for you in our internal repositories for others to learn and take stuff from (we call that the "scrapyard").

I intend to finish this mission as I go through the basic tutorial, but it is really going to be very very small. I think it will hardly be interesting to anybody. Speaking of the actual, "real" big mission, I have no idea when I might start making one.

The snow in the first screens is very clever. How did you do those bumps?

What do you mean? This is a basic snow texture that comes with TDM. The trickiest part was to place a curved patch on the floor to make it look more or less realistic.

dSpair: Fog light volume edges has always been a pain. Not found any decent solution. The best tips I can give is to design the FM so the fog edges mostly fall within walls and where there are doorways make them as few as possible, as small as possible and position a strong light in the doorway. This helps to obscure the fog edge somewhat. Perhaps one day someone will produce a different method like a giant particle effect or something.

The windows shining through fog is fixable. It needs a change to the material shader of the window texture. In the def you need to change the section eg:

{

map <path\name>

}

to become:

diffusemap <path\name>

{

blend add

map <path\name>

}

You'd have to copy the whole def into a new .mtr file, rename the def (and in your map) and include the .mtr file in a materials folder with your FM if distributing it.

Hope you finish this FM, tiny or not, looks good - hey! make a nice Christmassy FM coming down the chimney to do a bit of thievin'. :)