The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

100% chance, but I decided I'm not posting one until I get the ocean spray particles working on the rocks

EDIT: just so you know, the skybox is only the water and sky. all landmass material and ocean spray particles will be part of my vert contest entry. So the skybox won't end up being terribly taxing on performance.

Edited by ungoliant

How so..? my main issue atm is trying too choose the right textures - as useal TDM is still too 'sterile'

That JC Denton HDR thread has spoiled you Bikerdude! :laugh:

(I was going to mention playing around with gloss maps to improve the stone materials (recent doom3world reading) but I see JC Denton already has that covered so if you got too funky with that it would mess-up what they've done... But I guess you could always re-texture everything when HDR is ready if you don't want to wait :laugh:)

Yeah...

We'll all have to wait! :angry:

HDR, Fresnel, Gloss maps, Specular maps ... :wub:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

After I build something I inspect it in game and then change/rebuild (scale, layout, textures etc.) what I don't like. It starts with very basic brushes and gets more detailed along the way. And it usually takes a lot of repeats before I'm satisfied with the results.

Well, I think this is the way everyone should do it, because you get a feel for how a certain area plays out. If it only looks good but just doesn't feel right playing it, you haven't won anything. Also, if you jump ingame occasionally, you may get new ideas for improving your architecture/gameplay.

@ungoliant: Very sweet! I do wonder though how it looks from way up. My guess is that the waves reflecting the moon would be too big then.

FINALLY!!! I totally f'ing nailed it. This skybox is ready for prefabulation after the vert contest.

Nice work! But I think the moon is too big in the shots, compared to the real moon?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@ungoliant: Very sweet! I do wonder though how it looks from way up. My guess is that the waves reflecting the moon would be too big then.

ah, but you need not worry about that, because its in a skybox. The effects are static based on the camera position inside the skybox (which is actually kind of unfortunate)

EDIT: also I experimented with height just to see, and it turns out that the higher you go, the more opaque the original water texture becomes, until the point that you can't even see the reflection (which would be unacceptable).

Nice work! But I think the moon is too big in the shots, compared to the real moon?

you've never had one of those nights where you live, where the moon gets real big?

Edited by ungoliant

you've never had one of those nights where you live, where the moon gets real big?

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

That JC Denton HDR thread has spoiled you Bikerdude!

not quite, its more about getting TDM upto the standard of the latest T" missions, eg 'When Still' has very good lighting, and good texture choice. Anyway here are some screenies with a better texture I have found -

post-496-127746625355_thumb.jpg

post-496-12774662568_thumb.jpg

post-496-127746626016_thumb.jpg

exactomundo. I hope you realize I didn't mean the moon actually gets larger, or is closer to the earth. The effect you reference is exactly what I was going for, note the moon in the SS's is directly above the horizon line.

Er, yes, but you made the moon bigger, but instead it should be the same size (just it is the same size on photographs). That it will *appear* bigger is done automatically by the viewer's brain :)

Those first two in particular are drool-worthy. :wub:

Agreed! :wub:

@Bikerdude

Such a elaborated cathedral should be used to maximum effect.

Don't waste potential by making that one a simple sneak and grab mission. Just elaborate on storyline and use of that wonderful map.

I'm not the most creative guy, but if I'm allowed to give suggestions:

Split that mission up nicely. First, one hast to enter town (which is closed down) - at night as usual - and make base at a local inn.

You only get to see this builders beauty from afar.

Second, short daylight mission: You disguise as novice or something and enter the cathedral during a sermon - while sneaking in equipment in a delivery box or hiding it on the grounds - then you enter the (restrictedly accessible) public areas of the cathedral and maybe try to pickpocket some keys for later (or duplicate them). Then you have to find a good hiding place for the actual cathedral mission at night.

You could extend the profit from your building structure easily that way by splitting it up in day/night-missions:

Just change some lighting, candles, sunbeams for moonbeams, and one could use AWESOME bright glass stained windows in the daylight mission while using a toned down version for the night.

Just saying that something as impressive as that building is inspiring even more awe if you present it cleverly (bit by bit) and use it not just once.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

Those first two in particular are drool-worthy.

Agreed!

Wow, really nice shots, biker. Some nice dramatic lighting! Shots 2 and 3 in the 3-pic post above are probably my favorites.

Those are truly gorgeous

Hehe, thanks guys, the encouragement keeps me coming back to it with fresh motivation and ideas.

Such a elaborated cathedral should be used to maximum effect.

Don't waste potential by making that one a simple sneak and grab mission. Just elaborate on storyline and use of that wonderful map.

The plan is/was to make it part of a much larger mission, I have 2 other maps (one is built already 'oldtown') and the second needs to be built. Ungolant has given me a nice storyline that joins all three maps. But it will have to wait untill after Ive finished my contest mission.

ah, but you need not worry about that, because its in a skybox. The effects are static based on the camera position inside the skybox (which is actually kind of unfortunate)

I know and that is exactly the problem I see. When you stand on the beach, the waves look ok size-wise, but when you're higher they will probably look too big compared to the perceived distance of sight. But well, it's not really a big deal! :-)

I know and that is exactly the problem I see. When you stand on the beach, the waves look ok size-wise, but when you're higher they will probably look too big compared to the perceived distance of sight. But well, it's not really a big deal! :-)

I haven't tried this, but can't you position the skybox camera based on the player's elevation, via scripting?

Or maybe hide/show the appropriate camera from several cameras, again using scripting?