The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Now that looks like a proper courtyard.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Man...this feels like something of a milestone. Nine months after starting the FM I'm done with the construction phase of the map. There's still a good amount left to do (a few readables, objectives, and a whole lot of optimizing/testing including squashing a really bad performance bug), but everything's been built. Hopefully I can start beta testing soon.

I really have to stress that I've never released a map before, so I have no clue what to do next. Should I make a separate thread for beta testing? Is there a way to make it private? How would I go about asking for requests like beta testers, voice actors or someone to make minor graphic items?

Anyways, I really appreciate all the support and feedback you guys have provided. Couldn't have gotten this far without you guys :-). Here's the last batch of photos I'll post before release, crits always appreciated:

<snip>

Wow! That looks fantastic Moonbo, I cannot WAIT to play this!

I will have to buy a nice bottle of bourbon, lock myself in the office and play this from start to finish in the late hours of the night when you release it :)

Thanks Tyler, I hope it lives up to your expectations :-). Btw, are you still interested in doing some voice acting for the FM?

Yes of course! Whenever you're ready just send me a PM with what you want done and describe how you want the character to be and then I can send you a couple of clips and once you find the style you like we can go ahead :)

@Kvorning, yeah, I've built the level on my laptop which can barely run it with everything stripped out (it chugs even just moving around in Dark Radiant!). Maybe I'll take some snapshots using my desktop computer when it's time for release :-).

@Flanders, hm, there are actually red lights under all the windows, but maybe the effect is too subtle. I'll look into raising it up. Btw, the red windows are just a re-tinted version of your green window textures, really nice stuff.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

A bit low on contrast. That oil light should illuminate its surroundings more (although probably in a relatively small radius, so a shader with good falloff would be ideal).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Baal: Is there any release date in sight, or is it too far from completion to tell that?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

September would not be impossible. Mappingwise there's one room left to be build and some detailing.

The main workload now is to finish the patrols, objectives, readables, scripting, briefing, maps etc. I have already made good progress on all of these though.

2.0 will come with a lot of great new maps to play. I have even skipped Not an Ordinary Guest in anticipation. :)

How do we know if our map will be 2.0 ready? I'm afraid that I will finally complete my map but then it wont run on 2.0

Chances are good that they work just fine. Just test it. You'll have to do that anyway.

Sounds good then!

I will have to have a look in the beta forums and see if I can get a hold of it to test out my map so far

Because we have been using 2.0 for a while now.

I'm actually still using 1.08, I guess I could upgrade to 2.0 to test my map with but everything I use is in the TDM folders so I guess it should be fine :)

Edited by TylerVocal

Now, take obstorte's ASE exporter and make a patch ground, make it a little more uneven and put some dirt blendings in there and you have "the most atmospheric exterior area in a FM" -prize in no-time!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.