The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

1158 tris

Yeah, that's getting closer. Our current swords are all less than 500 tris. It's the texture (including the normalmap) that will really make or break these kinds of models.

Awww yeah, that's fantastic, I can't really tell the difference between then :)

Indeed!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yep. It's the texture that makes these kinds of things look good, not really the number of polys.

Will the "very sharp sword" be making an appearance in 2.01?

I'm very interested.

Me too!

I have a great place to put it in my map. Xcen any chance you could upload a copy of it? You would get credit where credit is due of course ;)

Nice. I'd add a few lights to it if it doesn't destroy the frame rate, but the scene is going in interesting ways.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Not to change the subject, but here's my bare beginnings (sorry, pun intended)...

Hidden out of view from here, there's a nice warm campfire down there to, erm, avoid...

<snip>

That looks really cool! Do you have a story planned out yet?

I haven't shown any mapping work for a while. Let's update a little.

I've been building some LOL (Life Of Luxury) modules for some really fancy manor interiors.

dlWMCzi.jpg

Looks great!

these materials could use some more prominent normal maps though. Or even more polys.

Thanks!

Heh, most the light you can't see down at the far third, I just like this view. :-) More light, more AIs (you can't make out half a dozen horses and those down by the fire), more sound, more foreshadowing, more frills, more... You know how it is!

Yes, story motivated the setting down the hill, basically we're at a trading stopover on a mountain pass, but recent rockfall has cut off the way down this side. Our thief overheard a local trader regretting having sold something to a merchant caravan for the amount he did, since they haven't gotten very far, we can recover said item for him. Of course we don't want suspicion pointing his way, so need to nab other stuff to cover up the main intent as well.

Of course, that's only half the adventure. ;-)

(I wanted to start fairly basic, to learn what pitfalls to avoid with more complex things for the future, and also measure my investment/enjoyment in the process, thankfully so far so good! Just don't put a domed lid chest up against a wall...)

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

OK, so I've reached a stopping point. Half the mission is in place (and playable on easy), but before I do more, it would be helpful to know what I've missed in my beginner ignorance, and how it performs for someone on a lower end system.

Would someone experienced at poking around newbie maps like to check it out?

Might someone with a system that struggles, care to give me insights how it performs for them please?

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

We have a term for this, an Alpha test. You might ask for a thread on the betatest forum so you can keep everything in a thread. I'd like to help, but I'm up to my ears in writing papers right now!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Very nice Krypt, although the door texture looks awfully rough for such a posh room.