The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Didn't you say that Penny Dreadful should be a series of small missions ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Wellllll... the original plan was not very big... except as usual, I estimated the dimensions of the gameplay space badly. Things got carried away from there.

Still, I'd say it is still a medium-sized FM. Larger than the first one, though, more complex, and (regrettably) much more demanding on hardware.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That screenshot looks fantastic! Question about the book shelf, is that a custom bookshelf you made with a flat faced texture for the row of books per shelf?

Yes, it is using a set of bookrow textures which were made for the campaign, and for some reason, haven't been released yet. I hope they'll soon see wider distribution, because they are great.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Best of luck!

It is a good idea to start small, and try not to be carried away. For first mission, it is a also a good idea to stick with interior locations. Fully completed scene requires a lot more work for exteriors than interiors.

And, remember, you can always do a google image search for reference pictures.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The first time is always dead slow for everybody.

There aren't really shortcuts than just doing it, and your next time will be better.

This is why it's very smart of you to make your first one small.

You know going in you'll make some mistakes and might have started differently, but it's ok for a small FM, and then the next one you do you'll know what's good from the start.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thanks all! I'm focusing most of my effort on the primary house itself, so it's mainly interior stuff. There will be a couple streets, and 1-2 nooks & crannies besides the main house, but the plan is to provide most of the outdoor scenery via prefab buildings, so that I don't get caught up in it too much. I've successfully completed about 90% of Fidcal's tutorial (minus a few things that I don't plan on implementing, like the elevator), so I know I can do the basics. Putting it together into an attractive level will be the challenge.

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Oh that is awesome news! Manor heists are some of the most fun to be had in the Thief universe (in my opinion) that and bank jobs.

What I like about building manors in TDM is that unless I win the lottery, I'm never going to have enough money to live in one so making my very own manor in TDM is the next best thing IMO. You don't even have to worry about exceeding your budget unless you come close to breaking the brush, patch limit in DR.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Looks cool, but it may be more fitting if you desaturate it a bit. Hard to say from that screenshot, though.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Looks cool, but it may be more fitting if you desaturate it a bit. Hard to say from that screenshot, though.

The sky is like that because of a story related reason. You will have to wait to play the mission to find out why ;)