The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

It's quite good! I agree that the metal could use some more distressing in spots, but that's a minor detail. What does it say on that cover plate?

If you want to package it up and send it to me I can make sure it gets into the next asset update.

It's a bulky, decorative font (but I seem to like the obtuse style) it just says service. Pretty much a hatch label for when it gets worked on, and just an interesting detail I added in at the last moment. There's the rear output adjuster lug, very similar to the ones seen on both sides on the top of the arc transformer. Without adding company names or linking these devices to any specific person/organization I'm getting a certain kind of technical standard set in stone. I'll be going through some stuff to see what I can finalize but I'll send it to you when ready.

Besides staple features I've added (like the adjustment lug bolts) I'm really trying to keep in that production mindset. Things like...

-No stamped steel, use bulkier iron casts instead.

-No welding. A bit obvious but sometimes easier to overlook. Add bolts or rivets instead. Also makes for easy UV seams that way.

-No membrane or condensed buttons. This is more of an aesthetic feature to realize, but resorting to analog switches and levers instead.

-No easy access for servicing. Nearly all these machines were based from cast iron molds of some kind and were built that way to last. They have access points but lack the ingenuity of quick pull apart panels and instead use bolt in designs (sometimes many bolts).

-Look for ways to pull apart the internals to external locals for a more elaborate design. Makes for a more complex model but also lends to the fact of a breaking age technology, still progressing.

-Keep it dangerous. I really try and think through the functions of how these all work mechanically. But in this world we don't have OSHA or any kinds of organizations concerned for safety.

Therefore stuff is designed for a purpose but is kept in mind to be handled by a trained technician, in order to be handled without killing oneself.

Just thought I'd share that. It's some of the core principals I try and go through when starting a new mesh but what I rely on to work for TDM electrical.

Edited by Epifire
  • Like 2

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Been working on an enterable prefab house, so far an AI can navigate the house, just detailing it left to go.. here's the front parlor

parlor.jpg

Dragging it to where the browser tabs go should open it

For some reason the image doesn't work for me, do you have a mirror?

For some reason images don't seem to be working for me lately, probably using the wrong bbcode. Next time I'll process the image so the filesize is smaller and just attach to the post instead of messing around with external site links.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

It's a bulky, decorative font (but I seem to like the obtuse style) it just says service. Pretty much a hatch label for when it gets worked on, and just an interesting detail I added in at the last moment. There's the rear output adjuster lug, very similar to the ones seen on both sides on the top of the arc transformer. Without adding company names or linking these devices to any specific person/organization I'm getting a certain kind of technical standard set in stone. I'll be going through some stuff to see what I can finalize but I'll send it to you when ready.

Besides staple features I've added (like the adjustment lug bolts) I'm really trying to keep in that production mindset. Things like...

-No stamped steel, use bulkier iron casts instead.

-No welding. A bit obvious but sometimes easier to overlook. Add bolts or rivets instead. Also makes for easy UV seams that way.

-No membrane or condensed buttons. This is more of an aesthetic feature to realize, but resorting to analog switches and levers instead.

-No easy access for servicing. Nearly all these machines were based from cast iron molds of some kind and were built that way to last. They have access points but lack the ingenuity of quick pull apart panels and instead use bolt in designs (sometimes many bolts).

-Look for ways to pull apart the internals to external locals for a more elaborate design. Makes for a more complex model but also lends to the fact of a breaking age technology, still progressing.

-Keep it dangerous. I really try and think through the functions of how these all work mechanically. But in this world we don't have OSHA or any kinds of organizations concerned for safety.

Therefore stuff is designed for a purpose but is kept in mind to be handled by a trained technician, in order to be handled without killing oneself.

Just thought I'd share that. It's some of the core principals I try and go through when starting a new mesh but what I rely on to work for TDM electrical.

Love that internal logic checklist, it really translates quite well into the model, I can see the coherence youre talking about. Really good to be reminded of these things.

The model is wonderful, by the way! The texture really brings it to life, and I quite like the harmony in the color palette. This and the generator model are begging for some cool electricity bolts and light effects! I like how the "technological" aspect of TDm is growing because of your work.

• Like 1

I've come here after a long time and are about to make some resolutions what I want to achieve this year.

• Complete a mission (my first, actually) which I started under the mentorship of Airship Ballet. I think she might be super mad when I come around and say I want to continue working on it after all this time of no information. I don't know why she would be mad since she was super nice and understanding so far. But a normal human probably would. And since it's the first map I don't expect it to look super great, but I do want a medium sized mission and you having some fun playing it when it's done. So I think that's the main thing this year. Also...
  • Do something about the menu issue. I probably need to learn some new programming languages on the way. I don't know where to start und if I can do it or at least contribute something, but leaving it as it is is not really an option at this point.
  • If I gain some map experience from my first mission, I kind of want to do some youtube videos about how to map (probably talking in german with english subtitles). But I want it to be idiot proof for complete noobies. I didn't check if there's a similar project already, but I'm kinda unsatisfied with the currently available tutorials on Dark Radiant.
So I don't know when I want to do all this and probably I won't have time for all that. Maybe the first point, that would be cool. Also this year sees the completion (and beginning) of my master thesis, achieving something with my newly founded rock band, as well as all the other little stuff. Let's see... Edited by Nico A.

I like how that looks! Will it be an open town map by chance?

well i hope to have some more open areas....but thi is just the start of the map......was funny when i get to light at bridge an that guards just came to attack me.....i was not expected that... :o

• Like 1

Finally have some optimized shadows for the arc transformer working. As well as proper transparency on the release wheels thanks to the help of RPGista!

Just needing to do some work on the gauges, (on/off skins maybe an overload one?). After that I could probably work on the derelict and affluent skin.

Looks very good!

• Like 1

Epifire: wow! :) It looks wonderful in-game.

(I assume the dials are separate objects? They should be!)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Epifire I was trying to figure out why that room looked so oddly familiar in the picture.. and then I realized that's because it's a section of my current WIP I sent you long ago for a custom model you did for me haha :)

That new model looks fantastic btw!