The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Now that's what Im talking about, very impressive Spooks!

Just some feedbback from a cursory glance at the images -

1. the wall to the left in the first image is very bare, so I assume its WIP..?
  2. the custom light texture you used for the windows needs tweaking, there should be no light from the solid lead-frame parts of the window.
  3. The dungeon is to die for (literally), only crit is the floor texture - its way to clean in camparison to the rest of the grimy walls etc.
  4. if the light coming through the windows in shots 2/3 is from a single source (moonlight or a single streetlamp) then the projected images should be parallel and not overlap.

Very good job, Spooks! That second shot has a very strong Dishonored feel to it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Just beautiful work Spooks

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Nice use of light to lend a special mood to an already excellent scene. :)

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

(appears my forum actions are restricted as such that I cannot upload anything to "my media", use certain image extentions, reply to status or even update my profile, etc... punative measure no doubt - I don't trust me either, so np).

No it's not. AFAIK, users don't have permission to upload attachments. Maybe its for admins and TDM devs only. Just use postimage or other uploading site, imgur is fine too. This is normal.

As for the texture, try to put it in some real mission scenario, like two lights or one light + ambient_world. Now it looks like it's in max or maya or other modeling software (home grid). And it's kind of wet, I guess you didn't have that kind of specularity in mind.

Any tips on how to kick yerself up the arse in order to get back into starting (for the third time) the same map..?

In my experience, it is best to just start. Anywhere. Draw a brush und see where you get from there. Also, you can try Springheel's modules (in case you have a City section in your map). I have recently spent a couple of hours on just building some house with the modules and randomly sticking them together. They actualy look not bad, considering how little time I have spent on them (although this is, of course, mostly attributed to the quality and design of the models themself)

• Like 3

Also, don't expect instant results, and try to do a bit every day, or once every two days. If you feel like you're going nowhere, switch tasks. Gather references, make a colour palette, write the intro text, draw a map, make a texture, write a material decl etc. Give yourself a lot of time, like a year, to make a mission. Take some time off, if you don't see progress, but go back to your stuff regularly, so you don't forget how it's done.

• Like 1

Well, I came here with background mostly in UEd 2.x for Deadly Shadows and UE 3 editing (UT3, Gears of war PC), so you can imagine my frustration when I tried to use DR for the first time. It felt so backwards in comparison to what I had at my disposal (I mean UE3, not Deadly Shadows ;) ). Like, how can you have no GUI material editor in this day and age... I needed a whole weekend to get the idea behind the idtech4 and to get used to the controls. I changed almost all shortcuts, tweaked the color scheme too. I wasted at least a few days of work to get the basics of writing materials and importing models from 3dsmax. I did a sort of "tech evaluation" to see what I'll be able to make on my own, and boy that was long and painful. I'm more of an art person, while idtech4 definitely needs working in pairs: art + programmer duo can make the most of it in efficient manner.

I don't know your background, but from my standpoint, the thing you're trying to make is way too ambitious. I never released a TDM FM, but I have 2 (mediocre) TDS FMS and several tech demos under my belt. At this point, I'm better at making textures, models and environments than gameplay, so I'm trying to make some standard gameplay and small map, but with 100% custom textures and models. You're trying to make all that too + unique gameplay, + large environment. You're setting the bar very, very high, and IMO that can be very destructive, especially when you're a perfectionist. Noone wants you to burn out, we'd sure love to see a finished map :)

(Btw. I don't understand why the wet dream of every Thief(-ish) community mapper and their mother is to have a large explorable city in one map. There's a whole series of games that has already proven that it's no holy grail, more like boring boring ;) – I'm talking about AssCreed series)

Anyway, I'd probably cut on my goals at this point, or go over all the references, design docs etc., to see what's doable now, i.e. within a few months. What I'd like to do, what's important to me. Definitely not something that huge. Maybe you're that good, and you are able to do this, but to me it sounds a bit like one-man MMO project – noone has ever finished any ;)

• Like 2

That's good, you shouldn't take offense, as that was more of a joke, and just my personal preferences. I find open worlds, city hubs etc. boring and empty experience. But somehow a lot of people like it, thus the popularity and saturation of open-world games right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I am thinking of making a steam machine for my FM. The player needs to put a flame in the boiler and start the machine with a switch.

Is it possible to ask in a script whether an extinguishable light is lit or not? What command is used?

That way I could use the switch to call a script that checks the boiler flame and then if it is lit, trigger the necessary stuff. When the machine is on, I can also continously ask if the flame is on, and if it is not, I can switch the machine off.

Thanks!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Should be possible with:

scriptEvent entity getEntityKey(string key);

Retrieves the entity specified by the spawn arg.

key: spawnarg name

Spawnclasses responding to this event: idEntity

But you'd have to find some common attribute link "inherit" == "atdm:moveable_candle_holder_base" || "some other extinguishable base"

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I know that on vanilla doom 3 you can turn on and off a light with : $light_name.On(); or $light_name.Off(); But in this case i don't know how to detect the state of the light

But i know that you can ask if a entity is hidden or not, using the function: $entityName.isHidden();

So i would recommend using $light_name.hide(); or $light_name.show(); To turn a light on or off.

In this case you can just do it like so;

if ( $light_name.isHidden() == TRUE ) // the object is hidden

{

dostuff

}

else if ( $light_name.isHidden() == FALSE ) // object is not hidden

{

dostuff

}

else { do other stuff } // this is opcional

These are fantastic Epi! very Dishonored like theme to them.. Are you intending to make them skin-able..?

Thankyou! Definitely doing a pingpong for themes between that and TDS in my art.

Well the source files can definitely be edited to create additional skins later from Substance Painter. At current I had no plans of additional skins but it's still open should there be a valid enough reason in the future.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Well the source files can definitely be edited to create additional skins later from Substance Painter.

Ah cool, I might have a go at doing that then. Will start of simple like removing text and changing colors.

Wonna drop me a PM sop I can create these for you, so you can include them in the final release.

Very nice looking work, Epifire! (And Goldwell for rigging it up) That's some high-standards modelling! :laugh: