The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

That's more or less what I had in mind :) Text(s) will be different but the frame and the materials will do.

obraz.png

This looks like something that will blow our minds when it gets released finally. (At least visually ;) ) Nice work, mista.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The material choice really pops. Only thing I might add is you may wanna set those inside edges to hard, as it looks like the soft edge is putting off some small but blotchy inner shading. Other than that I think it's pretty mint!

mRAkQwE.png

• Like 3

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

This looks like something that will blow our minds when it gets released finally. (At least visually ;) ) Nice work, mista.

That's the hope, thank you :)

The material choice really pops. Only thing I might add is you may wanna set those inside edges to hard, as it looks like the soft edge is putting off some small but blotchy inner shading. Other than that I think it's pretty mint!

Weird thing is, those pieces are on separate uv islands, and there are hard edges there on the high poly mesh. Maybe my choice of smoothing groups on low poly mesh had something to do with it. I had to re-bake it anyway, because I accidentally moved the front outer edge of the frame, so it was slanted. It looks a tad better now:

obraz.png

Edited by Judith
  • Like 3

Yeah man it's actually your lowres game mesh that's facing the problems. The UV islands should be one side of the problem (if you're baking the hard edge) but that has to be referenced in the final mesh as well otherwise you'll still get that weird shading going on. I'm still trying to remember what all 3DS needs for that to be saved into the exported version. If all else fails you can still achieve it by splitting those edges manually but that'll increase your vert count a tad. I mean it's a simple mesh so you'd be able to get away with that no problem but it's a last resort if your hard edges fail to export correctly.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

At first, I tried to bake normals without any Smoothing Groups on low res mesh, but that looks even worse, I get ugly sharp lines where uv islands end. But I expected that, the idea with 4 SGs was a better one, since there is some continuity in the frame, both inside and outside.

obraz.png

Baking it with one SG would be a disaster too, the result would be averaged to an angle between all these surfaces, and all the lines would look distorted. I think you're right, adding a few edges is a best idea here. The model itself is exported with one smoothing group, and it's only 250 tris, so I can give the engine a bit more to work with, without breaking the polygon budget.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 2

Btw. that might be useful to you Epi (and other modelers), because in the end I didn't need to add any loops to the corners of the model. I just exported it with the same smoothing groups I had, when I was baking the model (i.e. the picture above). This way the gradient in normals is no longer a problem. Good thing idtech4 recognises exported custom smoothing groups! Set the specular to _white here for exaggeration:

obraz.png

• Like 3

Unfortunately due to the amount of work and effort that went into the briefing video there wasnt much love given to the rest of the FM.

Heres a screenshot of the actual mission

I assume the player character is the blue one? And it's still a Thief-like game? What about stealth. Where can the thief hide? (the 2 others are guards)

Even though you only had time to make a 2d level here, it's different in a refreshing way. Looking forward to it.

Shadows of Northdale Act I just entered into beta, to celebrate I wanted to share the briefing video with everyone here

Provided the beta test goes smoothly, I plan to have this released by the end of next week.

Very impressive! Your best yet, I think. I'd love to see something like your opening to replace our old low-res intro video.

• Like 2

Shadows of Northdale Act I just entered into beta, to celebrate I wanted to share the briefing video with everyone here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4nP3lYd6wg

Provided the beta test goes smoothly, I plan to have this released by the end of next week.

That's impressive overall, although I must say there are elements that kind of drag down the new high quality of the presentation. Like the "Powered by The Dark Mod" animation is awesome, but TDM logo and its appearance looks like pasted quickly from elsewhere, and it's weak by comparison. IMO, it's also kind of redundant, since you already got the Powered by TDM message (a flash of light and transition to next part would be enough). Mission Title looks amazing on the other hand, as well as those ice-like transitions. It's Lord of the Rings quality, but then we get same old oilified, unsharp-masked sepia shots. I know it's tons of work, but if you can get those elements to be on par with all the new high-quality stuff, you will really knock people's socks off :)

Edited by Judith

Hello Goldwell,

Awesome, awesome to the max.

Eidos Montreal should have hired you for their last Thief project. I am positive you would have fixed it.

I am not too familar with the English voices in the Thief games (Thief 1 & 2 is available with German narration, thus I only know the English voice in TDS) but your lad is quite close. Who does the job for you?

However, one thing is for sure: You guys do so much better interpretations of the Thief material as the current franchise holders.

• Like 4