The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I'd love to listen to you talk about your process of lighting...ever thought of doing a live build?

I'd love to listen to you talk about your process of lighting...ever thought of doing a live build?

I second this! As a noob, I know precious little about lighting, let alone how to make it look good, so I'd definitely watch that

I have, actually! Never gotten to try recording one, though, it always seems whatever layout I try to start seems to spiral out of control, haha. I do have a leftover brush map with, like, six rooms total though. I was going to retrofit it to an April Fools map, but on such short time I'd rather focus on my current project instead. So who knows, maybe I'll take that tiny layout and do a Let's Build series of videos with it, the idea has been kicking around in my head for awhile now...

• Like 4

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

• 3 weeks later...

That little forest section is gorgeous, the assets are great looking and the way you organized them feels natural and rich. Brilliant work! You really feel like climbing all over the place, getting to the top.

"The Grimwood district, home to the High Priest Isiah's church, i've heard rumors about what goes on there... tonight i'll see for myself."

So lovely as well, the blue distance fog looks so good... And I love the detail of the vegetation growing on the old walls.

Models are great but all I can look at are soft shadows - it really makes the difference.

Indeed, hadnt even noticed those sexy soft shadows. I really love the whole scene.

So lovely as well, the blue distance fog looks so good... And I love the detail of the vegetation growing on the old walls.

Thank you all,

I will continue in this style then. Will commit these assets and test to the campaign SVN. If desired, we could put the rocks/trees as part of the base game as I am sure they could be of use to other mappers as well.

The campaign SVN isn't really being used anymore, as the entire project is pretty much dead. I'd be happy to add the assets to the core SVN if you like.

The campaign SVN isn't really being used anymore, as the entire project is pretty much dead. I'd be happy to add the assets to the core SVN if you like.

Sure, I would appreciate that. I committed them to the campaign SVN before I read this, but all as one commit. Here is a list:

Repository:
https://svn.thedarkmod.com/project/campaign/trunk

Entire folders from the campaign directory (newly added with the commit):
/trunk/dds/models/darkmod/nature/plants/
/trunk/dds/models/darkmod/nature/rocks/
/trunk/dds/models/darkmod/nature/trees/
/trunk/models/darkmod/nature/plants/
/trunk/models/darkmod/nature/rocks/
/trunk/models/darkmod/nature/trees/

Also include the following files:
/trunk/materials/bm_models_nature_rocks.mtr
/trunk/materials/bm_models_nature_trees.mtr
/trunk/particles/tdm_glare_lamp_02.prt

Beautiful work!

Welcome back, Dram.

Thank you! It is good to be back :)

• Like 1

I actually don't have the campaign SVN checked out. Do you still have regular SVN access?

Here to help mate, here to help :)

Incidentally something completely unrelated, a painting I quickly modelled. Mind I have the real painting here at home, so the diffuse is from a photograph, the normals and spec then made in Photoshop.

That looks beautiful man, shinhy and tempting. Very, very cool!

• Like 1

The campaign SVN isn't really being used anymore, as the entire project is pretty much dead.

I have been continuing work on the second campaign mission and its close to being ready for beta testing and I am still determined to get it completed one way or another.

I thought you said you weren't working on the campaign anymore? :huh:

Well, even if that's changed, obviously a nine mission campaign can't be completed by one person.

Is the plan to release Blackheart Manor as a separate mission?

@Dram, very nice painting, love the frame.

What kind of work is needed?

I'll drop you a Pm.

• I thought you said you weren't working on the campaign anymore?
  • Well, even if that's changed, obviously a nine mission campaign can't be completed by one person.
  • Is the plan to release Blackheart Manor as a separate mission
  • Correct, but as I have been helping out other mappers with thier work I have been working on the 2nd campaign mission on the side. Once I get mission 2 out I will then make a start on mission 3 etc.
  • There is only 8 left, of which most are quite far along. Like I have done with other large maps I have worked on, I will ask for help etc.
  • This is a question for Dram.