The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Does it mean, that player will retain loot from the first mission to spend it during the second as well?

I have not looked into that mechanic yet, but I am planning some things to carry over from the first mission to the next.

I have not looked into that mechanic yet, but I am planning some things to carry over from the first mission to the next.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Setting_up_Campaigns#Inventory_Items

inv_persistent spawnarg

:)

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Thank you for that! I had read through that before, however it says that the loot carries over for the menu shop of the next mission. But my missions have an ingame shop the player visits rather than the traditional system.

But one problem there is that if the loot carries over from the first mission, the second mission can't really have a loot objective as it might be reached by the time the player starts the mission.

Unless I somehow turn the loot the player gets from mission 1 into an item called "fence credit" or something in mission 2, and then I could edit the ingame shop script so that it uses the fence credits before it burns into the players loot.

It sounds like a lot of messing around though, and i'm not sure if that setup is even possible.

That’s fantastic!

Btw how is that setup where you got onto the ladder so easily? A frequent problem I have is the player seems to overshoot my ladders easily and then fall to their death.

• Like 1

A frequent problem I have is the player seems to overshoot my ladders easily and then fall to their death.

This is me in just about every video game with a ladder. Needless to say, I don't go on many ladders in real life.

• Like 1

I think there is nothing special about how I placed the ladders. The secret is to approach the ladder backwards so that you face the ladder when going down, just as you would in real life. With this trick, you really cannot fall down, at least I never managed to. ^^

• Like 1

That’s fantastic!

Btw how is that setup where you got onto the ladder so easily? A frequent problem I have is the player seems to overshoot my ladders easily and then fall to their death.

Hehehe :D Some games solve that by putting special rails so players don't fall down.

I think there is nothing special about how I placed the ladders. The secret is to approach the ladder backwards so that you face the ladder when going down, just as you would in real life. With this trick, you really cannot fall down, at least I never managed to. ^^

Yes that is one way, another is to remove control from the player and play a "get on stair" animation, used on FEAR, another that Penumbra uses for example, is to pull the player into position when he clicks/frobs the ladder. What to use depends on the gameplay and game.

Edited by HMart

I tend to dislike having control taken away from me. Imagine you run from a guard and want to jump down a ledge. That ledge has a ladder however, so you're sucked into the climbing animation. Sucks!

We could make it a little bit clearer to players, though, that approaching a ladder backwards is the failsafe way to do it.

• Like 1

current map am woking on has a lot of pipes you can climb up/down but testing goes, oops used wrong pipe and fell to my death.

in finished map there will be zombies wandering around on the ground, so climbing pipes will be the only way to bypass them

Edited by stumpy

Added some temporary lights to FM that is just entering beta - I guess there is not much to show if all lights are off in your mission...

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19886-fm-marsh-of-rahena-beta-testing/

<snip>

Those are fantastic looking scenes!

Especially that last one :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

Working on a window for Builder environment. Not sure what to put in the arch section. I already have hammer and gear symbols on wall panels, but it seems appropriate here as well.

You can always subdivide. It seems tall cathedral windows don't normally have big, unsegmented panes up top.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5f/Dunblane_Cathedral_2017.jpg/1200px-Dunblane_Cathedral_2017.jpg

Vanished that's some of the best lighting direction for a street view I've seen in a long time. It's a very simple kind of color scheme that still pulls off loads of visual interest throughout. However the interior shots feel a bit stark in the comparison when sat side by side. I think it's mainly to do with the single lighting color giving a very even look. Whereas your exterior relies on kind of a three tone (very D1 Lady Boyle streets vibe) and I think your interiors could pop just the same with a similar treatment.

Certainly this comes down to whatever your artistic approach decides but I really like what you've got going in either case. ;)

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Cheers. I'm not sure 'stark' isn't what I want here: those are rooms for very senior clergy, where you get to live if you're saintly good at climbing hierarchies, so I tried to make them look opulent yet at the same time keep a touch of strict religious regimen. The modular pieces are mainly from the mansion interior set (there's some church interior on the walls with windows, mostly unseen in these shots), and I was worried it could easily end up looking like a lavish nobleman's suite with the banners changed.

I do still need to add a touch of ambient light around the windows though. Also the oil lamp in the foreground of the last shot has a rather strong white glass part against the dark background (I think it's one of Dragofer's light assets, and probably stands out here because I'm not using them consistently as he might); I've since added a particle glow that softens the effect a bit.

• Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

The thing you might want to consider is to give your lights a wider range. The darkness on the interiors looks almost oily, the flames can barely penetrate it. Some of the maps here do suffer from this "spotlight" heavy illumination setup. If you light up a torch inside a room, the whole place is gonna get lit up, even if its more subtle than the powerful electric lights we are used to. So I would experiment with bigger radius for the lights. It also increases the challege, as poorly lit places makes it a breeze for players to cross, and isnt very challenging.

• Like 3

Delete this post please. My mistake.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson