The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

• 2 weeks later...

Jack your pics look great. However you might want to think about adding skirting boards and cornices. Where two planes meet, is always a great opportunity

for detail. Your level is looking good. :)

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 4 weeks later...

Been working on textures for my window material. Nailing down stone and metal was pretty straightforward, but I'm struggling with stained glass design, mostly with how to choose colored glass, and how to work with emissive texture to make the material work in all lighting conditions. I'll get there at some point.

obraz.png

Don't get me wrong, your designs really look great, but, i often miss a bit of "dirt" and smear, when i see your stuff. It often rather reminds me of Dishonored, which also has a certain posh look, than of The Dark Mod.

Again, don't get me wrong, it really looks nice. I just think it could use some more dirt, smear, and mold. It's rather how i would imagine a restorated, and maintained church nowadays, than a church back in the days.

It's the aesthetic he's going for. If he were going for gritty realism, he wouldn't be doing windows and siding like that to begin with.

I like grimy things too, but I know when an aesthetic needs to be authentic to what it is, and this is true to its vision.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Pimping your own work while pretending to be someone else is cute and all, but making new accounts to get around a ban is obviously not permitted.

• Like 3

Pimping your own work while pretending to be someone else is cute and all, but making new accounts to get around a ban is obviously not permitted.

Question. If Bikerdude releases any further work, will his stuff be added to the in-game mission downloader?

Question. If Bikerdude releases any further work, will his stuff be added to the in-game mission downloader?

Assuming it's his own work or work he has permission to use, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be.

• Like 3

Spent some time toying with detail texture stage. Something similar was used in first Rage, but it was way, way less subtle. This is only visible when you're really close to a surface:

obraz.png

"No Honor Among Thieves" has a detail textures via material stages, I think the examples in the wiki are based on it.

(If you want to compare what Mortem Desino did to what you've done.)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Apparently, I'm using the first example from the wiki:

{

blend gl_dst_color, gl_src_color

map DetailTexture

scale 16, 16

}

Basically it works like Overlay mode in Gimp, so you have to adjust your pattern in order not to make your material too dark or light. I'd rather not use any more complex setups, as every additional stage incurs more base drawcalls. The texture itself is a 512 px dds greyscale, so its impact is minimal. The grain / noise works pretty well with stones, it also sharpens the output material a bit. Not sure about other types of surfaces yet.

The dilapidated old house at the western waterfront of Wrecker's Reach.

So this Crucible mission has found a new purpose? Great! B)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved