The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Yep. You've got to always be asking yourself. Is the scale right compared to what I know of reality. Can I make this better? The love

you put into your style, the more you will be appreciated as a mapper to the community. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Regarding scale it helps a lot to put a random AI somewhere in your scene. With that you have a reference point on how big everything is and it is easier to get the scale right. If you are more of a numbers person, you can use the info on this Wiki page: 1 DarkRadiant unit = 0.909 inches = 2.309 cm. So, if you know how tall a room should be in real life, you know how many units you need in DR to be realistic. The page also contains some useful information regarding how big any openigs may be, how steep a slope is traversible for players and AI etc.

In almost all cases yes, hitting natural while the scale is set to 0.500 will yield the intended scale. There are however some very high res textures that'll appear magnified at 0.500.

That’s all, just wanted to know what you were most proud of and wasn’t sure where my eye should be drawn to. It all looks great but for some reason I really like grates on the right that resemble a chain-link fence.

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

14 hours ago, VanishedOne said:

I'm not sure what you're after. Thematically it's an industrial area. Technically, points of interest might be a glare light around the furnace and flare deform surfaces for the glow around the lamps (since we don't have emissive maps).

Sorry for being blunt but glow around these lamps looks rather bad. I've been trying to find a suitable effect myself, and IMO you'd be better off with something like light that has fogs/glare2 texture and noshadows/nodiffuse/nospecular set to 1:

obraz.png

• Like 1

That isn't really the same thing. A glare light illuminates geometry within its volume, like any other kind of light (apart from a fog light set to paint on its own boundary too). Where there's no geometry there's nothing to illuminate. The flare deforms add a glow around the lamp independent of whether it's illuminating anything behind it; other candidates would be a tube deform (I got unsatisfactory results) or a particle effect.

By the way, glare2 has the noshadows keyword anyway, blendLights are non-shadowasting by default (in fact, forceShadows seemed not to work on them when I tried it), I don't think blendlights perform specular interactions (it's just a blend add stage), and as far as I know nodiffuse doesn't actually work. Nice-looking screenshot though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Best solution would be to have a proper postprocess bloom for that, so the emissive texture alone would do the trick (perhaps with setting RGB to something higher than 1). Otherwise it's whatever gets the job done, without noticeable performance hit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, duzenko said:

You mean, spiders and undead LOL

Ha, too true. Even though I don't think Greek myth fits into TDM, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the maze. Plus it'd be a cool creature to add to the universe (but I realize that creating new AI is super difficult)

We have a 3/4 completed wolfbeast, that might even pass if you can handwave over a few missing core animations.

Speaking of which, I need that wolfbeast for one of my WIP FMs.

Yes it's difficult, but he's not-substitutable (and cool) enough to be worth it IMO. I should take my own advice though. =/  (If you really want something done you ought to do it yourself if no one else is.)

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Until we can get a working AF for the werebeast, I don't think it's going to be appearing anywhere. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Springheel said:

Until we can get a working AF for the werebeast, I don't think it's going to be appearing anywhere. 

Yeah I think I messaged around asking anybody at one point if I could look at the current resources for it. A lot more busy just trying to wrap up current requests and getting back to the portfolio but I'd still like to help out on that again if I ever get the chance.

Had talked to Kingsal at one point about what adding my own NPC's would take. So while I'm busy af right now, I'm still really keen on working with animations (especially since I'm now learning Maya). ?

I just wish id4 had more broad plugin support with other, more modern modeling apps.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything