The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

7 hours ago, Springheel said:

Until we can get a working AF for the werebeast, I don't think it's going to be appearing anywhere. 

I seem to remember somebody posting that they had a few animations already working for it, so I assumed that meant the AF was working. But I wasn't entirely following what was really going on, and you're the one that would know.

If it's any motivation for someone thinking to work on it, I have an FM WIP that really requires the wolfbeast (I started it pre-2.0 when we still had id's version). So if somebody could get it in working order, I can get that out already and we'd have another nice FM to play that really features him in a cool way. :)

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

7 hours ago, demagogue said:

I seem to remember somebody posting that they had a few animations already working for it, so I assumed that meant the AF was working. But I wasn't entirely following what was really going on, and you're the one that would know.

It does have a few animations, though not many.  I think it has the basics (idle, walk, run, attack).  I remember getting it to move around a map. But the AF is needed in order to create a ragdoll for it.  I can't remember now if there were other issues.

• Like 1

Ah right, that's something I used to know. Actually no-AF might work for my FM since it's going to be scripted and not go to ragdoll anyway (I think).

I'm guessing it's in the SVN assets trunk somewhere, right? I'm also willing to work on it just to get it into a state where it'd work for that FM. And maybe I'd just package it in my own pk4, since I don't want to have to commit the team to spending time vetting it or taking it for the base assets or anything like that, given that this would be my first project like this and my QA tolerance for the FM doesn't have to be as high as the game's.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

@demagogue,

If you achieve your goal with the Werebeast, would I be able to use it for just "standing around"? I'd wanted to put it into WS6 as a museum exhibit. Not alive, just a statue. I couldn't figure out how to do that with what's currently available.

thx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grayman said:

@demagogue,

If you achieve your goal with the Werebeast, would I be able to use it for just "standing around"? I'd wanted to put it into WS6 as a museum exhibit. Not alive, just a statue. I couldn't figure out how to do that with what's currently available.

thx

You can probably do that now with what is on SVN, using the ambient AI method.  Although if you don't want it to move at all, you might need to hack a new animation by isolating a single frame of the idle.md5anim.

• Like 1

So this is the last I can see on the topic.  I guess those animations/ik was never tested?

edit:  Ok, gave it a quick whirl...the ik isn't very convincing at the moment (if it's working at all), and I can't get the included pain or run animations to work.  In fact, none of the animations offered by Destined appear to do anything, though I don't see any obvious reason why.

Ok, this is strange. The last time I worked on it, the animations were working. The IK was implemented via trial and error by me, as I had no real knowledge about it. I just copied, what I could find in other AI and tried to transfer it to the Werebeast. The main problem (as far as I can remember) were slopes above a certain degree, which made the animation look very unnatural (anything above 20-30°, if I remember correctly). This was also the reason, why I stoped working on it: I simply did not know what I was doing and transfering what I could find was not enough to make it work properly ?

In case, the files on SVN are not up to date, this is the lastest version I have:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t97u6lm914fen7o/werebeast.pk4?dl=0

I had problems with my hard drives some time ago and had quite a lot of data loss, so these are the only files I have. Another reason that dampened my motivation.

You'll want to use patches to achieve a round effect:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Patches

Most relevant to you would be Cylinders and Cones (for the inside and outside walls), and curves (for filling the gap between around the rim). The patch inspector (shift+s) is also your friend when forcing subdivisions to be the same, thus avoiding holes where things meet up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2019 at 7:05 AM, Springheel said:

Actually, I just went in and tested this, and the werebeast DOES appear to have a ragdoll--he collapsed when I killed him (though the legs bend the wrong way).

So now I'm not sure what's keeping him from being usable, beyond a limited range of animations.

darkmod_2019-09-21_17.20.23.jpg

We have a full vocal set ready for him to go as well. I’ve used it a couple of times for undead creatures. 

If we decide that it needs to be expanded upon for extra idle growls or attacking noises I’ll gladly track down some but I think for the most part it’s a complete set. 

I haven’t looked in the SVN but does he have a def file and everything too?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aosys said:

You'll want to use patches to achieve a round effect:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Patches

Most relevant to you would be Cylinders and Cones (for the inside and outside walls), and curves (for filling the gap between around the rim). The patch inspector (shift+s) is also your friend when forcing subdivisions to be the same, thus avoiding holes where things meet up.

Ha having a duh moment, the answered lied right after the place I stopped reading the article last. All I’ve really messed with so far is beveled edges and uneven ground. Common sense ain’t common in my case so thanks for the reminder haha.

• Like 1

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

Thanks :) And this won't be my Braeden map that I showed you oh so long ago. This will still take place in the north, just not there.

Edited by Amadeus

Fantastic work Amadeus!

Great work on your architecture and detailing there! I especially love the internal shot of that shop in the third picture. 

Thanks Goldwell! I'd hope you'd like it because I definitely took a lot of inspiration from your maps, haha. I'm really excited to have finally gotten this in a pretty decent state

• Like 1

I did! I'm taking the time to make some custom furniture  (just with brushes, these wont be any custom models because I dont know how to use blender). Some of it is actually inspired by my own furniture, haha

Edited by Amadeus