The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Mapping to me feels a lot like learning an instrument, at the start it's very basic and you are covering/trying to duplicate others work but as time goes on and you find your way you can even get better than the people who inspired you.

This!

I always show my work to my friends and work colleagues and they usually something like "I wish I could do that." I always tell them it's like learning an instrument. At first your not making music your just learning notes and scales. Stick with it and eventually your not thinking of notes and scales and your just making music.

At first mapping is just clicking on points of a grid but eventually you beging to make pictures but instead of using a pen and paper your doing it by clicking on points on a grid just like you would draw with a pen and paper.

Like most things in life it just comes down to practice.

Oh and as for the contest it's not about winning, to me it's just there to help stir the pot of slumbering mappers so we all get some more great TDM content to play :)

And this!

Edited by Sir Taffsalot
  • Like 4

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Some pics of the courtyard I've been working on. All the building work for The Angel's Tear is now complete.

<snip>

Beautiful open outdoor areas with good fps in TDM? <3 awesome! Can't wait to play. Do you have a rough ETA yet?

Edited by Goldwell

According to my schedule it should be ready for beta testing in two weeks but I want to release it along with the two other installments of Vengeance for a Thief so it's a three part campaign. Before I do that I want a to fix a few bugs in the other two installments and make a few new areas so if people decide to play them again then will have something new to look forward to. I reckon this will be done by Xmas and assuming beta testing will take a few weeks then the Complete Vengeance campaign should be released early next year.

• Like 1

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Take a look at the boat in the training mission. It's bound to a func_pendulum that goes up and down.

• Like 1

One more pic before i go to another area.

http://imagizer.imag.../910/12tueW.jpg

Really nice. I love the yellow lights, gives it a very peculiar mood.

Also, if you didn't yet figure out how to make those boats float in the waves from the Training Mission, you can also check Breaking out the Fence. IIRC the boats were just doors that get constantly triggered.

Edit: The map with boats is Breaking Out. Thanks numbers :D

Edited by kyyrma

Really nice. I love the yellow lights, gives it a very peculiar mood.

Also, if you didn't yet figure out how to make those boats float in the waves from the Training Mission, you can also check In a Time of Need. IIRC the boats were just doors that get constantly triggered.

Are you sure it was in In a Time of Need? Because I betatested that mission and do not recall any boats.

• Like 1

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

One more pic before i go to another area.

http://imagizer.imag.../910/12tueW.jpg

Looking good. But the sewer grates placed on the bottom should be lower then the surroundings, as their intention is to let rain water flow into it. This wouldn't hapen if they are placed higher as in your shots.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hey guys,

So I'm still working on the second wing of the manor. There's a long way to go (need to put in gameplay, loot, etc), but it's shaping up pretty nicely so I thought I'd share. Crits/places where I can improve are always welcome!

Lush, rich, filthy-rich, luxorious in-door scenes, that's what TDM is good at, and what you show to almost perfection here. Congrats! Looking forward to this mission!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@Tels, thanks for the encouragement :-).

@Biker, yeah that's just bad planning on my part. I put up the plaster trims and then realized that the ceiling braces just didn't look good without wood trim around them. I think at this point it's just too much work to fix though (unless other people think it's worth the effort of course).

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

One of the thing i realy like it in TDS was the shop´s system, were Garrett could sell and buy objects and information, if i remember could even add more objectives in that mission. Can we do that in TDM or what @AB is showing in the post is him trying to do something like that?