The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

No, a decal is the right way to go, it just looked like that rectangle shadow might be the bottom of a small brush that is casting a shadow.

Wow, I completely read your post wrong. I figured out what those shadows were. I had two extra patches under it. Anyway, I'm working a fake job for the next two weeks where I get a lot of time to sit around and do whatever I want on my computer. Im looking forward to making some good progress.

• Like 3

Some very intriguing designs you've got there Jack! As a firm believer in the use of material blends, I'd suggest a vertex paint for cliffs if you hadn't considered it. With newest versions of DR able to support LWO format, it's a fantastic way to fake depth and crevice information (visually). Last year I put together a tutorial just for that purpose (of painting DR based geometry)... http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Vertex_Painting_in_Lightwave

More reading on the subject if you're interested in the method... https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/idtech/vertex-texture-blending-applied-to-models.php

• Like 2

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello Goldwell,

Great. As always. Wizard.

Regarding picture #1: is this a new skybox or is it something I can find in the standard package as well?

There are a few elements at play there, for one the skybox is a custom one created by the very talented Sotha, he used it in his final mission for the Thomas Porter series called The Lich Queen's Demise. Additionally there are also some lighting and fog tricks that help to add to that dusk feeling.

Brilliant indeed!

Just reading your roadmap makes me tired, I really admire your effort and talent, man, I mean, Ive been wrestling with a concept map for months now, and its barely more than a few skteched scenes. Good luck with it, looking great so far.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

@Goldwell:

The "rainy street in Grimwood district" video with its hypnotizing calm reminds on the latest Frost/Lynch TV series I watched last week with its long scenes without movement - and I remember your "Red Room" like music in AC2 when talking to the thief...

After connecting the dots I come to the conclusion that you must be a huge fan of Twin Peaks! :)

• Like 1

@Goldwell:

The "rainy street in Grimwood district" video with its hypnotizing calm reminds on the latest Frost/Lynch TV series I watched last week with its long scenes without movement - and I remember your "Red Room" like music in AC2 when talking to the thief...

After connecting the dots I come to the conclusion that you must be a huge fan of Twin Peaks! :)

Thank you! I try my hardest to create really atmospheric scenes so it makes me happy to know that it's working :)

It's funny you bring that up because i've never seen Twin Peaks, but a friend has been recommending I watch that series for a while now. So I guess it's all just a happy little coincidence ;)

Ah OK, I grabbed that off a random model.

The stand is almost there, some touch ups and a shadow model. I'll probably do an lod too, it's at 3000 tris right now.

attachicon.gifdisplay stand.jpg

Any chance these ever ended up in a repository somewhere?

Indeed, very good texturing... I like the subtle warp effect on the glass, and specially like the metal work, how it stands out on its own. Great job. Just be careful when mixing this with stock furniture, as most tend to have texture maps with lower resolutions.

• Like 1

Thanks, it's always nice when someone notices the details and amount of work that goes into this :) For my project I'm making every model, surface, and texture from scratch, so using 2k textures won't be a problem, but when the model pack gets released, mappers will have freedom to scale it down, if they want to mix it with base TDM assets.