The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Dont know if that's new for anyone but i found that the ladder material can be used to make for example a slideable rope.

Another bit of Mirror's Edge gameplay slips in. :ph34r:

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

(after the tutorial which I didn't complete because I was to eager to start making my own missions ;) )

I know that feeling. But please make sure you understood the mechanics of visportals completely before you move on fleshing out your map. There are some things you just can't do very well with many modern engines including id Tech 4. It's a pain having to reshuffle your map in the end because performance is too low.

Overally if set up nice, this feels quite like the thing, the speed, the getting on/off.. and there is no damage involved as far as i tested. On my testmap i slided down quite a height on a long rope and the player made it just fine, he couldnt slide up or anything i think its mostly issue-free besides the unrealisticness of when the player holds something and still pulls it off.

Hmn, youtube? :)

Interesting. I've never tried playing with the ladder material that way.

I did something similar to a shimmy-ing rope using the rope arrow's ragdoll rope. It took some clever mapping and ragdoll (AF) editing, but I got something that worked okay.

http://sites.google...doublerope2.wmv

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

i've got climbable pipes, chains, poles, ladders, in my map, but how do you add the players footsteps to the ladder texture, currently the player climbs the material silently even though I've seen sound files for the player climbing ladders.

Blimey and here was I thinking I was the masternook maker, I really like the way the street looks, very 'busy' and closed in. Can I ask how you did the surface of the street..?

Thanks. :) I made the surface of the street in the most inefficient way possible, as I had no idea what I was doing when I started this map two years ago. I made the center channel first, and then put two brushes on either side and *rotated* them to make them slant. Now I would just manipulate the verts.

The curve at the corner I made with a model.

I would love to see this in Dr..

Here you go:

post-9-126766376029_thumb.jpg

tried creating some textures:

post-73-126765511766_thumb.jpg

also i discovered something while trialing with making maps:

Dont know if that's new for anyone but i found that the ladder material can be used to make for example a slideable rope.

All you need to do is put it vertically(slightly ramping in the sliding direction) up in the air just in height so the player can "reach" it ,

if the player jumps on it, he slides down on it as long as he keeps direction of it ( a wider ladder surface means its easier not to fall off )

Overally if set up nice, this feels quite like the thing, the speed, the getting on/off.. and there is no damage involved as far as i tested. On my testmap i slided down quite a height on a long rope and the player made it just fine, he couldnt slide up or anything i think its mostly issue-free besides the unrealisticness of when the player holds something and still pulls it off.

I don't understand. Can you explain this more please? How does the invisible ladder material become a rope? And in my experience, the ladder material is always clingable and climbable so if you jump to it then you stick to it in the normal way.

I made a vertical rope out of a patch cylinder and surrounded it with a ladder brush and it worked as one would expect a ladder to work; you could climb up and down.

Or perhaps you mean you made not a vertical ladder but a horizontal ladder slightly tilted upwards and you cling to underneath and slide? I've not tried that. And if so, do you mean you slide immediately, without choice? Or do you mean you use the crouch slide control?

Fidcal: yes, horizontal, sorry i mistyped it,and i am not sure but the ladder texture should face away from the player, well i lost the testmap but i will redo it in a sec.

So here it is. There is a steeper rope where the player takes a little damage upon arriving and there is another that starts from a lower point which transfers without damage(to the left from the starting point, you cant see it from above because i unfortunatly just made a one faced rope). Mortem's version definitely looks better however.

Slide.map (use noclip to descend to the other rope)

I made a vertical rope out of a patch cylinder and surrounded it with a ladder brush and it worked as one would expect a ladder to work; you could climb up and down.

The rope is just visual, the work is done by just a surface of ladder, another mesh, brush, patch -> that is the rope, is placed above that and is just a regular brush mesh etc.

Edited by _Atti_

Hmm, it might be better and more efficient (also more organic) if you make the roads out of patches, and beneath then place a solid material (nodrawsolid should do). That way you avoid the possibility of BSP holes popping up from fine brush incisions. There are many ways that this can be achieved, also having the road bend to the left nicely can be done by creating a straight patch across a brush section of road, copy the material and UV to the patch, and then manipulate the patch into a turn. This is what I did in the caves of BM. Overall it gives you more freedom, because the patch can be edited to even grid sizes of below 1 and will not cause errors.

Apart from my pendantic note, it looks awesome ;) Good stuff Spring.

The only thing to watch out for with putting climbable material on normally non-climbable things is that the player may not guess that that particular (let's just say) part of wall is climbable or not etc. Though I doubt FM makers would make a mistake such as this.

Nice website Dram...

I guess if the end of the slidy rope lands you in water then you wouldn't take any damage.

The way the ladder texture works, if you wander too close to it, you stick to it, even if your not going to use it or notice where its been put.

I agree with Dram that patches might be a better approach to the roadways. You'll just need to have real brushwork below the patches but somewhat close

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

its entirely too early to be posting screenshots, but i figured i'd throw in a couple streetlamps and do it anyway. Here is a shot of (most) of the front wing of the mansion i'm building. the trim is far from done, and i want to put up a lot of ivy overgrowth etc etc, but the general concept is definitely there.

th_ss1.jpg

• Like 1

its entirely too early to be posting screenshots, but i figured i'd throw in a couple streetlamps and do it anyway. Here is a shot of (most) of the front wing of the mansion i'm building. the trim is far from done, and i want to put up a lot of ivy overgrowth etc etc, but the general concept is definitely there.

th_ss1.jpg

It's looking great, how is the visportaling going?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Looks great. Side tip for the future: I know you only threw in the lamp posts but keep in mind to set most such lights to noshadows 1 else it casts its own shadow which normally would be very diffuse, almost nothing. So instead of having a pool of light below the lamp post one gets a pool of dark.

Looks great. Side tip for the future: I know you only threw in the lamp posts but keep in mind to set most such lights to noshadows 1 else it casts its own shadow which normally would be very diffuse, almost nothing. So instead of having a pool of light below the lamp post one gets a pool of dark.

Well fid, actually.......

th_light.jpg

not its own shadow!

Hey, just a little message to say that I'm taking a break from TDM. I still haven't got myself a new PC and I don't have much money. I was making a map for the Christmas contest, but found it too tough fighting with the laptop I'm using.

Some of the missions play well, but on the whole it's unsatisfying on this hardware.

I will be back soon.   :)

(I miss Dark Radiant)

Here's a little bit of friendly criticism of a lot of screenshots I see: Yellow, yellow, yellow. I know it's the fire and the brick/wood, etc - and also early drafts - but there's no harm playing with some other subtle ambient colours for mood. I think this is why the red and blue wallpaper textures are really striking in a good way right now. There's plenty of space elsewhere to play with mood and colour.

Cool! I like the gaps in the floorboards and the realistic roof supports.

Well fid, actually.......

th_light.jpg

not its own shadow!

Yeah I thought it was a bit extreme. You see the problem though. In reality the light cast down would be so diffuse that there would be little or no shadow. Imagine standing under that lamp to read a newspaper; it's the darkest place.