The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

not mapping my entry at all. I'm thinking I might need to forfeit...

Ahhhhh....

Dammit!

I was afraid that might happen.

Well, at least you're up to something constructive; more than I can claim.

Still looking forward to what you're up to; I know it'll be well worth the wait.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I've been bogged down in what I call low-value work. Sometimes you can build many in one little session and other times you can build little in many sessions. It feels like I've been stuck for two weeks just fiddling with the start area - much of it trying to get the water surface to look reasonable, fiddling with splash particles, surface materials, murk matching, etc. Now I'm so sick of it I don't even know if it looks stupid anymore. I have a fake reflect which hardly shows now for the murk and the moon is on the wrong side to the real moon in the sky - d'oh! I'm wondering whether to get rid of that reflect. I see no clouds anymore only the moon. It seems to rely on the brightness of the water so if the water is dark and murky then it doesn't show much. Now I got some rippling that vaguely looked like scattered reflections of street lighting but the water is supposed to be slowly moving so when I did that these 'reflections' slowly move along which they wouldn't in RL they would stay still and the ripples go through them. d'oh! And does anyone care? No, they will race through this section in 60 seconds and say they finished the FM in 23 minutes so why bother and IwishIwasdead.

But there is some good stuff so I'll focus on that and come back to the start another time maybe. I might possibly post a screenshot of the good open area part I did which I think is great but maybe it's a spoiler. I played through from the start yesterday and it still impresses me when I get there both visually and sounds. Did I do that? Erm... not really. I just stick some Dark Mod stuff together and it comes out good.

OK, a couple of downsized rotoscopes which give a flavour but without giving too much away. In game it looks better. First part of the city area by Squill - you've probably already seen a video of this and I've not changed much except visportalling, start and connect areas, etc.

post-400-127891963291_thumb.jpg

Then the Thaskbury House area which includes some SiyahParsomen buildings. You've seen this before too but I'm not going to say where except it's on the wiki at http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Design_%26_Build_Methods:_Getting_Started - yes this is really THREE years old and I've only just got back to it.

post-400-127891967268_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Know what, I really like these. How do you do this graphical style? I might want to use it for briefings/loading screens later.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Fidcal: thanks! ...mmm, I wonder if this function could be called in a mission... :ph34r:

Bikerdude: I wouldn't even dream of fitting this into the competition boundaries. I toyed with turning the initial area into a separate mission and reusing it later, but finally decided against it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I've been bogged down in what I call low-value work. Sometimes you can build many in one little session and other times you can build little in many sessions. It feels like I've been stuck for two weeks just fiddling with the start area - much of it trying to get the water surface to look reasonable, fiddling with splash particles, surface materials, murk matching, etc. Now I'm so sick of it I don't even know if it looks stupid anymore. I have a fake reflect which hardly shows now for the murk and the moon is on the wrong side to the real moon in the sky - d'oh! I'm wondering whether to get rid of that reflect. I see no clouds anymore only the moon. It seems to rely on the brightness of the water so if the water is dark and murky then it doesn't show much. Now I got some rippling that vaguely looked like scattered reflections of street lighting but the water is supposed to be slowly moving so when I did that these 'reflections' slowly move along which they wouldn't in RL they would stay still and the ripples go through them. d'oh! And does anyone care? No, they will race through this section in 60 seconds and say they finished the FM in 23 minutes so why bother and IwishIwasdead.

You and I are in experiencing very similar issues with water. Its been a long, painful journey of getting not much practical work accomplished.

Yeah, water surfaces are something we really do need someone to work on, depth murking specifically is something I would love to see, maybe rebb/jc etc have an idea on how to do this effectively? if we don't have some animated rippling flow, that would also be nice :)

We already have a choice of murks: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Water#Coloured_and_Murky_Water Use it on the water gui and also use that texture on a surface patch otherwise it can be murky underwater but clear from above (or vice versa.)

It's reasonable but not perfect because it is a constant overlay no matter what the distance whereas murk should be like fog. Unfortunately foglights are even more of a problem imo.

As for the surface ripples there is a choice and the stream one flows along. Note that you can change the speed and direction of the flow by rotating and scaling the texture. But keep in mind this is just the surface. For a fast flow you need to consider a force field. I used that material and modified it in combo with the green surface and a very slow flow.

I also placed a very big shallow parallel light just skimming the surface to try to emphasise the bump map. This was because I was using a very murky underlay so much of that rippling was lost. Even then in the end I had to change the green surface texture to bright yellow. The result was dark murky grey green water with pale green ripple highlights which gave me the impression of it catching highlights from the surrounding city streets. But by then I had reached a point where I no longer trusted my own judgement anymore! :wacko:

Then the Thaskbury House area which includes some SiyahParsomen buildings.

Since I don't want any credit from authors, I would like to see my prefabs in fan missions w/o knowing they were used. :) In other words, just make a surprise for me. :D

Edited by SiyahParsomen

Since I don't want any credit from authors, I would like to see my prefabs in fan missions w/o knowing they were used. :) In other words, just make a surprise for me. :D

Too late - I'd already put a credit in the readme. haha ;) It will still be a surprise when you step outside and see the view. I love it.

"Anticipation is more rewarding than surprise" - somebody probably.

And does anyone care? No, they will race through this section in 60 seconds and say they finished the FM in 23 minutes so why bother and IwishIwasdead.

Somehow, this part makes me feel guilty.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Yes you should be. Bravo.