The Dark Mod Forums

run cycle question

Noisycricket

I tried testing a new female walk cycle on the idle_animations map just now and the speed of the character and the animation are slowed. Any idea on how I can test it at a proper speed?

EDIT: I noticed the previous 18 frame animation played much too fast for the run speed of the game, thus im thinking it was slowed down with a modifier, anyone who were it is in the code so i can change it/them?

It's somewhere in the defs, look for anim_rate:

atdm:ai_humanoid in def/tdm_ai_humanoid.def:

"anim_rate_run" "0.8"

Although I don't see any walk anim rate modifiers - are you sure the anim is created with 24 FPS?

Im pretty sure, because the animation has no feet sliding in maya or the game, yet it is much slower in the game, so i think its a modifier issue and squill's normal run cycle is too fast for the games run speed, thus it would make sense to apply a modifier to it.

The diff function of TortoiseSVN shows a line in both my .md5anim and the old file which reads "framerate 24". I guess that means its 24fps?

Do we want the run speed to be the same as the males by the way? If so, i could just shrink the animation down to 18 frames after im done doing it using 24 frames to get a natural feeling during playback. Hmm

After changing it to 1 i saw an much faster anim running at a faster speed, with no feet sliding. Also, inserting the default run back in resulted in a much faster animation than im used to (which looked much more realistic btw, judging from the amount of ground being covered, but im assuming the team has already discussed this)

i'm not sure the 18 frames runcycle is the current run being used. I remember i created a much slower run (24 frames), which is also called something with "runcycle_slower" in the model_src/proguard folder. With 18 frames the animation looked more like a sprint.

Do we want the run speed to be the same as the males by the way? If so, i could just shrink the animation down to 18 frames after im done doing it using 24 frames to get a natural feeling during playback. Hmm

I would say keep it the same speed. I'll be shrinking the mesh/animations for the female characters anyway, so they'll wind up be somewhat shorter/slower than taller males.

I finished a preliminary verison of the female run cycle. In the time that i spent on youtube looking for references, I didn't find much that was significantly different from a male run. There are certainly small differences, but not many major ones, that i saw. So I'm going to review the walk and run when the female model is attached.

I'm rigging the noblewoman and should be done in a few days. Keep in mind the vast majority of our female characters will have dresses, so you might want to do something special with the skirt joints.