The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Patently Dangerous (2009/10/31)

demagogue

FM Rating  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Story

2. 2. Gameplay

3. 3. Aesthetics

Thanks for your prompt reply and help. Yes , I have tried on easy level , no joy. Still trying to find the malloc temp file. As I said I'm not that great on computers , but I'll persevere when I find time. I have 1536 mb ram on board so guess this should be enough?

Hi Gold1

I've had malloc errors before, I've found it to be common for people with only onboard video cards (in relation to the graphics memory as opposed to onboard ram)

What is your graphics card?

Hi Gold1

I've had malloc errors before, I've found it to be common for people with only onboard video cards (in relation to the graphics memory as opposed to onboard ram)

What is your graphics card?

Hi ! It's a Radeon 9550. Pretty basic i know but for Dark Mod i've set it to basic levels.It also works well with Doom3.

There is no such file. When you close a program, all the memory being used by that program gets cleaned up automatically. (In rare cases, a reboot may be necessary to free up resources other than memory, but I doubt this is the problem in this case.)

1536 MB should certainly be enough.

Thanks for the explanation !

Hi Gold1,

I would imagine your Radeon could be the culprit. Do the other darkmod fm's work?

Yes , all worked o.k without any jerkiness , halting , crashes. I've tried all sorts of things to make Patently Dangerous work as they did , even trying to run it in a small window and with the graphics reduced to a minimum , no joy. I won't give up easily though , that mission looks well worth playing , just may have to wait a bit !

Tried the mission again today.Graphics started to jerk then freeze.Checked it out with Task Manager and found that Doom 3 was using 330000 k of ram with 95% cpu use. Although my computer has 1536 mb ram a total of 1.4 gb was being used according to TM . I had to turn Dark Mod off via TM because usuage was staying between 320000 and 335000 k of ram. Is this normal? It seems to be some sort of memory problem rather than the graphics card itself.

Thanks for any help you've given me on this one folks. I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that this mission is patently dangerous , for my computer ! I've tried my hardest but all I ever get with this mission in spite of carrying out faithfully the suggestions made above are freeze after freeze interspersed with crashes. However , every other mission including the latest , Thieves , plays perfectly on my computer , so rather than continuing to change my settings for this mission alone I am going to call a halt with it. Maybe , I'll be able to get it to play properly in the future. It did look good though and I struggled to getting on Harlan's roof but believe me that was a struggle given the above constraints! Maybe it will be revamped sometime with some of the obvious glitches ironed out? Thanks again.

I appreciate the effort you went to to play it.

I'm trying to put up a YouTube video walkthrough, so you can watch that when that goes up if you like (as soon as I figure out why YT is blackening entire walls? Maybe it doesn't like the native encoding?). I'll post here with a link when it works.

Edit: Alright, I figured out the preferred encoding and it works great. One part is up on YouTube now, but it might take some time to get the other parts up.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I appreciate the effort you went to to play it.

I'm trying to put up a YouTube video walkthrough, so you can watch that when that goes up if you like (as soon as I figure out why YT is blackening entire walls? Maybe it doesn't like the native encoding?). I'll post here with a link when it works.

Edit: Alright, I figured out the preferred encoding and it works great. One part is up on YouTube now, but it might take some time to get the other parts up.

Well thanks for that and all your efforts on this super little mission. I'll check out YouTube with interest ! Maybe I'll be able to play it right through in the future ( crosses his fingers ! )

Well thanks for that and all your efforts on this super little mission. I'll check out YouTube with interest ! Maybe I'll be able to play it right through in the future ( crosses his fingers ! )

Just watched it , great stuff. Look forward to the next three parts especially as I couldn't complete it due to freezes. Loved the way your computer ran it soooooo smoothly !

Yeah ... Notice the part where I dropped the cheese on the floor but still picked it up and ate it!? :laugh:

YouTube is buggy as hell though ... I keep having to re-upload the parts when an upload fails, and each time takes like 2 hours. But the rest are coming in their own sweet time...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah ... Notice the part where I dropped the cheese on the floor but still picked it up and ate it!? :laugh:

10-second rule! ^_^

(PSA: The 10-second rule is totally bogus. Do not use it in RL.)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Just watched parts 2 and 3 of your mission on You tube demagogue .Very good , and nice to be able to see what would have happened if I could have got that far ! Seems to me that You Tube is an excellent way of doing a walk through of a mission. Would love to know your computer specs as the mission seems to play so well on it.

I have to re-do Part 4 (I died!). But it's coming.

My specs are on the wiki (http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Known_System_Configurations):

* CPU: AMD Athlon 2650e 1.60 GHz

* Ram: 2GB

* GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce430

* Performance: On my own Patently Dangerous, running at 800x600, no AA, Ambient and Interactive Shading on "Standard". Usually 40+ FPS inside and 20 outside on the streets. I'm also running it off an external hard-drive; not sure if that slows things down a little. IMPORTANT: I noticed in the "Video" settings, if I set "Interactive Shading" to "High Quality" (which is currently the default setting in the release version), a lot of brushes start getting large white-out video artifacts (You'll see them in the Training Mission sparring area). You can get rid of them by switching Interactive Shading to "Standard". This problem was also reported by someone with a 6800GT (TelMarine, but SneaksieDave, also with a 6800 didn't report it, whatever that tells you.)

* DarkRadiant: No problems.

OK, oK, maybe it is just me, but

I cant get into bensons window. I am at the house that has the police notice on the door. By the note in another house I figured there was a window to be opened here.

I have climbed the tree, up to the first tier and easily got to the 1st level window on the right. That did not highlight. So I went up to the 2nd tier branches and tried to jump to the 2nd set of window ( up one level = 3rd story of the house) - when jumping I kept getting knocked by tree branches, fall short of the window or many times fell manuvering among the branches to get closer to the window. What am I missing? Should I just keep trying? If there is a window to be opened, I dont think it should be this tough.

I've stopped trying after 20 tries.

Any hints?

Thanks!

I should do an update version of this sometime ... Then I plan on

making sure the window by the tree opens too, so that this part isn't as frustrating. Until then, like Fidcal said, try that wall again...

I fell foul of that bit too. :(

"Fell" being the operative word. As in, a lot. :laugh::mellow:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

First of Demagogue, loved it.

Just got round to reading this thread and got something to say on the linear thing.

I got up onto the roofs by jumping from the raised area behind the tunnel onto the Edgars roof (is it Edgar?)

When you're stood on that raised area, the gable end looks like it's pitched, (maybe because I'm a builder and those tiles would be murder to hang vertical) so I just ran and jumped and landed on a little ledge and from there the roof ways were open. I thought that was the way we were supposed to go and the barrel/ladder was the sign post.

In fact it was only when reading this thread that I realised Benson/Harlans was the route, I thought that was all just part of the excellent backstory.

So there are multiple ways through as it stands

Oh, big grin when the guard in Bensons saw me and told me he was gonna piss on my corpse!

Edited by Namdrol

Just finished this mission yesterday. Definitely the best out of all the FMs I've played so far. Story was great, architecture was interesting and there was plenty of climbing to be done. Also, the mission was *dark*, in both senses of the word. Some FMs I play seem to turn the ambient light up too high or something, so I can never feel like I'm actually hidden when I'm in the shadows. Loot was logically placed and the patrol routes were long enough that you don't feel like the NPCs are automations going around a go-kart track.

In the end, I beat Soren senseless and stuffed him in his own

ammonia locker for being a world-class douchebag. I was unfortunately too paranoid to be surprised by Crattick. Creepy door at the end of the hallway? Locked closet behind me? My horror movie logic kicked in, so I just hid in the corner and jacked him from behind. In the end I was debating on whether I should stuff Crattick in the ammonia locker with Soren, but realized that justice might not be served in that case. I settled on dumping Crattick's unconcious body outside, alongside one of his victims and then shooting a noisemaker arrow at him to attract the guards. Let's see the bastard wiggle out of that one!

Although I wasn't frightened by the closet, I was startled by something much more mundane -- after leaving Soren's lab by exiting on the ground floor, I ran right into a guard inside the house! Was he supposed to be in there, or did he hear me bumping around? Do the patrol routes change mid-mission? I even had my lantern out -- it was only by a magical stroke of luck that I was just outside his peripheral vision, and managed to hammer the blackjack button before I knew what I was doing.

Only one criticism, the same that other people have been making -- I would have liked more physics-enabled junk to play with. I would particularly have liked to trash Soren's lab, sweeping all of his vials off his desk with a broomhandle.

• Like 2