The Dark Mod Forums

New SFX thread

New Horizon

edit: I was going to make some sounds for various items that don't have their own sounds yet. I've already made a few, like 4 for the large kitchen knife and 4 for the large wooden spoon. Is there any concern about performance thus far that relate to how many sounds to be used for each thing or am I safe to make 4 for each of the most common items i've thus far seen in maps?

I would imagine that only one copy of each sound effect is loaded into memory regardless of the number of items that use it, so it's not a problem to have dozens of knives in a map all using the same set of sound effects.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Actually, i was wondering about more objects having their own set of sounds effects rather than more sound effects for objects already having sound effects. For now, ill just try and produce 4 sounds for each object I work with which seems over and above what AAA titles have. Its easy enough to create them and easy enough to delete lines in the sound shader files if need be.

I've got some sounds in ogg format im ready to upload, anyone have a preference as to where they should be put. An NC folder in the darkmod directory or a folder in the sound_src directory or...? Average file size is about 15kb...

Yeah, that's a sensible approach.

Are these sounds ready to be used, or are you only asking for feedback?

If the sounds are ready to be used, put them in a logical place in darkmod/sounds/... - categorising by author isn't useful, so try to follow the existing scheme. Also, when you do this, please put non-lossy variants in corresponding locations in sound_src if you can. :) (Even project files and/or raw recordings, if relevant - whatever might be useful to someone trying to export your sounds in higher quality versions in future.)

If you only want feedback and don't want to implement them into the game yet, I guess upload them wherever you like. darkmod repo is probably not the best place in this case.

For non-controversial sounds like cutlery impacts, I'd say go ahead and implement them straight in. If you're tweaking player footsteps, probably best to get feedback first.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

There's a bigger issue than just uploading the sounds and making a soundshader for them (no one will hear them if that's all that is done).

Someone also has to go through the movable entities and decide which ones would be better off using the new sounds rather than the current collision sounds. That's a bit involved, with some potential for disagreements, I imagine.

There's a bigger issue than just uploading the sounds and making a soundshader for them (no one will hear them if that's all that is done).

That's a bit involved, with some potential for disagreements, I imagine.

Agree, thats why i'd just prefer to upload them, let people know they're there and move on to more sounds. I never really planned to overwrite anything.

OK, fine, but who's going to implement them then? :)

I have a pretty good handle of what is being currently used, as I set up a lot of the original movable sounds. I'd be willing to check them out as long as I can find them easily.

Whoa, that's a crapload of sounds. Realistically, I'm not going to be able to go through all of them. It's also not entirely clear to me where you see them being used. What's the difference between arrows/bow_fire1.ogg and variants/bow_fire1.ogg, for example?

Frankly, I'm only interested in the collision sounds, as that's where I did some work in the past and have some sense of what is already being used. I have no real insight into any other sounds.

Theres no difference between those sounds, i accidentally put duplicates in. I did delete them using the Tsvn functions. More collision sounds are in the works, I'm redoing some of them since the X-fi Forte produces less noise.

and frankly, im not uploading these for you... Its for TDM mappers, the users and the TEAM. Do what you will with them, these sounds were originally for me, then for everyone, in the form for a mod after i made more of them, then i posted in forums for the sole purpose of supporting the mod. I don't want that subject to a "what Springheel desires" filter, especially after all that fucking work. No offense intended...

Frankly, I'm only interested in

That was a hell of a statement.

*rant over*

You know, you might want to give people the benefit of the doubt before you fly off the handle. <_<

I offered to help you with actually implementing the sounds, remember? However, I don't have much insight into anything but collision sounds, as I said above. I was trying to tell you the kinds of sounds I can help with, not telling you what kind of sounds you should make.

Without actual sound shaders and entities that call them, your "fucking work" will sit in the sound_src folder unused. If that's all you want, then fine. You clearly don't need any help for that, and I have more than enough other tasks to keep me busy. If you actually want them to be used in game, then you might want to take a more agreeable tone with people who have actually offered to help you.

I'm doing here what i set out to do, which is make them available to the TDM team.

I've uploaded more sounds.

Where did you upload them, I don't see them in the regulard main TDM repository?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

They're being uploaded to the sounds_src repository tels,as Noisycricket stated above. They're the raw sounds, no sound shaders. That's what noisy and springheel were talking about. Spring was saying that his experience was mainly in collision sounds, and currently not the other sfx. Just to recap.