The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Thieves (2009/11/25)

Springheel

A small "Thieves' Guild" map.

Original Map by Silencium

Additional Mapping by RailGun and Fidcal

Story by Springheel

Briefing:

Infiltrate a local gang of independents and remove their leader.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/znjlj2nizhg/thieves.pk4

http://www.southquarter.com/downloads/thieves.pk4

post-9-125919915759_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

wow, perfect time. lets try it...

EDIT:

The mission is really nice but... i played on difficult finished all pbjectives but the mission complete screen does not show up, its just jumping to the desktop :( dont know what went wrong

EDIT2:

Its working on easy, just tried

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Hey guys. Nice short FM, thanks. The performance was pretty low sometimes, but it was fun anyway. However, there were a couple of issues with this FM:

1. There is a leak at the ceiling, when you go down the stairs into the thieves' base, right at the end of the stairs. It was somehow rendered correctly on the screenshot though, so I can't post it here.
  2. The texture-misalignment
    at the front door of the thieves' base instantly gave away the position of the key for the door.
  3. The key 
    supposedly for the metal-chest containing the speciallootitem didn't work on any chest. I had to pick it.
  4. In the sleepingroom of the base, I alerted the guard right next to the chest. He kept turning around a lot, opening and closing the chest he was standing next to repeatedly.

This one is more of a general TDM issue: When a body is shouldered and I hit "frob" without having highlighted anything, I cannot drop the body again. Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I can reproduce it in this FM and in The Outpost. (I checked one other FM to make sure it isn't FM related)

• Like 1

This one is more of a general TDM issue: When a body is shouldered and I hit "frob" without having highlighted anything, I cannot drop the body again. Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I can reproduce it in this FM and in The Outpost. (I checked one other FM to make sure it isn't FM related)

Yeah, I already fixed that in SVN source.

A small "Thieves' Guild" map.

Original Map by Silencium

Additional Mapping by RailGun and Fidcal

Story by Springheel

Briefing:

Infiltrate a local gang of independents and remove their leader.

http://www.mediafire...zhg/thieves.pk4

http://www.southquar...ads/thieves.pk4

Nice look, but it crashes every time I try to reload -- after the initial load. ie, I can load from quicksave at the start of the session but only once. Makes me extra cautious I guess. I'll have to see what happens if I try to reload from permanent save. I have XP and plenty of memory. haven't had this problem with any of the other missions.

Edited by fhapgood

Nice & fun map. One strange thing occured though.

I tried to shoot the traitor/leader. Missed him, hit the chair or something.

He stood up, "Who's there?" and then he opened the chest beside the bed.

Why did he do that ?

Edited by Chiron

Nice for a good 40 minutes of thieving. My main quibble is that the textures are maybe too bright and too clean, even with decals applied to them. Some of it is a general problem of available resources (TDM is somewhat lacking in appropriately dark, TDPish textures), but I think a little bit more could be done on this front. Also, using that roof texture should be a punishable offense. You know the one. B)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Anyone else played on hard? Can you see the Mission complete screen?

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Nice & fun map. One strange thing occured though.

I tried to shoot the traitor/leader. Missed him, hit the chair or something.

He stood up, "Who's there?" and then he opened the chest beside the bed.

Why did he do that ?

Probably tried to get the dagger :D (In reality, the AI probably thought the lid is in the way and tried to get it out of the way by opening it. Yeah, computers are dumb :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Nice for a good 40 minutes of thieving. My main quibble is that the textures are maybe too bright and too clean, even with decals applied to them. Some of it is a general problem of available resources (TDM is somewhat lacking in appropriately dark, TDPish textures), but I think a little bit more could be done on this front. Also, using that roof texture should be a punishable offense. You know the one. B)

Well, yeah, if it was by me, more work should have gone into the mission - but it was released anyway. But I think nobody would mind if someone updated the mission :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Well, yeah, if it was by me, more work should have gone into the mission - but it was released anyway.

And how is your map coming, anyway?

This FM was originally built by a beginner in about a month way back in April - no, even a bit earlier and is a fun 30 to 40 minute FM. The author has since moved on after which probably another month of work has been done fixing things plus endless testing (plus Dark Mod was still being developed so textures, chests, other stuff broke and had to be redone.) No matter how nice an FM is beta testers will tell you they can get heartily sick of re-testing 10 times. The problem is finding volunteers willing to sacrifice their own FM to work on this for another month just to enhance it by 2%. The alternative was to shelve it until someone turns up happy to do this. In which case the FM would probably never have been released. IMO it was better to release it as is.

We need to be ready to be tolerant of any FMs made for the Christmas competition and not have high expectations of beautiful architecture and texturing. :)

This FM was originally built by a beginner in about a month way back in April - no, even a bit earlier and is a fun 30 to 40 minute FM. The author has since moved on after which probably another month of work has been done fixing things plus endless testing (plus Dark Mod was still being developed so textures, chests, other stuff broke and had to be redone.) No matter how nice an FM is beta testers will tell you they can get heartily sick of re-testing 10 times. The problem is finding volunteers willing to sacrifice their own FM to work on this for another month just to enhance it by 2%. The alternative was to shelve it until someone turns up happy to do this. In which case the FM would probably never have been released. IMO it was better to release it as is.

We need to be ready to be tolerant of any FMs made for the Christmas competition and not have high expectations of beautiful architecture and texturing. :)

LOLm, yeah... I've spent the last 20 hours of DR time increasing framerates by 15%-20% ish on my own map.... not exactly time well spent.

Now *that* sounds like time *well* spent to me! :laugh: Actually that's a long time - a week for most. But 15% to 20% increase sounds good (until you realize it means someone getting 10 fps now gets 12 - but that's good actually.) Seriously though, poor performance can mean some won't/can't play it but I don't think anyone would *not* play an FM with good gameplay and performance but with some architectural and texture weaknesses. imo anyway. ;)