The Dark Mod Forums

Varying pitch of vocals

Springheel

This was in some design notes for T3, and I thought it would be worth examining for us as well. Is there possibly some kind of keyword that could be added to the sound shaders? It would certainly help for variety of vocals.

• Could we vary the voices by controlling pitch on the fly? Make some guards have a lower voice using the same wav file set.

This was in some design notes for T3, and I thought it would be worth examining for us as well. Is there possibly some kind of keyword that could be added to the sound shaders? It would certainly help for variety of vocals.

Hold on... pitch rendering in real time? Or pitch modifying the voice sets before hand for more choices.

I'm not sure exactly what she meant, but it made me wonder if there couldn't be a way to add something to the vocal soundshader that raised or lowered the pitch of the oggs. It doesn't look like there's anything that could do that by default, but maybe it could be coded in. Then we could make, for example, a soundshader "grumbler_02" that has the pitch set slightly higher than the default grumber. The lines would still be the same but they'd sound slightly different.

A slightly less ideal method would be some kind of batch adjustment of the actual ogg files themselves, which would accomplish the same thing but then require mutliple copies of each vocal set.

To be completely honest, I've already tried this, and going past one full semitone difference (not much), things sound silly and fake. That is with time correction. It also creates a bizarre anti phasing effect, which is really bad for ingame audio, causing it to have the "appearance' pf being stereo, instead of mono.

edit: I could try again with new software, but I think it won't make a difference, methinks.

To be completely honest, I've already tried this, and going past one full semitone difference (not much), things sound silly and fake. That is with time correction. It also creates a bizarre anti phasing effect, which is really bad for ingame audio, causing it to have the "appearance' pf being stereo, instead of mono.

edit: I could try again with new software, but I think it won't make a difference, methinks.

I'm inclined to agree. I have experimented with it myself in the past and found that it did indeed make the audio sound quite bad. Same as you Gold, with time correction. I should have the new 'young' builder set uploaded by sometime next week, and after I get over this outbreak of shingles, one of the female voice actors I auditioned a few years ago is coming in to do a voice set or two. The team might remember listening to her audition files, her name was Jennifer Campbell. Lovely performer.

I'm inclined to agree. I have experimented with it myself in the past and found that it did indeed make the audio sound quite bad. Same as you Gold, with time correction. I should have the new 'young' builder set uploaded by sometime next week, and after I get over this outbreak of shingles, one of the female voice actors I auditioned a few years ago is coming in to do a voice set or two. The team might remember listening to her audition files, her name was Jennifer Campbell. Lovely performer.

Nice!

We need more women voices. My wife is coming in for the voice overs, though I don't think she is "tough" enough for a guard voice (I may be completely wrong, she has been practicing), she can do an amazing anything else. She also does voice acting part time for a children's DVD series.

I don't think she is "tough" enough for a guard voice

If it were up to me we wouldn't have female guard voices at all. Doesn't make much sense in a setting with a totally misogynist religion. Tough whores and even female thieves, sure, and maybe pagan warriors, but regular guards?

I'm sure that people will want them because Thief had them, however.

If it were up to me we wouldn't have female guard voices at all. Doesn't make much sense in a setting with a totally misogynist religion. Tough whores and even female thieves, sure, and maybe pagan warriors, but regular guards?

I'm sure that people will want them because Thief had them, however.

Who is misogynist in TDM? The builder religion?

I think having 1/10 guards being a woman is a welcomed change in scenery.

Who is misogynist in TDM? The builder religion?

Well, it is based on Catholicism, remember. :)

I think having 1/10 guards being a woman is a welcomed change in scenery.

There's also the issue of not having any female guard *models*. Other than the noblewoman, I've got a servant, a wench, and a female thief in varying stages of readiness. The chances of me getting a female guard any time in the next few years is pretty slim.