The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Too Late by Nielsen74 (2009/12/24)

Nielsen74

Check the box against your score for each category:  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling (eg, dead nobleman, empty safe open, items strewn.)

We'd all love a new Nielsen74 mission

Seconed!

Imo 'Too Late' is really one of the most fun 'small' scaled missions.

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm new to the Dark Mod community and have only played 5 or so missions so far. I just wanted to say, that I LOVED the music in this one. It made the atmosphere of the mission so dark and ominous :)

And as others have said, it would be awesome if you could make another one like this! (I prefer missions without zombies/haunts etc. where thieving and looting is the main objective.)

• 4 months later...

I fixed the longstanding issue with the black wall lamp models.

I will have Biker update the mirrors.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/apqygxmzp4ndzz2/too_late.pk4

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/apqygxmzp4ndzz2/too_late.pk4

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I really wanna bring this one up as I this is propably the mission I played through the most.

I recommend Too Late to everyone who still hasn't play this FM yet - especially the beginners (even play this before Tears Of St. Lucia!).

This mission works with simple gameplay mechanics and combines intense level design with the strong sense of tension. It's played through in about half an hour but that's a good thing. One thing I recently saw in 2.0 is that one of the thugs discovered my hiding place and he warned the other foes who immediately drew their swords out and commented the situation. The boss even nearly cought me in his tent where there's no real place to hide.

There's so much tension and joy both that every TDM player should at least try this masterpiece!

Thank you nielsen, for this great mission that made me so happy that often!

• Like 2

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I really wanna bring this one up...

I recommend Too Late to everyone who still hasn't play this FM yet - especially the beginners (even play this before Tears Of St. Lucia!).

Yeah.

I've always said this is the best mission ever made as an introduction to TDM.

And it is.

And so I say.

• Like 1

It's also a good example for mappers. It shows that you don't need large missions or extreme visual eye-candy to create an immersive and challenging mission. Sometims less is more. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for the late post.

This mission was a tough nut to crack on expert without saving. I never found a "clean" solution. The most efficient solution is probably too create a distraction and run away from it, because in some cases you can get every single guard looking for you leaving the loot unattended.

Sorry for the late post.

This mission was a tough nut to crack on expert without saving. I never found a "clean" solution. The most efficient solution is probably too create a distraction and run away from it, because in some cases you can get every single guard looking for you leaving the loot unattended.

You should probably check out my solution here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tj93N9DAj4

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

Very tidy. I didn't know about the extra water arrows.

By most efficient way I meant for a speed run.

I was thinking you could jet into the second room alerting guards then lose them by going up in the rafters, then jumping down to get the scepter while they are out of view. Not sure if the chest can be picked though.

I accidentally had the opportunity to try this once and it looked like it would have worked, again assuming the chest can be picked.