The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Fan Mission Lists: Released and Upcoming

SneaksieDave

Cool! Do I understand correctly that we will meet a new protagonist?

I can write some "tenets of the Lord Builder" / "stories from ye olde badasse churche" style readables later if you wish; I have some practice with them.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Cool! Do I understand correctly that we will meet a new protagonist?

I can write some "tenets of the Lord Builder" / "stories from ye olde badasse churche" style readables later if you wish; I have some practice with them.

Aye, I want to do something new. Ulysses' missions will not be about stealing and finding loot, but making a good plan, buying the right gear and making the perfect hitman-style assassination.

No disguises, though, the normal hiding mechanic is the thing. No loot. I'll also attempt a big emphasis on reactive AI, leaving evidence and witnesses will make things more difficult, so players better clean up the mess they're gonna make...

But yeah, because of the pc religiousness, it would be cool to have some builder books to add atmosphere. I suck writing religious text. I'm too concise to succeed in those. ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 2 months later...

So, anyone have something likely to come out in the next couple of months?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm comfortable now to say I am officially working on a mission. I'm learning as I go, so I am afraid I won't be as quick as other mission designers. Judging from the TDM maps I've seen so far, I'm not sure something as huge as HHSH can be a reality, so I have scaled things back a bit. The working title is "Girl With A Rabbit." Brushwork is coming along nicely, but I have a lot of technical things to figure out.

Thanks ithel! :)

I've added you to the Upcoming Fan Mission wiki.

It's good to take a conservative view when you first start but I'd recommend that you check with Melan to see how big a mission can actually be before you decide on what you believe is possible ;) ...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm intrigued, Ithel!

Don't be discouraged - there are people like Bikerdude who are super helpful if you have troubles. =3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 1 month later...

@BD

Ha ha - sorry, as if your plate wasn't already full! =-P

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions about the main website's Missions page:

- Is it comprehensive of all the DM missions available for download?

- Does it get updated pretty instantly with new releases?

Reason I ask is that sometimes there are gaps of several weeks. If it's just circumstances of timing, then I understand. I just don't want to be missing out on some good missions since that's the only spot I check.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

- Is it comprehensive of all the DM missions available for download?

No. Missions that infringe copyright won't go up there, and really poor quality missions shouldn't either. The wiki list is more complete in that regard.

- Does it get updated pretty instantly with new releases?

No. The above needs to be checked first, and then it depends when someone gets around to uploading.

• 3 months later...

Just touching base. As I own a tax/accounting business, you can imagine what my life is like right now (try 80+ hour workweeks!), but when the busy season is over, I will be returning to the mission-building in earnest.

I didn't want you all to think I'd lost interest.

Added 7 missions to the Upcoming Fan Mission wiki:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Upcoming_Fan_Missions

See if you can spot them ;) ...

I've lost track of Biker's WIP stuff so he'll need to clarify...

I also didn't add Springheel's WIP as I think he's only posted about it in the Status area :laugh: ... we need a teaser in the "What are you working on" thread...

Finally, I am highly dubious of Mr ShadowHide's WIP. He has created MANY example maps but he seems to abandon those works shortly after creation. I hope he

sticks to his guns on this one but I will wait for more WIP details before adding to the wiki B) Who knows, maybe all those examples are part of a mega-mission and

I'll be eating crow over this post...? ^_^

Let me know if I've fallen behind or are otherwise missing something...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I also didn't add Springheel's WIP as I think he's only posted about it in the Status area

I originally wanted to release my own map this summer but with the udpates to St. Lucia and Whiterose that won't happen now. Whiterose should be ready by the time 1.08 is released, however.

I think people will be impressed by the update. It doesn't make any serious changes to the original, but makes what was there much richer and more detailed. The gameplay is also much more challenging on the harder difficulty levels.

• Like 1

I think people will be impressed by the update. It doesn't make any serious changes to the original, but makes what was there much richer and more detailed. The gameplay is also much more challenging on the harder difficulty levels.

Oh you are such a tease! Is there a release date? Or is it set to coincide with 1.08?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Or is it set to coincide with 1.08?

This.

The whole reason we did the update is to turn the map into our showcase 1.08 map, so it will now be bundled with the mod download. That way people are pretty much guarrunteed to play our highest-rated map first, and get the best first impression possible.

• Like 2