The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Parcel by Xonze (2009/12/24)

Xonze

66 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near perfect. Outstanding
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling (eg, dead nobleman, empty safe open, items strewn.)

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent

After lots of beta testing (thanks guys) and fixing I think I'm ready to release my Xmas Fm, The Parcel. Its your standard get in, grab something and get out.

Briefing: "I was expecting a package today just in time for Christmas, but it never showed. The runner never appeared either and I began to wonder what may of happened as Dave has never been late before. I did some digging and I finally found where he is, and where my parcel is as well. This, John Randell, has crossed the wrong guy. It's time to go to work."

Build time: This was built in a little under two weeks. Started December 6th and finished on the 16th before beta testing.

Known issues: Lights look lit even after putting them out. This seems to be a texture bug with the lamp itself.

The Parcel

http://www.southquarter.com/downloads/

Hope you have fun and Happy Holidays!

Xonze

• Like 2

Cant wait to check it out! Thank you.

Edit: Loved the atmosphere, look and feel of this mission and I had alot of fun. Posted a review here with screens for anyone interested in checking it out.

Edited by SneakyJack

Just played it, really nice mission! And its quite large too. I found it a bit easy to hide, i've rarely been spotted. I couldnt finish it on hardest difficulty because i didnt manage to find all the loot even with all the residents ko-d.

I think it was great how the interiors and the exterior were connected and the loot i found was placed well. Little details like the small heap of snow on the statue's head and such made this one very atmospheric.

Hi shadow,

The key is on someone downstairs. Check the guy in green.

Thanks,

Xonze

Very nice mission - nice look, interesting guard placement. Playing on difficult.

Cant find the right bedroom key, where can you get it?

Searching did reveal:

A secret in the fireplace room...

A secret in the bathroom...

Hi Xonze,

Oh gosh,

I must have checked the man thrice. Now I moved him up into the hallway for a better look ... spotting the tiniest red spot.

Thanks finished missing 60 loot :blush:

I think this is a really nice 'mansion-style' mission, and it is very impressive that you did this in two weeks.

Thanks for the great write up sneaky, I really appreciate it! (I was so nervous releasing this as it's the first map I've ever released, but your review made me feel a lot better lol :D)

Just want to mention that it was built in 2 weeks but was beta tested up until today by some excellent people who took time out of their busy holidays to help me. Luckily nothing major had to be changed just some performance tweaks and z-fighting and other tiny glitches.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review of it and play it!

And thanks to everyone else who's played this and voted, I'm really glad you all enjoyed it :D

Happy holidays,

Xonze

Cant wait to check it out! Thank you.

Edit: Loved the atmosphere, look and feel of this mission and I had alot of fun. Posted a review here with screens for anyone interested in checking it out.

Nice littel mansion mission wink.gif finished 95 loot short huh.gif and there was small nitpiks like textures not fitting right and a loot counter that dit not show the last number????

somethingworng.jpg

but all in all a nice mission for a 2 week build smile.gif

Sorry but i cant vote here, it was really nice to play but i just dont know how to vote. For a two weeks work its awesome but you cant compair it to, like Nielsen74s map what is normal because of the time so.... sorry

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Alright its driving me crazy so I have to ask -

What does the secret in the bathroom do? I've frobbed the faucet which makes a noise like something opened but for the life of me I can't find what it opened.

I've combed the mission from top to bottom but still can't figure it out :laugh:

Edited by SneakyJack

Alright its driving me crazy so I have to ask -

What does the secret in the bathroom do? I've frobbed the faucet which makes a noise like something opened but for the life of me I can't find what it opened.

I've combed the mission from top to bottom but still can't figure it out :laugh:

XD yeah that one is hard to find, its behind the bathtub

Edited by Sonosuke
  • Like 1

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

The counter was something I couldn't reproduce on my end, and nothing special was done to it so its odd that it acts that way. All the loot is there, there are two rings that might be a bit hard to fine, but if you're trying to get all the loot it shouldn't be really easy.

Thanks for playing,

Xonze

Nice littel mansion mission wink.gif finished 95 loot short huh.gif and there was small nitpiks like textures not fitting right and a loot counter that dit not show the last number????

somethingworng.jpg

Just played, it is really too easy. The only difficult part is finding the necessary loot as it is well hidden. Maybe you should consider to add a KO limit and no Kill also in normal difficulty.

On the other hand I loved the story, nice and simple. :D

I also rescued the Runner :)

I do not know if it is intended, but the `shop' in the beginning seems meaning that you are an extremely rich man... but yet you go yourself in this kind of jobs.

I hadn't heard it was too easy, but I guess one person's hard is another's easy.

What do you mean shop? If you mean the buying screen in the beginning there shouldn't be anything in there, so not sure what you mean.

Thanks for playing,

Xonze

Just played, it is really too easy. The only difficult part is finding the necessary loot as it is well hidden. Maybe you should consider to add a KO limit and no Kill also in normal difficulty.

On the other hand I loved the story, nice and simple. :D

I also rescued the Runner :)

I do not know if it is intended, but the `shop' in the beginning seems meaning that you are an extremely rich man... but yet you go yourself in this kind of jobs.

What do you mean shop? If you mean the buying screen in the beginning there shouldn't be anything in there, so not sure what you mean.

Way is it there then?

you could just hav added shop_skip 1 to any worldspawn (brush) to skip the shop if there is no need for it!

I couldn't reproduce the error with the loot counter my selv? just a flux I think huh.gif

Edited by Nielsen74

Nice littel mansion mission... ...and a loot counter that dit not show the last number????

somethingworng.jpg

That's a right bugger, that was picked up and fixed.

Edit; although that's the exact same loot score I got when I pm'd xonze with this bug,

When I went over 1000 in loot it only showed 109, rather than 1098.

wrongstst.jpg

Look, despite all this nit picking, the mission is in good shape. The candle that wouldn't stop making noise, the lamps still illuminated and the wrong stats are possibly the biggest errors.

Then on a different (larger ;) ) stat it didn't have this error.

Edited by Namdrol

Probably because I didn't know that you could do that. The loot thing seems to be a bug that pops up from time to time no matter whose mission it is.

Take care,

Xonze

Way is it there then?

you could just hav added shop_skip 1 to any worldspawn (brush) to skip the shop if there is no need for it!

I couldn't reproduce the error with the loot counter my selv? just a flux I think huh.gif

Sneaky,

You can pick him up and carry him out if you really want. He isn't 'dead' just a ragdoll. It isn't an objective because I couldn't get it to work how I wanted, but if you feel like it you can get him out :D

Thank you!

Also -

There is a way to rescue the runner? He's always dead and laying in a bed when I find him?

I hadn't heard it was too easy, but I guess one person's hard is another's easy.

The point is that you can easily KO everyone: there is almost no crossing between guards patrols and the zone is fairly dark and full of carpets.

Think:

Enter, KO the nobleman;

KO the guard just before he goes outside;

KO the guard in the dining room;

Go upside; KO the guard in the corridor (he will stop giving shoulders to the stairs);

Finally KO the last guard in front of the small bedroom;

Loot the place.

The buying screen, yes. The player has an impressive amount of gold! More than 2 millions if I recall... Unfortunately the shop is empty. :D

There are lots of things that take much longer than two weeks to make, like tobacco or babies, so I'm quite stunned that you managed to create this mission in such a short time. I had a lot of fun playing around with the guards and meanwhile looting the place.

Apropos loot, it almost drove me insane :) I just couldn't find enough to complete the objective on expert and was almost willing to give up. Especially the loot above the chimney was impossible to find for me, because I didn't see that the button was highlighted for all the light sources nearby. So in the end I cheated with tdm_showloot. I'm not proud of it :)

• Like 1