The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Parcel by Xonze (2009/12/24)

Xonze

66 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near perfect. Outstanding
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling (eg, dead nobleman, empty safe open, items strewn.)

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent

• 1 month later...

Voted after the contest was over... because that's when I played it. I don't imagine that'll cause freak anyone out and I enjoyed the mission so, for posterity and such.

Still have others to play (and vote on) as well.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

• 1 month later...

This might be a little late, but I noticed when you start the level, and are facing the double-doors to enter the mansion, the window to the right has a candle in it, and you can reach through the window and extinguish the candle.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• 5 months later...

OK. A little late, this might be gravedigging but I like to submit reviews of what I'm playing (not had time to play TDM for months, so...). Completed it in 34 minutes, no reloads, expert, KO-ing NPCs.

Good points:

- Visual theme was consistent throughout. Nice cosy Christmas-y mission. The level was rather linear, with no alternate routes, but hey, it's just a single house.

- Finished the mission 60 loot short of full completion. On secrets, I found:

The hidden compartment in the bathroom and the painting above the fireplace in the sitting room

Don't know if there's anything else, but I didn't really conduct an exhaustive search. Nice surprises, although I had a lot of trouble noticing what the former one did after I triggered it.

Bad points:

- The mission is easy to complete on expert if you're not trying to ghost, as all of the NPCs come up to you one by one.

Overall, I think that The Parcel isn't going anywhere new for gameplay or design, but is a very nice and solid short mission.

Edited by Stormbringer951
Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

• 1 year later...

I have updated the custom material file that comes with this map and added the Enhanced and Simple Ambient stages. Now the front stoop won't turn black when you set the Ambient to "Simple" or "Enhanced" modes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/parcel.pk4

http://dl.dropbox.co...6561/parcel.pk4

This'll probably be my last fix for awhile until I get better at mapping.

I was gonna tinker with the wood alignment on the stairs but I couldn't achieve the look I wanted without breaking the steps into two brushes each...

I've attached the material file to this post too (for the paranoid). Just extract the parcel.pk4 file and copy this text file (rename to snowed.mtr) into the "materials" folder and re-pack.

Enjoy :)

snowed.mtr.txt

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 10 months later...

I'm a bit tired of small missions but I enjoyed it. There is something really nice about the visuals and eventhough it wasn't long enough to really get me engaged and the story certaintly wasn't doing that, I did think it was fun and I can't think of anything particularly bad to say.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 11 months later...

Just finished this on difficult.

+Very nice secrets, I especially liked the one

above the fireplace. I found accidentally by frobbing the painting.

+Considering the built time, it's impressive.

-Too straightforward.

-Too much carpets make things very easy.

-What kind of thief enters by the front door?!

Overall, a fun tiny FM.

Edited by Jon Irenicus

I just started playing this again after a little hiatus cause I was busy going through some other games but started up again now that 2.0 came out and decided to replay some of the older missions that I had beaten before with getting full loot in mind.I was wondering were you able to get full loot. By the time I finished the mission I had 1129 out of 1189.Do any of you guys know where I can find the last piece of loot.I went looking all over the mansion a second time and couldn't find anything else and I did find the two secrets.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, did you find all the secrets? There are also two rings in the mission, one inside and one outside (I'll give you more info where if you need it). As it was my first mission, I made the loot a little too hard to find apparently, but live and learn.

Take care,

Xonze

Edited by Xonze

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I found the key is more visible when the guy is facing you. For instance, when he's just left the room you're in and shuts the door behind him. More of the key sticks out and the red contrasts with his green clothing. Only reason I knew it was there when I played.

I like this mission. It's one I play occasionally if I'm in the mood for a quick mansion heist.

Please come back Xonze! TDM would be richer with a few more Xonze-style missions.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle