The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Living Expenses by Sonosuke (2010/01/02)

Sonosuke

I didn't notice it in this mission but yesterday I found two rooms where the sounds weren't playing (one music, the other was dripping water) Now they've been working for months and I've been in those rooms dozens of times testing. So maybe a Dark Mod thing.

For some reason, with the current SVN build, I can't save in this mission. Neither quick save or normal save work right. It generates a save file, then hangs forever, not resuming the game. Guess I'll be playing ironman style. :ph34r:

EDIT: Weird, I can restore the savefiles it creates without a problem, but every time I try to save it hangs. It's like some weird Oddity-inspired punishment for saving, you have to wait a minute to load up again before you can continue. Guess I'll look at what the logfile says later.

After playing for a while I could eventually save again without being booted out. Weird.

Great mission! I really liked sneaking around the outside looking for a way in, then inside was very interesting as well.

Issues:

I got stuck in these two places:

1. The tree next to the well

2. In the room you take the elevator up to, in the farthest alcove with the sacks, it's possible to fall between the sacks and get stuck.

Also, the servant in the small kitchen started going in circles in front of the door, making me waste one of my water arrows on the torch in there so I could get back out. He eventually became un-stuck, I think when the other guard bumped him, or maybe I opened the door for him, I forget.

Hilarious moments:

I saw the guard sitting down in the dining room just past the barracks go through a door a few times, saw that it was dark and that's all I could tell. I opened the door trying to follow him wherever he was going, and we both got a scare when I surrpised him on the toilet. :) He didn't chase after me so he must've thought the door just blew open.

Also, after taking a diamond, I thought I'd have a little fun by putting an armed flash mine in its place, then closing everything up. The image of him opening the vault, looking on with pride as the display slowly opens, and then- bam!, flashmine, is priceless. :ph34r:

Secret spoilers:

Found the diamonds under the small stairs, then the statue in that room accessed from underneath the music room stairs (I think that's what the readable in the servant's bedroom was talking about?). Found how to open the roof, but couldn't figure out how to get up there or what to do with that. Must have missed some secrets because my loot count was 1848/2347 and I thought I hit every room.

I got stuck in these two places:

1. The tree next to the well

2. In the room you take the elevator up to, in the farthest alcove with the sacks, it's possible to fall between the sacks and get stuck.

Ah, I too thought I was stuck there. A few times behind those sacks, even (and once even up that tree by the well!)...

But you know what worked? The simple mantle (the new mechanics available here in TDM)! Not the jump mantle. Just the simple mantle.

There is so much coolness with TDM!

• Like 1

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Ah, I too thought I was stuck there. A few times behind those sacks, even (and once even up that tree by the well!)...

But you know what worked? The simple mantle (the new mechanics available here in TDM)! Not the jump mantle. Just the simple mantle.

There is so much coolness with TDM!

Yes, the mantle key (not jump mantle) can sometimes work to get you out of places you're otherwise stuck. Those places should still be fixed with nonsolid items and playerclip brushes though, because you shouldn't get stuck in the first place. :) I normally use only jump-mantle. So this is the only time I end up using the mantle key, as a last resort before using noclip to get unstuck. Sometimes even the mantle key doesn't work if you are stuck and there's nothing you could mantle from that position.

I think that soundloop is only caused when that elevator isn't actually moving. I once couldn't use it, because the AI blocked it and I also had that soundloop then. As soon as I got the AI away from there, the loop was gone. So maybe some sort of termination condition should be added to the sound of elevators. Like, when it's not moving, although it actually should, stop moving and stop playing the sound. Additionally another sound could be played then to signalize that the elevator has stopped.

Two things:

- the elevator sound system is totally broken. The moving platform sound is looping infinite times when you start to play with the buttons...

yeah, to bad i could not find a 100% way to get it working

- the lamp texture is bright even if the lamp itself is off. It destroys atmosphere :(

But I think its the engine flaw :(.

after the map was build to 95%, I did think of making two lamps, one with light texture and one without. Making a mover_slider out of both and set the move time to 0,1 so they change place. but I did not have the time to check it out.

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

There is a proper method of switching the skins (as in Chalice) but few people to do all the work and I myself am overloaded. I've got some in my own FM want fixing. :rolleyes:

um... sorry I did not get that. Did it sound like I expect something from you? I know that you have more than enough work.

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

No, I didn't want you to waste time trying to work out a method of doing it when there is a method already. So I was kind of apologizing that I'm not offering to do it or even explain but also saying if you really need it I can explain it or even do it but secretly I was hoping you'd say, no, that's OK. ;)

:laugh: I may ask you as soon as i need it but for now there are many other things to do.

edit: *ask you how to do it or where the tot. is

Edited by Sonosuke

Yes, that's already done with the light_colorme_model entity. It works already where skins have been created.The time-consuming thing is creating the textures and skin defs, especially with no tgas for the rest of the lanterns and lamps. This also applies to extinguishables like gas or oil lamps with shades etc. not just electric.

Yes, that's already done with the light_colorme_model entity. It works already where skins have been created.The time-consuming thing is creating the textures and skin defs, especially with no tgas for the rest of the lanterns and lamps. This also applies to extinguishables like gas or oil lamps with shades etc. not just electric.

I am on this (for about two years sorry).

Anyway, it is definitely in my TODO-this-week list, I already made the room in candles to house the electic lights. Currently I got, however, side-tracked with the campfire entities (knew I shouldn't have started with them) and then social life.

Tonight I plan to finally check in the switchable electric lights. Again, sorry for the delay.

(the won't really be usable in new FMs until v1.1 is out, or only when the FM author bundles the relevant entities with his map, tho. but this is a minor issue)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Do you really need new textures? I thought the only thing to do was to switch rendering of the material from fullbright to normal rendering. (I don't know the correct terms right now)

It depends. In some cases thats enough, in other cases you need a new texture.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Great mission . Have a problem though . Mission crashes when I try to open some doors. For example to door on lower floor next to kitchen that the servant (?) enters and exits on the way to the kitchen plus the room on the floor above at the end of the hall to the right of the stairs. Anyone else have these problems or is it just my setup?If it helps , I have an ATI Radeon HD 4350 display. Any ideas anyone , can I make any adjustments to avoid the crashes ? Thanks !

Great mission . Have a problem though . Mission crashes when I try to open some doors. For example to door on lower floor next to kitchen that the servant (?) enters and exits on the way to the kitchen plus the room on the floor above at the end of the hall to the right of the stairs. Anyone else have these problems or is it just my setup?If it helps , I have an ATI Radeon HD 4350 display. Any ideas anyone , can I make any adjustments to avoid the crashes ? Thanks !

Should have added . Screen freezes and I have to use control - alt - delete to shut program down. Am on Windows 7 but will try it on laptop ( withWindows xp ) when I have time. Any ideas on how to solve this gratefully accepted though ! Seems to me that the playability of some of these new missions depends a lot on your graphics card / settings of this or am I jumping to the wrong conclusion ?.

Edited by raymeld

Should have added . Screen freezes and I have to use control - alt - delete to shut program down. Am on Windows 7 but will try it on laptop ( withWindows xp ) when I have time. Any ideas on how to solve this gratefully accepted though ! Seems to me that the playability of some of these new missions depends a lot on your graphics card / settings of this or am I jumping to the wrong conclusion ?.

Hey raymeld,

The issue is most likely linked to a specific material that is used on some pillar models, as far as I know it has been corrected for the next version but in the mean time some people have had success updating their graphics card drivers.

Give that a spin if you arnt already using the latest :)

Hey raymeld,

The issue is most likely linked to a specific material that is used on some pillar models, as far as I know it has been corrected for the next version but in the mean time some people have had success updating their graphics card drivers.

Give that a spin if you arnt already using the latest :)

Thanks for your help . Yes , I had already updated the graphics drivers , so will wait for the corrected version. An enjoyable mission from what I've seen/ played already and well worth giving another try.

Wow, thank you! Its really awesome! Now this is my favorite fm out of all of them. The atmosphere, architecture, cool tiny details everywhere... And, well, i have to admit, this was the second time in tdm, when i got scared (this time without a reason :laugh: ). When i saw that the main secret room was empty i immediately panicked - i thought that it will be some kinda trap xD Despite the fact that everything was not as I expected, the finale was magnificent. And yeah. The basement - with all these generators it reminded me of Scratches. You should definitely put some creepy music in there :rolleyes: Thanks again, it was GREAT.

Wow, thank you! Its really awesome! Now this is my favorite fm out of all of them. The atmosphere, architecture, cool tiny details everywhere... And, well, i have to admit, this was the second time in tdm, when i got scared (this time without a reason :laugh: ). When i saw that the main secret room was empty i immediately panicked - i thought that it will be some kinda trap xD Despite the fact that everything was not as I expected, the finale was magnificent. And yeah. The basement - with all these generators it reminded me of Scratches. You should definitely put some creepy music in there :rolleyes: Thanks again, it was GREAT.

Haha, that sounds like you had fun. Thanks for you feedback, the basement was planned to be the only way out, leading to the sewers and to a small piece of the city, where you have to find your house and there should be creepy music too. To bad outside areas are still to hard for me now, so i would have need like one month more to build that.

btw, what is Scratches? Sounds like a horror-or splattermovie.

The city area, the house - sounds good, but not for this fm imho. I think here would be enough to just climb over the wall to outside to complete the mission. The mansion itself is already very detailed, and having there the city area is too much... ah nevermind :ph34r:

btw, what is Scratches? Sounds like a horror-or splattermovie.

The Scratches is horror quest. With the lack of graphics it posesses a great atmosphere and scares the crap out of people.

Oh and another thing with the objective to return to where you started - i've jumped around that tree, climbed on it for about half of a minute and somehow randomly i found the spot :/

Edited by toshak_fox

This mission is really, really, *really* good! :)

Congratulations and thanks!

I do have a comment:

I've played in the expert difficilty, I have managed to fnish it without any quickload! Well, almost. I had to log in the forum to konw where the diamond was... This was a little frustrating, since I did everything (including search the whole mansion again) BUT close the door behind me. A little clue about that in his diary would be a subtle change and a huge improvement.