The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Sons of Baltona 1 by Carnage (2010/01/09)

Carnage

58 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling (eg, dead nobleman, empty safe open, items strewn.)

Well here's the first FM I created. There were a few setbacks but all in all it was a joy to work with Dark Radiant. If anyone is still doubting, please don't, it's quite easy when you get used to it.

About: A mansion mission. This is the first part of my campaign. Find out what happened to a fellow member of the guild and learn more about Lord Nelson, the owner of the mansion.

Build time: I don't know exactly. I played around a lot to figure everything out. Best guess is about a month effectively, before beta testing.

Thanks: Thanks to the TDM team for this awesome mod. Special thanks to everyone who assisted me on the forums.

Super special Thanks: My beta-testers 7upMan and lostbuthappy.

Known issues: Lamps look lit when switched off. Ambient music of two zones start playing at the same time after quickloading. Tried a work around so it's very likely you won't notice/have it.

Challenge: Play without switching off lights, otherwise it might be a bit easy.

Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m4ywobjodm0

I hope you all enjoy it and please vote :)

• Like 3

Ah! I just finished a new (hopefully pre-final) beta version, and I have an evening free. Here I go... ^_^

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Found a major issue with anytime you are on the outside areas of the second story in this mission - particularly the area around the arrow target. I was jumping around to see if I could get onto the roof and each time I got on top of an object (like the arrow target itself or the decorative shield behind it) TDM would hard lock my machine and I'd have to shut it down.

This seems to happen to my machine any time I get fairly high up in the outside areas.

Edited by SneakyJack

Ah! I just finished a new (hopefully pre-final) beta version, and I have an evening free. Here I go... ^_^

You mean tomorrow we could have another one? Please say YES!  :D

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

You mean tomorrow we could have another one? Please say YES! :D

Expected: Monday.

Best case: tomorrow.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

So far so good. I didn't finish yet, because I don't know how.

I found a secret hiding place in the office behind the picture, but there was no key there. Since there is no word about where the secret hidingplace is located, I am assuming the line about the "new lieutenant" is a hint, which would mean that the key is supposed to be right behind that picture. Is this a bug or did I just look in the wrong place?

Doom 3 crashed on me too when I tried climbing the roof. But I could easily recover through the taskmanager.

So far so good. I didn't finish yet, because I don't know how.

I found a secret hiding place in the office behind the picture, but there was no key there. Since there is no word about where the secret hidingplace is located, I am assuming the line about the "new lieutenant" is a hint, which would mean that the key is supposed to be right behind that picture. Is this a bug or did I just look in the wrong place?

Doom 3 crashed on me too when I tried climbing the roof. But I could easily recover through the taskmanager.

Go to Lord Nelson's room in the upper floor, grab his key. This will lead you to your next Ziel.

I already was in his studyroom and grabbed the book there, which hinted that there's a secret hidingplace somewhere.

Well, on the opposite side of the room the picture should move to the right and reveal two keys. If it didn't, we'd have a bug that be beta-testers never encountered.

Found a major issue with anytime you are on the outside areas of the second story in this mission - particularly the area around the arrow target. I was jumping around to see if I could get onto the roof and each time I got on top of an object (like the arrow target itself or the decorative shield behind it) TDM would hard lock my machine and I'd have to shut it down.

This seems to happen to my machine any time I get fairly high up in the outside areas.

I'll try that myself as well. Wouldn't know what could be causing that. I blocked it so the player couldn't get on the roof, because there's not much there and it would be very difficult to keep perfomance up there. It so difficult to up the performance in large outside areas....

I've played around a bit, its quite easy to reproduce - the best place is where it has been said, trying to mantle the roof from the archery target (well the decorative shield). It seems that this crash can take place anywhere in the map, I got it while mantleing a table in the guards dormitory.

Another place that you can reproduce it and also get a good look around is climbing the tree on the right hand side of the first green area of the map, from there try to mantle onto the wall in the right corner, sometimes it will hardlock there while the game and music continue, if you mantle any of the stuff up there there is a chance of it happening.

Congrats on the relese of your first mission Carnage smile.gif

I had a go at it and think is a nice one overall cool.gif but there´s some things that could use a bit of "ruffing up" like the outside and

the sewer/sercet entrance (the rounding of that sprialstaircase is missing some endcaps)

, I think it´s just too stright and repetive mellow.gif but that´s just me rolleyes.gif

as I sad a nice one overall wink.gif

I've played around a bit, its quite easy to reproduce - the best place is where it has been said, trying to mantle the roof from the archery target (well the decorative shield). It seems that this crash can take place anywhere in the map, I got it while mantleing a table in the guards dormitory.

Another place that you can reproduce it and also get a good look around is climbing the tree on the right hand side of the first green area of the map, from there try to mantle onto the wall in the right corner, sometimes it will hardlock there while the game and music continue, if you mantle any of the stuff up there there is a chance of it happening.

What could be causing this? Could it be visportals? I would like to avoid this kind of thing in the future. I certainly want to learn from previous bads ;)

Congrats on the relese of your first mission Carnage smile.gif

I had a go at it and think is a nice one overall cool.gif but there´s some things that could use a bit of "ruffing up" like the outside and

the sewer/sercet entrance (the rounding of that sprialstaircase is missing some endcaps)

, I think it´s just too stright and repetive mellow.gif but that´s just me rolleyes.gif

as I sad a nice one overall wink.gif

I'm still learning as I go, so any hints and tips (that's for everyone reading this) would really be helpful. Glad you liked it :)

It was a nice mission. I really liked the readables, well they did not tell much about anything else but what is happening in the mansion but i think thats ok too. I was short on 100 loot. Well the most things I dont like are already mentioned, only that the

whole diningtable is lootable

well.... its not quite my thing. :) The playing time was quite nice and i loved the mushrooms ^^ As you have seen on my map, I am quite picky with the textures and there are many not made fit. The most are not really bad but the lock texture on the cell door is really bad halfcut. One of the standing lamps was with the upper part inside of the wood of the window.

Overall the map was good playable and had a nice feeling. Congratz on the first map!

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

You could open up the training mission (the ground in the archer range is made up from patchs) or a mission like trapped or even my mission too late in DR to see what others hav don wink.gif for my mission I spend the good part of a week just "ruffing" it up with patchs, derbies and small twiks her and there (and I think it´s too nice still huh.gif )

Edited by Nielsen74

I couldnt get into the mansion, ko-d everyone except one torch guard but he didnt have a key either, tried jumping from the crates to balcony, lockpicking any of the doors wont work, i think i am overlooking something real simple..could someone give a clue?

Try searching in the 2nd garden, the one with the big stone

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Really nice mission, thanks for sharing Carnage! ;)

I liked the mansion. A simple map, but with strong thief's taste B)

If it's your first mission, you get a double congratulation from me, bravo and go on mapping more! :D

Well, on the opposite side of the room the picture should move to the right and reveal two keys. If it didn't, we'd have a bug that be beta-testers never encountered.

The picture with an old guy? It doesn't highlight and I can not move it.

EDIT: Oh, I got it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Stanley