The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Return to the City by Melan (2010/01/10)

Melan

69 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect. Outstanding
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Whoa. Can't wait to get back home from work and see how the magic has been done. :huh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Bikerdude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant wait to try this.

You are a god! :D

Melan should enter this map into this year's Christmas Contest and win again... :laugh:

(I'm jumping to conclusions here... So sue me :P )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Whoa. Can't wait to get back home from work and see how the magic has been done.

Impossible! You´re the man, Bikerdude! So, is the expanding decided, Melan?

Bikerdude! Cant wait to try this, You are a god!

Well I just used my limited mapping knowledge and just applied it with a little luck and common sense, but maybe at some point due to sleep deprivation some magic may have been involved :-) And yes it looks like the mission be expanding, I found lots of hidden places where I could put a secret tunnel or a little room. Im even thinking about adding a sewer system for Melan to give the players more places to explore. I even found some old mapping work(w whole street with 3 buildings, a bridge and some more internal rooms to explore) embeded in the map that I assume Melan never got around to including - its very good it will be like a new mission after we have included all this new map work..

That´s just great news!!! I´ve been always a supporter for re-releasing the first contest-missions (or maybe contest-missions at all due to the short time they were built in?) and well, Limited Editions and Director´s Cut´s are selling good and are loved, aren´t they? (This will very likely cause some negative responses... ;) )

I think Melan said about those unused parts that they were just training or sth like that...

but maybe at some point due to sleep deprivation some magic may have been involved :)

That´s very likely!!

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

well how would lot like some screenshot then....

I'm doing the upgrade & expansion with Melan consulting and artistic lead.

I actually have two Dr session running atm, Melans mission and My vert mission, I can work on either when dmapping in doom.

:laugh:

post-496-128207322129_thumb.jpg

post-496-128207322319_thumb.jpg

post-496-128207322466_thumb.jpg

post-496-128207322605_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

Fantastic work! Wow. This looks gorgeous. I can't wait to play it...and I can't wait for the community to get a chance to play this mission now that it has been optimized. Well done.

I just loved playing this mission that I thought it a shame to leave it as was, so I had a go at VP'ing it and surprised myself. So with new found glee I set about expanding the mission with some of Melans old unreleased work as a base to start from. And now we have a new area to explore. But I plan to add some nooks and crannies before I'm done.

Just beautifulBtw: How long does it take to dmap RTTC atm?

1min 12sec with a cfg file that has dmap/map - I havent loaded it as a mission yet.

Edited by Bikerdude

I think we should specifically ask for beta testers with weak PCs to see how they cope with the mission after revision, so Baal and Jdude may be a lot of help. That's the main point of the revision, sort of. BTW, the work Bikerdude has done is very good, he even got my beginner area (the earliest build I was working on before the contest was announced) into a good shape. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I didn't have any part in the development of the training map but your free to use Saintlucia assets (IE: brushwork ect). I'd be happy to help with testing as well but I'm far to swamped to make anything map specific other than maybe some loot out of brushes or something specific and mini like that, which I could use later in other maps. I have 3 TDM related project on the go atm.

I remember a time when my PC was top of the line :(

I think we should specifically ask for beta testers with weak PCs to see how they cope with the mission after revision, so Baal and Jdude may be a lot of help. That's the main point of the revision, sort of.

BTW, the work Bikerdude has done is very good, he even got my beginner area (the earliest build I was working on before the contest was announced) into a good shape.

Yes of course, I do the same with my maps before beta testing to iron out the performance. And on the Subject of updates, I'll pm you shortly with another update.

And thanks for that Melan, praise is always a good motivator - as you know Dr can really get you bogged down sometimes..

:laugh:

Edited by Bikerdude

most players should get more than 10, anyway on the subject of updates, Melan has been inspired by all the work I have done on it and is adding as much again as I did to the map, so it should be a nice fat mission with loads of places for the player to explore and loot when Melan and myself have finished with it.

^_^

Edited by Bikerdude