The Dark Mod Forums

Torch Relight

lowenz

Playing "Sons of Baltona 1" I can see guards torch relight possibility in action.....great feature imho!

But how it works?

The guard can relight the torch by self or must encounter another guard whit the torch lighted?

I think the most realistic implementation is the second one!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Why is the second one more realistic? They could have matches with them, can't they?

Matches in a steam-punk universe ? Well yes, but they are borderline imho :P

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I carry my convenient tinderbox wherever I go :)

That said - I do think it needs some sort of balancing - like it takes 2 minutes before a guard re-lights. I have had a few times where I take out a torch and a second later an AI pops through the door and relights it while being called various unflattering names by yours truely. But I do think that it helps make areas more dynamic and interesing.

Another completely random thing : The lantern works underwater, not a real problem but just reporting if it isnt intended.

Another completely random thing : The lantern works underwater, not a real problem but just reporting if it isnt intended.

Yes, that's intended. The hood can block out light AND water. And miraculously, the amount of air in the lantern is just enough to last until the player runs out of air. :P

You, Springheel, would have been the last one I'd expect to defend this entirely illogical lantern works under water nonsense! :laugh:

• If the hood is on the light don't shine!
  • Miraculous air... indeed!
  • Oh, come on!
  • Already!

Just having fun, because you seem such a tickler for reasons" & "logic" in other areas. So :P to you too.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Having said that... (Curb Your Enthusiasm, anyone?)

I, too, like the relighting of torches thing. But I, too, would rather have it "defeatable" -- only another torch can relight a torch. So if you douse all the hand held torches before they start relighting them... them guards are in the dark. Challenge + asset (water arrows) depletion = choice. It's no good to have no indication what torches can and will be re-lit.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I, too, like the relighting of torches thing. But I, too, would rather have it "defeatable" -- only another torch can relight a torch. So if you douse all the hand held torches before they start relighting them... them guards are in the dark. Challenge + asset (water arrows) depletion = choice. It's no good to have no indication what torches can and will be re-lit.

Exactly!

if a mapper wanted to get around it they most likely could remake the fire

Not sure I dig what you are saying. Can you help me to understand, please?

BTW, did I say "tickler"?

<_<

snot right

Edited by aidakeeley

You, Springheel, would have been the last one I'd expect to defend this entirely illogical lantern works under water nonsense! :laugh:

* If the hood is on the light don't shine!

Well, yes. You just have to assume there is a latch that allows the lantern to be closed against water. That's not terribly far-fetched...in real life the flame would go out rather quickly without fresh oxygen, so the suspension of disbelief is that it lasts a bit longer than is reasonable. I can deal with that for the gameplay benefit of being able to see underwater. :)

As far as guards relighting torches, doesn't the mapper designate which guards can relight torches? I don't recall how that works, but I know we have barks for guards who can't relight them. I too think it's a little harsh to have all AI be able to relight torches instantly.

I am pretty sure it is for the mapper to decide there is a variable that you can give to guards making them unable to turn on the torches.

I think you can adjust which AI can relight torches and not, by removing the def 'AI_USE' for torches. That sounds logical anyway. Of course you can always remove the ShouldBeOn arg on various torches and leave them only on the torches you want to stay on. Very simple of course but it's a possibility. Giving the AI the ability to light torches on the higher difficulties only is also possible. I didn't use this but Fidcal explained me how and that it is possible. Glad people liked the relighting of torches in my FM by the way :D.