The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Business as usual by b1k3rdude (14/01/2010) Christmas FM Contest Entry

Bikerdude

Evenin, Taffers!

loadingscreent.jpg

My FM for the Grand Christmas FM Contest, Business as Usual... updated 16-01-10 (fixed all of the minor errors people were having)

"Got a new place in the old quarter, but as the saying goes 'the more things change the more they stay the same..."

"...Tiss the holiday season and the first snows are upon us, bah bloody humbug. As usual there is a local thief who needs taking down a peg or two and some noble boasting about his wealth down the local tavern. Thankfully this part of town is free from the likes of the Builders, but my 'old friends' the Guardians are as usual keeping an eye on things..."

Download links:

filefront

Build Time:

5 weeks, starting December 13th.

Huge respect to the Dark Mod team for such a great mod and for all the hard work they put into it and continue to put into it. Special thanks to Fidcal, Serpentine and others for their help on the forums and to my beta testers: Serpentine, 7upMan, StiFuNelson, FFox, Acolyte, Chiron and others who did an awesome job.

Known issues:-

# This mission will have less than optimal fps at a few points on the map.

# Enabling bloom on low end PCs will drop off 5-10fps

# On low end PCs I recommend, V-sync is off, AA is off, Aniso is 4x or lower.

# Additionally, on low end PCs you may have to disable player shadow - bring up the cmd line in tdm (ctrl-alt-`) and then type the following line ' g_showPlayerShadow 0 '

Edited by Bikerdude

A new FM! Congrats! :laugh: I think I will just set my current tasks aside for a bit, grab a cup of oolong and get taffing. :ph34r:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Congrats! Perfect time too^^

updated torrent:

http://isohunt.com/t...+14?tab=summary

Torrent with bikerdude's update: Here

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Ive updated the download links, I suggest everyone re-download... I really ******** hate DR sometimes..

Well adding the time when you have updated and/or something like "businessv2.pk4" would have been nice... Is the new one bigger? i have one now with 4.61 mb and one with 4.60 mb.

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Someone knows where is the hotel chest? I searched every room and didn`t find.

In the room with the hotel master key, try frobbing the chest of drawers at the end of the bed. Crouch directly in front of it to do so.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Fantastic waste of 1.5 of my hours BD! A bit enclosed feeling, with little city-ish architecture to spare, but well worth it due to the great layout and gameplay style. I loved the whole idea of getting out and "taffing around" the neighborhood.

Not too sure why you hate DR so much though :P... it's paradise considering dromed's limitations.

Hahaha! This is great fun. Lots of idiosyncracies and quirkiness. Tight narrow alleys and rooms, more doors than a door shop, more nooks than a nook sale, and more crannies than a crannie convention. How can I get lost in a 5-week build FM? Oh well, got turned around a few times and almost robbed myself. :) Lots of interest packed into small spaces and humorous little touches abound. Have to break off but more tomorrow... :)

What's that about an update? Didn't see that until I've been playing 45 minutes. Can't restart now. Not seen any problems other than a book with too many pages but it didn't crash anything.

Someone knows where is the hotel chest? I searched every room and didn`t find.

Sorry, it was deleiberate on my part - the chest along with the key are supposed to be hard to find after all...-_-

A bit enclosed feeling, with little city-ish architecture to spare, but well worth it due to the great layout and gameplay style. I loved the whole idea of getting out and "taffing around" the neighborhood.

Not too sure why you hate DR so much though... it's paradise considering dromed's limitations.

Hehe, yeah I had a vague idea when I started, but then it sorta grew over time. I will defiantly be expaning it with more narrow allies, nook's and crannies (as Fids likes them so much :laugh:), I loved Melan's city, but I want to do the same thing without the fps hit. I dont really hate DR, just some of the bloody bugs...

Also can people post their specs and fps.. so I/we can compare my small and busy with Melan's big and awesome etc. So did anyone get scared by the cat... or.... their own reflection.....:ph34r:

What's that about an update? Didn't see that until I've been playing 45 minutes. Can't restart now. Not seen any problems other than a book with too many pages but it didn't crash anything.

Tiss ok, DR for some damn reason nuked 2 path nodes and a partical effect, and while I was there I fixed a tiny spot of z-fighting in an attic etc. I dont know if its me or DR, it really aggravates me when entities go missing for no apparent reason.

Well adding the time when you have updated and/or something like "businessv2.pk4" would have been nice... Is the new one bigger? i have one now with 4.61 mb and one with 4.60 mb.

Its not a version change, DR for some damn reason removed a few itmes that should have been present (which it has done before btw). The next version of Business, will be bigger, it will be like melans I imaging, just more closed in aka Rocksbourg. The date n the latest file is '‎14 ‎January ‎2010, ‏‎20:42:12' and its 4.6+ mb

Edited by Bikerdude

There is a player shadow! Very interesting. I am not done yet; couldn't get into every place and way way way too low on loot. Tomorrow, perhaps. Helluva impressive effort for five weeks.

WRT hardware, if we are talking in analogies, I suppose someone could build Calendra's Cistern without a huge hardware hit (except a long load time), but not Calendra's Legacy; lots of detail work and eye candy as long as areas stay separated through some method. If that makes sense. My FPS was awesome in this map, but then I had a decent one in my own. The only thing that bothers me is some green artifacts showing up on brush faces and (likely) visportals); this is not a mission-specific bug though since I also get it elsewhere.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

There is a player shadow! Very interesting. I am not done yet; couldn't get into every place and way way way too low on loot. Tomorrow, perhaps. Helluva impressive effort for five weeks. This is not a mission-specific bug though since I also get it elsewhere.

yeah it dawned on me last week, not only have the team done player shadow, but have done player reflection also - all that's missing is body awareness(basic legs and torso would do) just which would be killer. Well thanks dude, when I saw yours I was blown away by the scale, but then you've done a few missions before ;)

So did anyone get scared by the cat... or.... their own reflection.....ph34r.gif

I all most BJ my own reflection blink.gif thinking there was a guy comming at me unsure.gif and then playede around with dif. stuff infront of the mirror (candles, bowls e.c.t) Nice effect wink.gif

Ugh. The player shadow. TDM doesn't have any animations for the player, they're all stolen from AI, that's why they don't fit.

It just got a bit annoying watching my player move his legs while his upper body stayed totally still. He should be in a Drum Corps :laugh:.

Also, I use an autoexec to start up TDM. Putting your own autoexec in the pk4 overrode mine. You can set an cvar using a tiny map script, instead.

void main(){
sys.setcvar( "g_showPlayerShadow", 1 );
}

I don't think the player model has a shadowmesh, either. So turning on that g_showPlayerShadow means that the graphics card has to work hard to calculate shadows for a hefty 2000+ poly model.:(

Yeah.... there's a reason it's not supported. ;)

{edit: I'll post more later, it's not all bad. In fact, this is pretty damn awesome.}

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Also, I use an autoexec to start up TDM. Putting your own autoexec in the pk4 overrode mine. You can set an cvar using a tiny map script, instead. I'll post more later, it's not all bad. In fact, this is pretty damn awesome.

Regarding player shadow, I didnt notice an fps drop on my little c2d@2.6ghz & nVidia8400m laptop, so maybe on much lower spec PC's its an issue - I'll update the 1st post. Regarding the autoexec.cfg, so yiour saying all i have to is replace the 'g_showPlayerShadow' with your 2 lines above..? Glad you liked though :laugh:

I like the player shadow but mappers shouldn't force it on players - it's on option that anyone can choose. Including an auto exec to change player options opens a whole can of worms.

Campaigns are not supported yet. It is possible to link one map to another after completing all objectives but there is no official mission complete, stats, next briefing, difficulty level selection, shop, etc. Some parts of that can be emulated. The simplest way would just make the title loader of the next level say...

"You have successfully defeated Lord Baldymort and retrieved the Talisman of TootyCarmen's Tomb. Now you must use it to gain entry to the tomb"

PART 2:

THE TOMB OF TOOTYCARMEN

etc etc.