The Dark Mod Forums

Elder Scrolls Iv

oDDity

Hey cool! Google.com has a language translator (http://www.google.com/language_tools). I just translated that German message I got before (see above) and it did a decent job. I somewhat understand it now! Hehe :)

Before:

"Für dieses Bild müssen Sie bei GameStar.de Premium eingeloggt sein. Alle Bilder stehen einen Tag lang öffentlich zur Verfügung, danach sind Sie auschließlich den Abonnenten unseres Online-Abonnements vorbehalten. Zum Schließen bitte in das Bild klicken!"

After:

"For this picture you must be logged in with GameStar.de Premium. All pictures are available one day long publicly, afterwards you are auschliesslich the subscribers of our on-line subscription reserved. For reasoning please into the picture click!"

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shots of Elderscrolls IV looks really nice, seem like they finally take care of the caracter models. I don't agree that Morrowind failed it though. I really found it to be immersing and took me over. Probably because the world was completely open for me to explore as I wished and it actually had something worth to explore. (different areas of the island had very different villages and design) I dunno, must be cause of Doom1 that I enjoy enemies that are dumb as bricks so I can just beat them until they go down. ;)

Morrowind's was fatally flawed in so many areas. AI, the economy, the combat system, quest breaking possiblities out of your control, some unbalanced spells.

But what it did right was done so well one can forgive it. The vastness, the alchemy and the enchanting. The size and scope. I remember walking out onto the grassy plains to at the north for the 1st time. It was pure wow.

If they really have sorted out the AI and the stealth this will be the best.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

• 8 months later...

Wonderful time to update this thread. Oblivion is coming out this December :D

I just watched a 20 minute gameplay video and let me say that it was one of the most fucking awesome things people. The sneaking aspect looks pretty good too. The best thing is that the dungeons and all have proper traps etc. Man, the AI is like OMFG!!! The AI does random shit like read books etc. There was this bit in the vid where this woman was reading and her dog kept pissing her off so she paralyzed it for a sec. Then she went to lie down and the dog kept barking, so she got up and shot a fireball at it. I was like OMFG what a crazy woman! Then she looked at the player and said "I'm not feeling myself today, maybe you should go" well goddamn right she was crazy man!

Also, now this game will eat HL2 because of 2 reasons: Realtime Lipsync and Havok Physics. Also, every word is dialogued. As in, its said, not written (there are subtitles mind). This game is DEFINATELY on my christmas list...

BTW, get the vid at the oblivion website, its 128mb and its 20 minutes long.

Yeah I saw that. Equally as impressed. I have a feeling that it may be better on the XBOX 360 as control during melee is better on a gamecontroller.

Jeez that lady was a bitch. I would cut her down and take her dog on adventures with me.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I'm waiting for OBlivion - it will pobably the best game so far, along with HOMM. They are improving the combat, AI, engine, map... The bad thing - they removed spears. Now I can't even make my Corvus guy... Probably go for an orc barbarian.

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

Yes, it is in their interests after all to show the best parts of the game and make it look fantastic.

That vid is nothing more than a commercial advertisment, and can't be trusted.

THey show virtually nothing of bread and butter gameplay, just show a few leet things and how they have Patrick Stewart doing a voice.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

lol. Redguard was an excellent game. Morrowind was coming out and had a huge amount of hype and that too was a fucking excellent game (in fact got goty a few times). I think they know what they're doing ;)

oh, Redguard and Morrowind were done by the same company.

Vadrosaul: yeah, what a bitch eh. I was like O.o

But yeah, the main thing is that the ai is gonna kickass any game thats coming out any time soon. So you doubters can doubt all you want and maybe you may be correct, but i believe Bethesda will make this game great.

Plus they have a funny tradition of putting a paper game map into the box. So its not a rip to buy the game. And considering Morrowind went for $50 (in AU anyways), they are a very good company. It seems they try to make "good" games, not games that sell.

Unfortunately you can't even trust game mags. After all this is a high profile game and this means they will get good ratings. They would have to be extremly bad to get bad ratings.

I think you can trust PCGamerUK. Black and White 2 is a big game by a big game name (Molyneux) and it got 76%.

If a game sucks, or is just weaker than it should be, they say it. They have made a few blunders in the past but they certainly do not give games more than their due because they are high profile.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Hey if that AI is anythign to go by (my brother told me that story about the lady and the dog already), I am excited.

I mean, even if it does wierd stuff like that, it will be super crazy entertaining! People making their own wierd desicions, even if wierd, the results should be really cool if that story is anything to go by :)

As long as the AI doesn't get stuck all the time or runs against walls and such crap, that's fine. RPGs are not THAT strongly driven by the AI and more by the story anyway, so if that is ok and the atmosphere is good then it already seems to be worth buying. But I sure will download it before I buy.

Gerhard

guess alot of you didnt hear about how random the ai acts. Here is a funny story from when they were first testing it:

There was a guard who was hungry, so he went and killed a goat to get food. Another guard saw this and attacked him, then they fought and eventually the whole town was slayed because of this one idiot. It was really funny.

That was when it was in the beta stage anyway.

Morrowind had so many failings, it was shit. The bad by far outweighed the good. IT was defintely a failure, unless they were deliberately trying to make a crap game, then it could be considered a success.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I was not so impressed with Morrowind. I really liked the game, but I kept loosing track of where I should go and what I should do next. I'm not the kind of player that alway keeps a personal note sheet beside the computer just write down all that important info, so I stopped playing it, even though I thought it looked really awesome.

Gerhard

I'm highly enjoying Morrowind at the moment, I'm like exploring. And the quests are interesting.

Well, I don't know what games you throught good turned out bad. AoE III looked bad with its 3D, and we already knew there are fewer nations, it is the Colonial Time, and GUI was shown somewhere, and low-detail units. These may be just bits, but I think if such bits are made bad, the whole game is bad - that is why I never play games with bad graphics - if people took care of their look, they'll take care of the game, I don't remember myself being wrong. Then - Quake IV - you knew perfectly well it is made by Raven, and on DooM 3 engine, and Quake is pretty much the same as DooM, meaning the probability of it being DooM 3 clone is pretty high. What else? Well, DooM 3 itself - too much time passed, they can't make the game identical to the former versions - DooM 2 was a clone of DooM already, so people harping on DooM 3 in that direction are just being stupid. As for me, IMHO DooM 3 was great, believe me or not, but it's my favorite game in the last years. Then, Serious Sam II? Personaly, it is exactly what it should have been. The same fun, stupid, funny arcade shooter in which the developers showed much more fantasy then in other games when one is a copy of the other. F. E. A. R.? With such piar, I was 100% sure that this game you play and forget. Yeah, it may be fun, but it's unreplayable, and there is nothing good in there except fights.

As for Oblivion and HoMaM. Well, from what I heard Oblivion improved the worst things of Morrowind. Fight system in Morrowind was often boring because it was all chance-to-hit. And also in Morrowind if you have gotten a lot of stuff and have not enough strength to heave it, in Morr you had to travel back to a trading post, in Oblivion you can press a few buttons and be where you need to be. Anyway, there are also horses - you can't fight but you can ride on them.

As for HoMaM V - if before I was somewhat suspicious, after I played the alpha I became fully confident. No questions here, I just go and buy the full game when it comes out.

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

yay, another person who liked doom3 as well :)

yeah, a lot of games coming out are unoriginal and all. But Oblivion is totally different because of the approach the devs have towards making their games. They make them to be fun and enjoyable, as they always have with arena, daggerfall, redguard, and morrowind. Morrowind used a really bad engine though.

but anyways, the point is, oblivion is looking to be extremely good.