The Dark Mod Forums

Elder Scrolls Iv

oDDity

The developers said they took out realitime shadows so that everything could be dynamic and you could intereact with every object inthe world.

Which is BS as you surely know, interaction with everything, I will believe that when I punch a hole thru the wall of a house that is in a seperate world than the exterior world, oh wait that will never happen right.

In otherwords they exchanged what they advertised for something less, which they could actually deliver and then repackaged it as something more than it was. Yay for marketing.

Anyway take a look at this http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/games/index.b...ntry_id=1422030

I liked morrowind don't get me wrong, but why oh why did they once again liscence a terrible engine?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the HD Era? Watching bushes and trees pop up out of thin air as I walk around? At one point I was heading towards what I thought was an empty forest clearing, when big-ass chunks of building started magically appearing.

This part made me laugh :D

Fomr the gamemechanics perspective it sounds pretty good. If you are a graphic whore, you may not like it, according to that description, but what does it matter? In a few years it will run smoot like hell, and as long as the atmosphere is good it will be ok for me. It remains to be seen, but from the description it reminds me a lot of Might & Magic, so I'm still looking forward to it. :)

If they included mechanisms to keep track of what you are supposed to be doing, it will be fine. That was the biggest drawback in Morrowind for me.

Gerhard

In a few years it will run smoot(h) like hell, and as long as the atmosphere is good it will be ok for me.

That is the whole problem it won't. Instead of leavingin features that are to slow now as they should have so that in a few years it would run smooth and look great, they cut them out entirely. The should have at least left a toggle switch in the *.ini file s oyou could enable shadows even if it resulted in 2fps being the average framerate, because as you said in a few years it wouldn't matter.

Bethesda are just boneheaded when it comes to engine and graphics decisions. They should have been able to release something that looked as good as far cry by now at least, to bad it doesn't seem to be possible for them.

Edited by sxotty

That is the whole problem it won't. Instead of leavingin features that are to slow now as they should have so that in a few years it would run smooth and look great, they cut them out entirely. The should have at least left a toggle switch in the *.ini file s oyou could enable shadows even if it resulted in 2fps being the average framerate, because as you said in a few years it wouldn't matter.

Bethesda are just boneheaded when it comes to engine and graphics decisions. They should have been able to release something that looked as good as far cry by now at least, to bad it doesn't seem to be possible for them.

Wouldn't this game have a lot more overhead to deal with than Far Cry? Far Cry has some good AI, but it's still a shooter...I'm sure it doesn't compare in the 'world' systems department. If I've learned from Dark Mod, every extra 'little' thing, that people want in their games is a hit on your system. Yes, they really should have left the shadows within the engine and turned them off by default, but that doesn't change the fact that the game probably has too many other important gameplay elements happening to have handled the shadows.

Gotta agree. Maybe soft shadows are still in there, locked down and secret for the future, but who knows. He said they're "gone." So they went and took a huge graphical plus (albeit one that might only be realistically usable in a couple of years) out of the game - and let's face it, they push the graphics angle HARD; it IS important to them - knowing full well that their games are played for years. So people would be able to enable them when the time is right. Morrowind is still played today. Somehow, even today, Morrowind is still a chuggy unoptimized bloated (pretty and mostly enjoyable) mess.

That guy's preview - specifically the terrible LOD stuff - is troubling.

Wouldn't this game have a lot more overhead to deal with than Far Cry? Far Cry has some good AI, but it's still a shooter...I'm sure it doesn't compare in the 'world' systems department. If I've learned from Dark Mod, every extra 'little' thing, that people want in their games is a hit on your system. Yes, they really should have left the shadows within the engine and turned them off by default, but that doesn't change the fact that the game probably has too many other important gameplay elements happening to have handled the shadows.

Yes of course it has more overhead, but the point is how old is far cry? Far cry ran on single core 1.8GHz processor and a 9800pro fine.

Now we hear that oblivion will not run well on dual core with 1900xtx video card? That seems silly the video card is more than 4x as powerful and CPUs are 2x as powerful easily.

Sure dual core may be hard to program for, but Obliivon is the textbook case of where it should be easy to programm for dual core. With physics, AI, and the rendering system having distinct aspects it seems that they should have been able to at least reach the quality of a years old game.

I really am not trying to slam them, I loved the game morrowind, but it was just so incredibly inefficient. It drew from back to front, with no z-culling it was ridiculous. I just shake my head when I look at their other choices and wonder whether someone's brother works for their engine developer or what could possibly be causing them to choose it. The cry engine is up for liscencing for heavens sake and it is established and efficient, looks decent has hdr and all that crap... Obviously the D3 engine would not meet their needs and HL2 would not either, but they had more choices. Project offset engine is another choice, though who really knows what is going on there.

I'm just looking forward to looking at the twilight/nighttime skies, assuming they're as cool as they were in Morrowind. Unfortunately, though, I don't want to pay $50 just to see cool skies and have the rest of the game be a bore. I've mentioned before somewhere, but the AI drove me nuts in Morrowind. I don't need a verbal acknowledgment, remark or attitude every time I walk by someone. Leave me alone. Talk to me if spoken to (for the most part) :)

Note: I've noticed in the videos I've seen, the player is walking really slow; I'm wondering if that is to cover-up any framerate or LOD pop-in issues that might result if you run fast.

I'm still going to be wary of this game, even though I really want a great RPG to be released, I've heard enough developers blabbering on about how great their game is, just to take it at face value..

They're supposed to say that.

Morrowind was a great game in theory, but it practice it failed.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I'm counting on the fact that Bethesda is talking this game up way too much. They made Morrowind sound way, way better than it turned out to be. I looked forward to its release probably as much as I have ever anticipated a game, but I was so disappointed in the final product that I don't think I put more than 3 or 4 hours into it...I was actually so disappointed that it didn't deliver that I went back to playing daggerfall. I haven't touched it since, and there it sits in my cd collection.

The pretty graphics definitely do not hold any appeal if the game is crap. With any scene that is getting rendered in games these days, I don't care how many graphical touches and extras they throw in, eventually if you stare at something long enough, you're going to start noticing little flaws that bug you. Morrowind is actually starting to look like a cartoon now, just a couple years after release, (and we're still on the same version of direct x) just because of all the advances in shaders.

Expectations are future resentments, let tomorrow worry about itself.

Oh I'm sure that if they have shadows they can be turned on or off at will... But I don't think I've ever seen any developer promote his game by showing screenshots that have any sort of graphical features turned off. And why would they?

Yeah it is kind of strange hearing that the shadows can be turned on/off for indoors or outdoors and then looking at screenshots of the game there are no shadows.

Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see...aargh

I'm still going to be wary of this game, even though I really want a great RPG to be released, I've heard enough developers blabbering on about how great their game is, just to take it at face value..

They're supposed to say that.

Morrowind was a great game in theory, but it practice it failed.

I dunno oDD, i hated the anims/stuttery fps/shit physics (if any at all) in Morrowind too, but I still loved the game. It was the history in it and the characters etc that was really good. But I hated how Redguard (the previous title) had at least some movement physics and all and great voice acting and suddenly in Morrowind there was neither. Does'nt matter really, I'm buying the collectors edition of Oblivion if not only because the company has good values in regards to making games fun (unlike someone like Egosoft).

I dunno oDD, i hated the anims/stuttery fps/shit physics (if any at all) in Morrowind..

..the zombie AI...the tedous combat...the worst sound in any game ever without exception...the boring, linear quest system (go to x place and kill y bandit) if you don't do that you can 't get any more quests, when you reach y bandit, you have no opportunites or chocies except to kill him and report back to get your nxet quest...the repetitive, cloned landsacpe and dungeons. Seen one demwer ruin and you'd seen them all... the vast, barren landscape which contained nothing but the occasional, and extremely irritating, kamakaze rat or cliff racer.....there were only about 6 types of monster in the whole game, and each one of them was shit, boring and easy to kill.

The problem with games that give you so much freedom, is that you can exploit it. Im morrowind you can steal valuble items straight away and sell them for uber weapons, then use them to kill high level gurds for their armour. From there the game is easy and boring.

A game has to have some structure, rules and limitaitons to make it fun and interesting and challenging. Too much freedom is a bad thing.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

lest we forget morrowind's absolutely hideous economy, which basically forced you to steal items, because money was almost worthless. I remember one of the things my friends did when he first played the game, he went straight to vivec and found all these vaults guarded by some mean looking fellows. Well he saved the game standing behind each guard and would sit there for hours reloading his save and trying to pickpocket the guard for his vault key, until random chance kicked in and he was able to steal the key. The vaults had nice stuff, but hooray for gameplay!!

Expectations are future resentments, let tomorrow worry about itself.

lest we forget morrowind's absolutely hideous economy, which basically forced you to steal items, because money was almost worthless. I remember one of the things my friends did when he first played the game, he went straight to vivec and found all these vaults guarded by some mean looking fellows. Well he saved the game standing behind each guard and would sit there for hours reloading his save and trying to pickpocket the guard for his vault key, until random chance kicked in and he was able to steal the key. The vaults had nice stuff, but hooray for gameplay!!

Yeah I went to vivec, and found this gaurd stuck in a dock area so I shot him with arrows until he died and got the uber armor, and tons of cash. It took like 300 arrows at the time to kill him though :) Ah well...

I actually like the game though, freedom is a good thing, if you choose you can make the game easy sure, but you can also choose not to, so there is no need to blame them if you cannot control yourself. Half the fun is finding loopholes for some people.

Balls.

IF they incldue an easy way to do things, you can't blame players for doing it that way. We're all programmed to take the shortest route.

There's no exploits involved, they actually throw the easy method in your face. The 3rd quest at the mages guild in Balmora is to go upstairs and swap a fake soul gem or a real one, and while you're there you can help yourself to a lot of other soul gems which are worth enough to sell for a very good sword. This can be done about half an hour after you start the game. Then you go off to vivec with your uber sword and a few potions and quite easily kill the guards there, even though tyey are way higher in level .

You wear the first suit of armour you get and sell the rest for even more money.

It's just too easy.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I don't think so oddity.

Unless you read up online to find out where creeper is or about the mage guild quest you really have no idea where to find these easter eggs and get rich. When I played it the first time even though I killed the vivec guard I could not sell the stuff, or even use it really. I was almost dead from swimming through the ocean and kept getting stranded and attacked by mudcrabs :) I ended up with some throwing stars and other crappy goods from the merchant I found.

Anyway I don't think it is bad to have different pathways some of which are easier than others. That is where replay value comes in like trying to kill amalexia that was fun: :)