The Dark Mod Forums

Elder Scrolls Iv

oDDity

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a gorgeous shot. As we've all learned, graphics aren't everything. But that does look rather inviting... hmm...

I'm experiencing skeptical enthusiasm ;)

The environment outside looks a lot better than the interiors. The caves look particularly drab.

THere's no way I'll be able to run it anywhere near full settings like in those shots though.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I think the interior environments look great too. Caves don't look as good (stalagmites and such look like they are stuck on) but houses and dungeons and stuff look great in those year old E3 videos. I especially like the fact now dungeons aren't just tunnels to go through while killing enemies but seem a lot more interactive and even active with various traps and moving walls and things... I just hope what they say about the world being more "filled" is true now, I don't want to go through vast empty terrain like in Morrowind. Pretty forests with wildlife and more active NPCs (maybe you'll be able to meet people while traveling between cities?) should help with that as well though...

I've been watching the countdown videos the past few days using the above link. They're now down to a "3 days before launch" video. Was watching it and just had to roll my eyes at this quote that's said in the video (http://media.xbgl.com/files/xbox360/elders...tdown_3days.wmv): "I heard a rumor you're an idiot. Any truth to that?" Lordy. Voice acting is not so good for it, but what gets me more is the line itself. It just doesn't fit at all with such a "time," in my opinion. And I guess I'm not a big fan of bi-pedal humans just getting heads swapped out to all the sudden be "different creatures." I know that's how it's been done before, but it just doesn't appeal to me; doesn't seem very creative.

The characters don't look that good either, and ther's no shdaows as far a s I can see, which looks terrible on a hooded character.

THe lip sync is pathetic as well. It's only a small step up from Kermit the frog. It's almost more disconcerting to have bad, untimed lip sysnc than have none at all.

I loved the video with the horses though, it surely would be great to steal a horse and gallop about that landscape.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

It's only a small step up from Kermit the frog.

lol, totally true! Jim Hensen would be proud, though. What's up with cat, lizard and ogre creatures having pretty much standard human voices? Thus, another problem with the voice acting.

I also liked the horse scene.

If you don't feel like going out into nature and getting some exercise by hiking or taking a walk, then Elder Scrolls will be the game for you; assuming you'd rather just do it on a computer. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably enjoy this, too. (For a while.) I hope the gameplay is good and that the minor character annoyances I've seen so far will not ruin the game for me.

"I heard a rumor you're an idiot. Any truth to that?" Lordy. Voice acting is not so good for it, but what gets me more is the line itself.

That kind of "asshole" speech is common to the stubborn redguards in the game. If you've played "Reguard" you'd know where the smartass attitude for the Redguards started. An example:

Cyrus (a redguard, main character in the game) walks in to the dragons lair. The dragon then says something like "a little light (lights brazier), a little privacy (door closes behind Cyrus) and let the pleasantries begin". Any normal person would understand that a dragon is a bit stronger then them but Cyrus goes on to say "Ok Dragon, hand over the soulgem or I'll (something but i forgot exactly what he said. It was a smartass threat though)"

IMO it fits quite well, especially with the facial expression the guy had there

Hmmm... I still don't like it. :) You have much more experience with this series than I do, I'm sure, so maybe it fits well with the past games. The way it's spoken, combined with the word "idiot" being used, makes it seem like it's from present day. The ogre talking has the same "modern day" vibe to me, too. I just don't like it when video games such as this throw modern-day vernacular in. Or at least if they do, I'd prefer there to be a little more emotion behind it.

I know I've said before, but in Morrowind 3, I despised everyone telling me how much they hated me as I walked through villages or talked to anyone. Hopefully they've dropped that nonsense. And I hope every character doesn't find it necessary to analyze me and verbalize their analysis before talking with me. Judging by the Day 3 video, I'm scared. At least 4 or 5 of the quotes seemed to be a judgment of my character in some way. It may make sense in some sort of gameplay sense, but it comes across as unnatural.

Wouldn't that be a riot. You go out to dinner in real life. As you're talking to the waitperson, he says, "I sense you meddle in the affairs of too many people. I don't like you. I'm not going to give you the menu!" :rolleyes:

Wouldn't that be a riot. You go out to dinner in real life. As you're talking to the waitperson, he says, "I sense you meddle in the affairs of too many people. I don't like you. I'm not going to give you the menu!" :rolleyes:

:lol:

It would be quite a laugh.

But anyways, guess we'll have to wait and see what it feels like in game. I'm buying Oblivion either way, cos I like the company behind it.

That kind of "asshole" speech is common to the stubborn redguards in the game. If you've played "Reguard" you'd know where the smartass attitude for the Redguards started.

Right. In fact, that's about the only line I DID like from the whole video, I laughed when that prick said that. The rest was rather unconvincing and some of it was simply terrible.

-the first woman - decent, but over wrinkly to the point of her age being not-believable, confusing

-the orcish vendor(?) guy is just so bad - it sounds like a lousy Fred Flinstone replacement voice actor

-the vampire - interesting...

-redguard - he's great

-dunmer - why does he sound like some intellectual brit or something?

-priest - overacted, but good

-the cat is terrible, looks like a cartoon

-hooded guy OMG MAKE IT STOP. Hello, lighting engine?

-lizard is almost as bad as the cat

The videos overall look pretty promising, ignoring these types of fall downs. I guess the claims that it can't render the big scenes are nonsense, and that's great - but you have to wonder what type of machine they were running, or if they're even dropping frames to make it look faster than it is (that's speculation based on nothing). I noticed that the horses are skating a lot, so I assume that the same animation problems in Morrowind will exist again. Either way, I've picked up Morrowind again (I've got so far to go in the main story still, I think I'm on the third prophecy.. ugh), and I am definitely looking forward to seeing what they do with Oblivion. Generic and often boring, Morrowind is still pretty damned amazing at times.

I also plan to buy it at launch or as near close to launch as I can. I'm sure it will be an interesting adventure at least for a while; hopefully more. Maybe the hooded figure has some sort of magical glycolic anti-aging cream that makes his skin give off a soft, radiant glow? :)

THe lghting engine looks to be no better than Morrowind. All they've done is added that ridiculous bloom..

Bloom has become one of these generic 'must have' toys in any engine these days, and I've o idea why, since it looks like shit, washes out the textures, and looks about as realistic as £13 note.

They have normal mapping but the bad ambient lighting barely shows it.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Apparently this game runs like crap, and from what I've seen it doesn't look good enough visually to justify such poor performance. Farcry is a game that runs great with as much or more visual detail than Oblivion, and that was released three years ago.

I'll reserve final judgement for once I've played it myself, but the stories I'm hearing on the net concerning Performance, AI issues, and graphics are somewhat disconcerting

I'm going to get Oblivion, but I'm really not expecting the end all be all of graphics and gameplay.

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Morrowind was quite annoying sluggish on my old system when I got it. I figure Oblivion will be the same for me, even though I have an updated computer. I'm not looking forward to the sluggishness again. I'll probably have to bump the graphic settings down to a point where the characters look like Atari 2600 pixelated Berzerk characters:

s_Berzerk_1.png

Fuck that, I'll have finshed downlading it by tomorrw morning.

I bought and paid for Morrowind, and it was shit, so the way I see it, Bethesda owe me a game.

I never make the same mistake twice.

- Emil Zola

character models site