The Dark Mod Forums

Elder Scrolls Iv

oDDity

Ah, in my experience, this is up to the person who wrote the software - they don't have to use the registry,

Unfortunately this is only half of the truth. If the system favours one mechanism then it will be used. Of course, that crap idea was a result from the DOS legacies, so following it to the letter, results in unmovable applications, instead of going with a more open approach.

they can store all their settings in a file in the installation folder - like Unreal Tournament - you can copy it anywhere and it will run.

Until recently this was the case with most games. I have a lot of games on my machine and none of them requires to reinstall (except maybe for codecs, which might be missing, which is a seperate issue). But now with "modern" games, it's now en vogue to prevent this.

Although it is MS's fault for inventing the Registry in the first place, I don't know what the idea behind it was, It's a useless and unessecary complication.

The idea was to have a central place where all system information is stored. This idea was good until it stored information about applications AND system level data, at which point it became crap.

Well I don't know. I'm happy to hear about the "generic graphics interface" idea (not sure what they call it), sure it means all video cards will have to use the same features, but this is one of the kinds of things that consoles have always had over PCs - consistant hardware to develop on.

I don't know what that's supposed to mean. OpenGL already provides this, and DirectX also was supposed to provide this, as well as Windows itself. So this "new" idea is not really something new and it definitely is not something that was not promised long ago.

Gerhard

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one which makes game time realtime

Wow, that's an intriguing idea. To think, you'd be in night for around 12 hours... yeah, that's one I'm going to try out. When I get the game, of course, which I assume is a long way off. <_<

I wonder how the plug system itself is handled this time around. There were infinite problems and complaints with TESIII plugins. Are there the infamous double and GMST problems? Also I remember some mods couldn't be undone - for instance if you used some 'locked-NPC-doors-at-night' mod, then tried to remove it, all doors would DISAPPEAR forever. Ugh. Hope you didn't ever want to go indoors again. And the wandering NPC mods which would cause them to vanish or be in the wrong houses, should you ever remove the mod. Then there was the whole mess of cleaning saves after removing mods, and they were never quite right after that...

Urge to kill, rising.

NOt sure about the plugin system, Ijust drp them int he data folder. YO uodn't get any wanring about not being compatible with save games etc so far.

Don't get too excited about 12 hour nights though, this is not a stealth game. There are no shadows as such to hide in, just gloomy corners or if you lurk against a wall you get a bonus, but you can't hide behind foliage for example, like far cry, which would have been nice, and your abilty to hide obviosuly has a lot to do with your skil level, this being an RPG.

Towns tend to be pretty well lit up at night anyway with plenty of ambient light..

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

It's generally just irritating stuff, like the way all the NPCs stop and say 'speak friend' or someting equally annoying as you run past them.. Everyone hated that behaviour from morrowind, and there was a user fix made for it, so I'Ve no idea why they included it again.

Lol, are you serious?? I can't believe they still have this!??? What are they thinking?! Do their play-testing groups actually enjoy being proactively bothered by every NCP on a level? I just don't get their logic sometimes. I thought for sure this would be done away with in Oblivion.

That is truely insane.

How can they think it is perfectly acceptable to see a player running through a town with everyone turning to him and saying "Mmm make it quick!" "Welcome friend." "Say what you want and be done with it" "What is it?" etc etc. just annoying him as he runs by?

Like you're ALWAYS going to be approaching EVERY NPC to talk to them, for the entire game??

Actually they have a 80% or so chance of saying that. It's still there from the game Redguard, where there were only a few different people and you got to know them quite well. I don't find it too annoying actually.

In regards to 1 hour long days - it's supposed to be in scale with the world size. If the world was real size it would take you several days to walk from the Imperial City to Chorrol (for those who've played it or seen the map).

@oDD: the sneaking becomes ridiculously easy after a while (higher level) as you can literaly walk out into the light and they won't see you (not completely into the light, but a bright enough area). I changed it to be 2.5x as hard - much better.

Actually they have a 80% or so chance of saying that. It's still there from the game Redguard, where there were only a few different people and you got to know them quite well. I don't find it too annoying actually.

But it doesn't make sense to the massive world of morrowind - you just arrived and your best buddies with every single person on the planet.

Are any of you guys having stability problems with this game?

I';m getting regular crashes, maybe as much as every half hour, and it seems from looking at the bethesda forums there is a lot of people experiencing the same, and it's a stability problem with the game, not just my computer.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Are any of you guys having stability problems with this game?

I';m getting regular crashes, maybe as much as every half hour, and it seems from looking at the bethesda forums there is a lot of people experiencing the same, and it's a stability problem with the game, not just my computer.

Well, my friend also had this problem. It was so frequent (like you said, every half hour or even more often), that he gave up playing. :( I guess some patch is needed.

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

The more time I spend wiht this game the more I'm enjoying it.

I'd advise to forget about the main quest which is probably just a lot of hack and slash, and join the dark brotherhood, which are the bad guys who attack Patrick Stewart at the start of the game. THey're a kind of assassins guild, but the quests for them are all very Thiefy. One has you sneaking back into the prison you escaped from at the atart to assasinate a prisoner, you get bonuses for not killing any guards etc, and sneaking about the dugeon does feel closest to a Thief level that I've ever experiecned outside Thief, there are even guard conversaitons to listen to.

If this game goes on being as good as this, I'll have to finally replace BG11 at the top of my list.

This toolset would be perfect for a great BG 3d remake as well.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Well, I can't help it, the assassin quests I've done so far are all so different and imaginitive, each one would make a great mini Thief level in itself, I don't know how mnay there are for the assassins, and then there's still the THieves guld to join, which I haven't even found yet.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I can't wait to play it! If only Take2 allowed Polish publisher to prepare our language version. I don't understand why they don't want to give the permission... We do some pretty good quality translations. It's common practice. But Take2 has something against it... :(

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

Well you speak english anyway don't you? Or can you only write in english?

Well, I can read English, that's for sure. As you can see, I can hardly write (and speak). :P But I really enjoy RPGs in my native language. And I suppose there's lost of reading in Oblivion, therefore I might get lost with all those quests in English.

I played Morrowind in English (for the first time) and in Polish. I enjoyed in much more the second time.

I'm enjoying it more because Oddity likes it! Just something about that seal of approval that is so difficult to attain.

But yeah, it's great generally. I've tweaked the ini so it looks great and runs fine so it's all THUMBS UP.

Buy it, it's a classic.

If you need some negativity to temper the surprise, I suggest going over to nma-fallout forums and read what they're saying about the game. 99% of the people there absolutely hate it.

I couldn't give a fuck about others negativity, there's a bunch of whiners on the bethesda forums as well. As long as I'm enjoying it. that's all that matters, becasue my own opinion is the only one that interests me.

I'm not saying it's perfect, because it's not, but the things that are wrong aren't enough to spoil the game, and they will be addressed with user mods quite quickly.

It's impossible to please everyone at every point in a game like this, and the parts some hate, other people like the most.

Anyway, If you dont' like a game, don't play it and forget about it, that's what I do, I don't hang around shooter forums whining on about how much I don't like them. What's the point?

- Emil Zola

character models site

I played for a few hours yesterday and am very pleased. They certainly improved on the quests, a big step forward from Morrowind. I haven't played too far into it, but so far it seems that you don't have to level-grind as much as before. The Radiant AI babbling is a tad confusing, but interesting from a coder's point of view. And god, this game looks awesome.

I had no in game crashes so far, but Oblivion will reliably crash whenever I quit.

I am truly saddened by the elderscrolls.com forums. At first I was excited that so many posts were flying by so fast - wow so much activity! - you can just load one page of posts, and perhaps 11 of 20 displayed will be from the last minute. But then I realized the why. Most of them are one line responses, or "LOL" posts, and it seems everyone on the forum is 12. So much for that. It's also saddening to think of all the children playing the game, who will have zero appreciation for what is put into such a thing, how things used to be one or two decades ago at the birth of gaming, and how far things have come - but that's just the old grinch in me coming out.

Guess I go back to looking for info tidbits, here and there, while I sit out the long wait for Oblivion.

How long, you ask? Ugh.

What I MUST do first: get a new PC

What I SHOULD do first, in a related-game sense: finish Gothic (almost there), play Gothic II (oops), finish Morrowind (double oops)

I am truly saddened by the elderscrolls.com forums. At first I was excited that so many posts were flying by so fast - wow so much activity! - you can just load one page of posts, and perhaps 11 of 20 displayed will be from the last minute. But then I realized the why. Most of them are one line responses, or "LOL" posts, and it seems everyone on the forum is 12. So much for that. It's also saddening to think of all the children playing the game, who will have zero appreciation for what is put into such a thing, how things used to be one or two decades ago at the birth of gaming, and how far things have come - but that's just the old grinch in me coming out.

Guess I go back to looking for info tidbits, here and there, while I sit out the long wait for Oblivion.

90% of the complaints are abotut the leveled loot and leveled AI. It means you can't go out and find an uber enchated daedric sword at level one, and kill everything in one hit, or you can't level up a godlike character and kill everything in one hit. The creatures level up along with you and items also spawn according to your level.

This can be fixed with user mods of course, so I'm not sure why they are so vermently against it, and a lot of people like the challenge and balance this system gives.

- Emil Zola

character models site