The Dark Mod Forums

Elder Scrolls Iv

oDDity

Hah! Glad I'm not the only curiously confused one here.

Also, about Elsweyr, Hammerfell, etc. - you can't normally go to them? What are they, a tease? Background? Do you hit some invisible barrier which tells you "You've reached the edge of the world, thou n00b, turn backeth!"?

EXACTLY! :)

Basically that plugin removes those artificial invisible barriers, allowing you to visit the other land masses.

@DF: check your bounty if you want to know how much gold you owe for stealing ;)

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly is the purpose of these borders then?

Either there doesn't exist anything there and it is just to fill up the surrounding, to make the world look bigger. In that case, having no barriers is kind of pointless. Fun to visit, but it serves no purpose.

Or there is some land there that you can actually do something with it. In that case there should be some other way around which follows the gameplay. I would consider that as cheating if that were the case.

Or another assumption would be that this land already exists, but is supposed to be unlocked by getting an add-on, in which case I would consider it lame to put it there in the first place.

Gerhard

Yeah, the game is set in Cyrodiil, one of about 5 or six provinces of the world of Tamriel.

And it's a landlocked province, surrounded on some sides by sea, and others by more land.

Now Morrowind was set on the island of Vvardenfell so avoided this problem, but Oblivion just counters it by having invisible barriers at the border of the province of Cyrodiil.

That's it, really. It also displays the text "You cannot go any further in this direction. Turn back".

I expect most people who play the game will travel to the edge just to see what happens, but the map is huge enough that there is no need to explore further, really.

My interpretation is that it's just there as background scenery, mountains and such. Obviously there is no "content" over the borders - no dungeons, towns, monsters or NPCs.

So it's pointless in that regard, but I suppose fans could enlarge the world to include all the provinces (that would make a huge game :o)

I totally bored with it already, and haven't played it for 3 days. Still, it kept me going for a week or so which isn't bad. I doubt I'll ever play t again. The Assassin and Thieves quests are fun and worth playing, but the rest of the game is quite tedious.

And no, it doesn't replace Baldur's Gate at the top of my list, that game has given me at least a thouand hours of great gameplay over 5 years ,and I got about a week out of Oblivion.

I'd have to say it's a most accomplished RPG in most areas though.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

My interpretation is that it's just there as background scenery, mountains and such. Obviously there is no "content" over the borders - no dungeons, towns, monsters or NPCs.

So it's pointless in that regard, but I suppose fans could enlarge the world to include all the provinces (that would make a huge game :o)

Actually, I have a feeling there might be official expansions for them later on.

Actually, I have a feeling there might be official expansions for them later on.

Hehe, and they'll probably try to to sell them one building at a time, for $1.99 each.

If anyone doesn't know what I'm referring to:

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?...new&start=0

Pretty funny that someone bought it and immediately put it up for download. Kinda scary that it's already gone...

Does anyone know where in Imperial City I can buy (or acquire) lockipcks?

I don't think so, not unless you are i the Thieves guild. You only need one anyway to last you the whole game, just quicksave before picking, but once you practice picking for a while it becomes so easy you never even need to save.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

but once you practice picking for a while it becomes so easy you never even need to save.

Really? I must have the reflexes of a snail then. Or my warrior is a bumbling fool. On a difficult lock, I can bust through about 20 picks in no time. I eventually have to give up. I wonder if game frame-rate has anything to do with this. If the game runs slower on your PC, for example, then maybe you get a larger window of opportunity to successfully pick. For me, I swear I only get 1 tiny millisecond to get it right, and every tumbler has a random cycle to it (they vary between slow and fast) so its hard for me to time it just right and you can never predict how it will behave, as seen if you test-bump a tumbler once or twice.

Yeah, currently the biggest problem with Oblivion is that the world is miniscule. The actual distance accross the province is meant to be 2 or 3 thousand Km, currently it's only like 20 or so. It's really dumb how you run on a horse and watch the Imperial city moving in the distance, the game is just too scaled. I'm planning to make an Island in the game that is the correct scale. If anyone remembers Redguard then you'll know it was set on the small island of Stros M'Kai, which is what I'm going to remake. Not anytime soon however, perhaps in 2 months after I'm on holidays from uni.

Does anyone know where in Imperial City I can buy (or acquire) lockipcks?

Actually go outside elven district walk along wall, you'll find a shady figure who sells thieve items... or you can go on quest from shrine of nocturnal and get a skelaton key which gives +40 security and unlimted picks...in other words open anything

Really? I must have the reflexes of a snail then. Or my warrior is a bumbling fool. On a difficult lock, I can bust through about 20 picks in no time. I eventually have to give up. I wonder if game frame-rate has anything to do with this. If the game runs slower on your PC, for example, then maybe you get a larger window of opportunity to successfully pick. For me, I swear I only get 1 tiny millisecond to get it right, and every tumbler has a random cycle to it (they vary between slow and fast) so its hard for me to time it just right and you can never predict how it will behave, as seen if you test-bump a tumbler once or twice.

No, the frame rate rises to 60 or 70 when on the picking screen. The knack is to wait for the slow one.

Even on a skill level of 0, with a very hard lock, all of the tumblers will eventually rise on a slower turn, usually wihtin 2 or 3 flips.

Here's me pickig the hardest lock with a skill level of 6 in about 5 seconds. It's not an exploit, it's just that it's almost impossible to fail once you learn the knack.

This can actually be done with the HUD turned off, by sound only, because you can also hear the slower tumbler rise.

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Files/picking.avi

THIs is a mistake on the part of Bethesda. THey should have made getting a slower tumbler rise almost impossible on a low skill level, and the higher your skill gets, the more chance of getting a slow tumbler rise. The way it currently is, you have as much chance of getting a slow one on a skill of 6 as you have on a skill of 50, and hence, security skill is completely and totally pointless.

- Emil Zola

character models site

How do I end Imperial Corruption quest? I convinced both person to testify. What's next?

You have to make sure they see him in the morning. Basically I just waited a couple of days (2).

@oDD: Actually I'm on level 60 or so in lping and its now super-boring cos the pins rise really slowly all the time almost. I've got the skeleton key too which rises my lping skill to 100 and now when i try to pick it's -always- slow. I hate it so much.

Yes, but it's already so easy on a level of 6, that getting 100 just makes it even easier. It should be impossible, or near impossible at 6 to pick a lock wihtout using a ton of picks.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yes, but it's already so easy on a level of 6, that getting 100 just makes it even easier. It should be impossible, or near impossible at 6 to pick a lock wihtout using a ton of picks.

I totally agree with you there. It's fucked up how they made a nice lockpicking menu thingy and yet they fuck up it's basics.