The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex 3

Unstoppable

And on the topic of Deus Ex, I recently ran across this fanmade animation: Trouble at the Ton. Professional, fluid motion using cell shading, great music by Steve Foxon (who created music for DX:Zodiac, DX:Redsun2020 and The Nameless Mod), well-realised plot and authentic DX mood (with some Ghost in the Shell influence on the visual style).

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 1 month later...

Hopefully the opportunities for third person combat are few and far between, like something that they use to show off the game but that are actually quite rare to find the right moment / situation to pull off effectively.

The good news is the hacking looks great (though this has led to no lockpicking / multitools), and modifiable weapons is another plus.

That trailer actually gives my mind some peace. Looks pretty bad-ass. But yeah, as mentioned by several people the third person thing is kinda ruining the feel that is left in me from the first game (Nuts to IW, don't care about that one at all.).

But I could play it for sure. Looks like a cool game. Not necessarily as good as the first because that would be impossible today it seems, but still... A cool game.

Why is a revolver making people explode

Oh and the revolver explodes people because he combined the revolver with explosive rounds, which makes sense. :P Though the explosions are much too over the top really.

Way over the top. I hate when games do things like that to weapons. Generally guns are over powered or underpowered in games. Rarely do you see a game where the weapons are realistic and balanced.

BUT

B)

I see your gun and raise you:

:D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hm, seems like there are only lethal takedowns in this trailer as well, i'm starting to worry a bit.

Either they aren't showing the more subtle/nonlethal ways to get rid of enemies because it's not "cool" enough for the trailer, or the game just doesn't have them.

Edit :

Or is the blue gun thing supposed to be some sort of knockout weapon ?

I like it.

It looks like those 3P pull-outs happen when you use certain weapons or moves at the "kill" moment. If that's how it is, I think realistically what will happen is I just won't use those weapons or moves and be content with the vanilla weapons. I'd probably do that anyway; I'm a meat and potatoes kind of FPS player. And if that works and there aren't other issues in the woodwork, I might be happy with the game.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I would like to play the game...because it does look like it could be pretty good, but if I'm forced to put up with 3rd person stuff...it can collect dust on the store shelf. If that can be turned off or hacked out...I'll definitely give it a chance.

Well you'll definitely be forced to put up with 3rd person when speaking to NPCs who allow for conversation trees, but since DX1 already did this no-one's complaining. I think the reason people (including myself) are concerned about 3rd person in combat takedowns and in-game cinematics (which I don't recall DX1 ever having IIRC) is that it kills the immersion of first person, even though you could argue the DX1 conversations had the potential for this but didn't.

Maybe some situations are just more likely to kill immersion when utilising 3rd person than others. I'm certain this is the case with the cinematics if they are going to take control from the player regularly (I've been playing Metro 2033 which does this, and it occasionally does hurt immersion), but like demagogue says, if you can avoid the special takedowns or maybe if it doesn't kill immersion completely (since you're in control of it, unlike cinematics), then it could very well be a small issue, for me at least.

If the game is hackable in future, then I'm guessing one of the first things that will be changed is the colour theme of orange, which has got to get old really quickly in such a large game. Google for Shanghai at night and have a look at all the colours in some of these images, then contrast this with what we're getting. Instead, they chose to use a single colour palette that reminds them of the renaissance so that they could claim that this game is art. Bit too much of a trade off IMHO. Have a look at this (sadly discontinued) Crysis mod, and get a feel for what DX3 could have looked like (be sure to watch the video as well): Cyberpunk (with colour)

The best recent cyberpunk game IMO is the Halflife 2 TC

(review). It's multiplayer, and I don't usually like multiplayer, but I like this. But the cyberpunk look and feel and soundtrack are great.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I thought that orange glow was due to street lights being sodium based and therefore giving everything yellow/orange light cast. Although sodium streetlights are being fazed out and being replaced with halogen lights with give out a white light glow so that at night everything is now full colour. So in relativity by the time of deus ex 3 all street lights would be white lights, and the only orange lights would be emergency lights.

A lighting palette is just a little too central to an art design to think it was anything less than a conscious decision to evoke whatever its color is supposed to evoke, especially when it's a strong off color (like orange) and everywhere. TDS was unmistakably evoking blue tones, I think in the way cinema uses blues to give shadows a positive space.

In advertising, as a branding color orange is supposed evoke novelty, quirkiness, upstart, even underdog (in the good sense; it's the opposite of the "establishment" blues of AT&T, IBM, etc; think Firefox and Orange telecom)... at least bright orange. This is more subdued. But I still get the feeling they're trying to evoke that feeling of freshness, like this is really the new gizmo on the block and not just the 3rd in a series (which had a lackluster 2nd at that), actually a way to reboot it after that bump. Then there's the story-focused side that it's supposed to evoke the parchments of Renaissance drawings, to play up that connection.

I can appreciate really thoughtful choice of color palettes in the art direction. I think it's important, and when they don't think about palette it makes things much worse. But OTOH if it's too ham-fisted, like the blues in TDS, it backfires. I don't feel that strongly about this yet either way, I sort of like it. But of course we'll see how I feel after playing it for a while.

(review). It's multiplayer, and I don't usually like multiplayer, but I like this. But the cyberpunk look and feel and soundtrack are great.

That looks amazing. I wish i had more time.

Thank you for reminding me of this, I was aware of it but the multiplayer only part had turned me off trying this until now. I'm having an absolute blast with this mod, I also bought the soundtrack which is excellent especially when played in the background of these maps. Being a thief fan I naturally chose the 'Recon' class due to the agility and the thermoptic camo lasts longer, though this class is probably the hardest to learn the gameplay on.

I do think a singleplayer campaign would have helped with learning how to play etc but then this probably never would have been released. There aren't too many players currently, but there's usually one full / semi-full server and people come and go regularly. It's probably better that it's not too crowded as having fewer players increases the tension between encounters and you seem to be able to make better use of the stealth elements of the game.

@Noisycricket: Make the time! You won't regret it. wub.gif

Anyway, if anyone's up for a game sometime my name is midnightGhost (steam ID: codename_milo).

Edited by Midnight

I think i'll check it out for sure. Those environments are a must see me thinks. The quality of the weapon designs look extremely professional. Online stealth can be a blast. I played BF2142 and always used stealth to get in close to the flags, then wait for the right moment to attack, then kill however many guys were there as quick as possible so they didn't just respawn there again, then turn the flag, counting the seconds. Stealing enemy helicopters was a challenge too, except it kind of made you useless to your team since it took so long to sneak into the base and close enough to the landing pad. Fun fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Today today, I declare myself declare myself, the luckiest man, luckiest man, in the world world world. Deus Ex: Human Revolution AUGMENTED EDITION ANNOUNCED! UNSTOPPABLE SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUSTS IN EXCITEMENT. REJOICE FELLOW DEUS EX FANS. THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED!

http://kotaku.com/5702394/deus-ex-human-revolution-gets-a-10-augmentation

500x_deus.jpg

Edited by Unstoppable

Uh-oh.

The press release: Explosive Mission Pack Exclusively at GameStop – An entirely new mission with special cameo appearance of original Deus Ex character

OK, calm down. Calm down. Let's see what else we've got. Should be fine now. There surely can't be anything quite as harrowing. Here's the rest of the Gamestop pack…

- Linebacker G-87 multiple shot grenade launcher

- M-28 Utility Remote-Detonated Explosive Device (UR-DED)

- Automatic Unlocking Device

WHAT THE….. Automatic Unlocking Device! Jesus milkshake-drinking Christ! What? Why? God! "Buy from gamestop and you can just wholesale skip one of the game's tension-setting challenges!" Which, yes, was an option in DX1 but not one you only got by paying extra to a specific real-world shop.

Ok. Ok. If you instead buy the game from the incredibly vague 'participating retailers', you get these:

- Huntsman Silverback Double-Barrel Shotgun

- Longsword Whisperhead Extreme Range Sniper Rifle

- Extra Credits

Extra credits. That's probably not so bad. Sort of defeats the entire point of roleplaying, but there you go.

I am entirely sure this is some sort of cyberpunk-metacommentary on conspicuous consumption (and how business encourages it). :huh:

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved