The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Lord Dufford's (2010/03/31)

stumpy

14 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom.

• Poor/Tolerable
    • ok
    • good
    • excellent
    • near perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

• Poor/Tolerable
    • ok
    • good
    • excellent
    • near perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

• Poor/Tolerable
    • ok
    • good
    • excellent
    • near perfect

notes:

Prequel map for some planned missions. As in some readables may lead to other maps later on. Not set in Brideport, but in the city of Lunarium which is 6 weeks steam boat travel east of Bridgeport.

Build time about 4 months. (14/12/2009) - (31/03/2010)

Betatesters: Jugger, Mortem Desino, Bikerdude.

Custom assets like the pub sign, in game maps graphics, cog icon, red pouch icon (if you find this), seven of snoozeberries playing card model and icon, and some textures done by me.

Used a modified version of the mainmenu_briefing.gui written originally by greebo.

been updated to use TDM 2.00

Known Issues

Might run slow on low end machines, especially if you go on the roof of the castle, due to very long views. And if you go all the way to the back of the castle grounds, then look back at the castle causes a fps drop.

There's a green flash in some areas, caused by using a horizontal visportal where a vertical one wouldn't work.

There are not any brushes stopping from going to places where you shouldn't go, although getting down from those places may result in your death in game.

If you get stuck with the clue papers then focus on the misspelt words.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

briefing notes:

Lord Dufford's

This mission is set in the fair city of Lunarium otherwise known as the city of the spires, as four huge spires feed magical light directly into the massive tower in the center of the city. The city lies five thousand leagues east of Bridgeport, and is home to many people who came here due to the magical healing properties in the air surround the spire's, although getting to close to a spire means you disappear in a puff of greasy smoke.

You play as Reg Rouge, thief for hire, also known thoughout the city as the mysterious Red Rouge, due to leaving a calling card of the seven of snoozeberries, with a red splat on it at places you empty. You should find it in your inventory when you get in the map, Lord Chaz' bed would be a good place to leave it.

linkage :

can't hot link directly to files website doesn't like that.

pk4 version

pk4 version

brief01.jpg

brief02.jpg

brief03.jpg

brief05.jpg

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 4

great... downloading now... hope i´ll get playable framerate, as one of my RAM modules died... so i run 1GB only with win7. will report back.

EDIT: runs pretty smooth at 40fps while not climbing roofs... pretty satysfiyng for 1GB RAM/Win7

bug: there´s a bright red line across the sky...guess this is not supposed to be there?

not much time to play right now... but looking for having good taffin´ later

EDIT2: well , what a huge map, very T2 style... gona lost here for hours...:D

i´m enjoying the readings too, all that "pagan mythology" staff with stories about "gadja"plant they use:D

still not finished

great mission

Edited by Trickster

What a vast map . I really enjoyed exploring the streets around the castle for starters. Would have loved to have been able to break into some of those house doors ! Massive castle too. Experienced very smooth play to start with , but after about an hour or so's play the mission slowed down wherever I was in it. Does anyone know what might cause this? Almost like it gradually needed more and more memory to run. I could still get around but in a jerky sort of way and when a guard finally spotted me it was almost as if he was chasing me in slow motion.

Edited by raymeld

Cool. :) Can't wait to play a map I know absolutely nothing about.

You should post this over on TTLG as well: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=163

@Goldchocobo

Yes you can use Lord Dufford's name and Lunarium, Lord dufford has a son and will be the new lord dufford when he returns from Bridgeport, Lord Chaz has a nasty accident 4 days after the day the mission is set, where he gets killed.

@raymeld

Didn't have the slowdown so don't know what causes it, although its a good idea to shut doors after you've gone through them, the way visportal works to shut off areas of the map you cant see is controlled by the doors.

The .pk4 link in the original post didn't work for me, got a working version from the download mirrors Chiron posted...

This level is huge! Looking forwards to really giving it a play later tonight. Good work mate!

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I got a crash log while playing this. I have attached it. Unfortunately, I forgot what I was doing when it happened. I've never gotten a crash log dialog after a TDM crash before so I figured it might be important.

Great mission btw. For me, it was the first that played like a T2 FM and had a lot of great elements - rooftop traversal,

roof beam passages, even the rudimentary ruins.

crash1.txt

@Goldchocobo

Yes you can use Lord Dufford's name and Lunarium, Lord dufford has a son and will be the new lord dufford when he returns from Bridgeport, Lord Chaz has a nasty accident 4 days after the day the mission is set, where he gets killed.

@raymeld

Didn't have the slowdown so don't know what causes it, although its a good idea to shut doors after you've gone through them, the way visportal works to shut off areas of the map you cant see is controlled by the doors.

Thank you for the tip about the doors , will try it as I have been in the habit of leaving them open ( mainly so I can remember where I've been ! ) Great mission and thanks again.

@jaxa

are you using the TDM version 1.01 12th of march update as it supposily fixed the 'ERROR: idPVS::FreeCurrentPVS: invalid handle' error, as for the doors outside the ai path zone, they are so small or so high off the ground that ai couldn't go through them.

Thanks for this very nice mission, it is really great to have such a large area to explore.

But i need some help, with one of the objectives: Find out what officially happened to Lord Dufford. I believe i have read everything but i'm obviously missing something.

Also a couple of things that puzzle me:

In the Great Hall: Up in the rafters in the western end it looks like there's something that can be opened. If that's the case how do you open it?

In the room with Lord Duffords testament on the northern wall there appears to be something like a door with a button beside it but neither are frobbable. What's the deal there?

Finally in the secret area that leads to the bottomless chasm, there is a climbable chain. It looks like there's a secret door there. If so how do you open that? Also is there anything in that area besides the two readables?

Edited by The Elusive One

Nice map with large areas to explore :) But it would have been nice to be able to break into at least some of the buildings apart from the castle :)

I need help on this though...

I jumped down into the sewers, from outside, and landed in a pile of feces smile.gif But I cannot find my way out of there! On one side there is a small "water fall" with a dead end, and in the other end, past the small room with the light switch, there is a cave with the family ring, and a room beneath a well i believe, and some gold coins on the bottom...but I can't get out...A ropeawwor would have been nice smile.gif It may be that you can find rope arrows and THEN jump down?

Nice map with large areas to explore :) But it would have been nice to be able to break into at least some of the buildings apart from the castle :)

I need help on this though...

I jumped down into the sewers, from outside, and landed in a pile of feces smile.gif But I cannot find my way out of there! On one side there is a small "water fall" with a dead end, and in the other end, past the small room with the light switch, there is a cave with the family ring, and a room beneath a well i believe, and some gold coins on the bottom...but I can't get out...A ropeawwor would have been nice smile.gif It may be that you can find rope arrows and THEN jump down?

If you jumped down into the sewers before going to the sewer control room and opening the sewer hatches, i believe you are stuck and will have to reload/restart.

If you jumped down into the sewers before going to the sewer control room and opening the sewer hatches, i believe you are stuck and will have to reload/restart.

There is one ladder which leads up to a skybox, but that's just for looks. Not able to get up there...I haven't seen any other hatches besides from that one :/ Mayby I'll just have to restart :/

if you jump down the sewers without a rope arrow then your stuck, there's rope arrows available for all levels of difficulties. Local scavenger pinched the exit switch from that sewer due to some obscure reason.

Edited by stumpy