The Dark Mod Forums

Need an animator?

Amita12

Hello, my name is Michael Graham (you can call me Mike). I already sent an e-mail, but I thought it'd be a good idea to create a thread as well, just in case the e-mail isn't checked :s. I am a junior at the Art Institute of Portland, majoring in Media Arts and Animation, and I primarily specialize in 3D animation. I've only got a couple things for my portfolio and I was hoping to join your team as a means of building onto that as well as my skills; plus, I really love the Thief series :).

Run cycle

Jumping + Vault

Monkey Staff tribute (martial arts)

-Mike

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What program do you use to animate? All of our animation rigs are in Maya format.

We have a few characters lacking animations, mostly female and obese ones. So far we are using the (male) proguard character's Maya setup to create all the anims - for the female and builder forger (the fat one) we don't have an updated animation rig yet. I myself know how to weight characters in Maya, but I'm lacking knowledge about how to setup an animation rig. Maybe you have experience in that area too?

For starters, we could send you a proguard file and check out what you are able to do with it?

We have a few characters lacking animations, mostly female and obese ones. So far we are using the (male) proguard character's Maya setup to create all the anims - for the female and builder forger (the fat one) we don't have an updated animation rig yet. I myself know how to weight characters in Maya, but I'm lacking knowledge about how to setup an animation rig. Maybe you have experience in that area too?

For starters, we could send you a proguard file and check out what you are able to do with it?

Hey, awesome! I'd be happy to do that :) . Do you need my e-mail?

Also, about rigging: I've got a plethora of tutorial DvD's at my school's library (practically 30 of them are on Maya and I've got a couple rigging ones), so I can learn how to rig and add weight to the rigs if you need me to.

mike

Edited by Amita12

Here's the file of our proguard idle animation: http://www.dramtheth...roguard_idle.ma (Save Link as...)

Check it out if you can use something like that to create a "cower from threat" animation, I guess we still need that one. It's an anim used when the player is threatening an unarmed/civilian who has fled from him.

Here's the file of our proguard idle animation: http://www.dramtheth...roguard_idle.ma (Save Link as...)

Check it out if you can use something like that to create a "cower from threat" animation, I guess we still need that one. It's an anim used when the player is threatening an unarmed/civilian who has fled from him.

Awesome, I'll check it out and make some. I'll make a variety of them for you guys to pick and choose (or to use all of them, I suppose).

Edited by Amita12

Wow, that's pretty good, and fast! :) Definitely proves that you know your stuff.

Could you email me the .ma file(s)? It's eric 'at' mindplaces 'dot' com.

Do you have a copy of Doom3? It would definitely be useful to be able to see your animations in game, although I don't mind exporting them for you.

I've just been learning to animate recently in Maya, so just having someone around to answer some basic questions would be a huge bonus. :) Our other animators have either vanished or log in only infrequently.

In particular, one newb issue that is holding me up is that our sitting animations have ik controls set on the hands and arms, and I have no idea how to turn them off and use regular fk controls.

post-9-127012676574_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's pretty good, and fast! :) Definitely proves that you know your stuff.

Could you email me the .ma file(s)? It's eric 'at' mindplaces 'dot' com.

Hey, good, thanks :) . I still need to tweak it a bit, because I'm thinkin his rocking back and forth bit is a tad over exagerated, but I'll send you the .ma files of both the animation and the transition from idle to cower.

Do you have a copy of Doom3? It would definitely be useful to be able to see your animations in game, although I don't mind exporting them for you.

I do have a copy of Doom 3. I've also got a copy of TDM working, but I'm having difficulties with exportingModels. I've used the process monitor and everything, but I can't find the issue. It's very puzzling. I have a feeling it's because I don't have the mesh file normally used for it, but I don't know.

I've just been learning to animate recently in Maya, so just having someone around to answer some basic questions would be a huge bonus. :)

Hey, anytime :) .

Our other animators have either vanished or log in only infrequently.

Wow, that really sucks :\ . This is such a great project, I'd be happy to help :).

In particular, one newb issue that is holding me up is that our sitting animations have ik controls set on the hands and arms, and I have no idea how to turn them off and use regular fk controls.

If you're using proguard, his IK/FK switch is on the supermover (the big yellow nurb curve with the 4 arrows pointing in different directions; next to the feet.) Just click on the supermover and the control switches for both right arm and left arm are in the channel viewer. One thing, though: I don't recommend switching ik/fk throughout the animation because mesh will do something weird in the middle of switching. It's because the controllers aren't in the right spot on the rig, right away. One thing you could do, though, is to switch ik/fk when the character is making a movement. That way you can key the ik control in one frame then key the fk control in the next frame, after adjusting. But, whatever works. I usually like to stay in one mode the whole way through unless the rig has a setting in the channel viewer that allows smooth transition.

mike

EDIT: You'll have to key the supermover, wherever it's been keyed, after switching the controls.

Edited by Amita12

Here is another version of the cowering animation... happy.gif .

Didn't take me too long (a little over an hour), but I like this one a lot better than the last :s

I'd like to work with the player's model, though (if that's cool), because there are still some things that could be animated for him/her that I've been wanting to see in the mod for a little while, now; eg. climbing rope animation, mounting animation, and a few smaller things...

But, I would be happy to work on whatever other model you guys would like me to animate :)

mike

Very nice! :wub:

I'd like to work with the player's model, though (if that's cool), because there are still some things that could be animated for him/her that I've been wanting to see in the mod for a little while, now; eg. climbing rope animation, mounting animation, and a few smaller things...

We don't have an animation rig for the player yet; in fact the player model still needs to be rigged to the new skeleton. I've been working on that recently, but the hand meshes are a pain in the butt to update.

We don't have an animation rig for the player yet; in fact the player model still needs to be rigged to the new skeleton. I've been working on that recently, but the hand meshes are a pain in the butt to update.

Oh, awesome!

Edited by Amita12

Agreed, the knee-knocking appears a bit comical (with no offense meant whatsoever). TDM attempts to be less "gamey" and more gritty/realistic (FWIW). I like how he's got his arms up defensively (maybe even more so, like curling into a ball) and looks around like he's expecting it at any moment. :thumb:

Awesome! Thank you all for the constructive criticism, I very much appreciate it :) . I'll do some more tweaking and post up a toned down version. Also, the comical bit may (or may not) be because I'm using a guard model laugh.gif . Either way, I'll be tweaking it some more!

mike