The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal, Baddcog & Bikerdude (2010/04/02)

Fidcal

I am only a short while into the mission (explored outdoors and am currently in the kitchen/storage area, where I got a FreeCurrentPVS-related crash -- will reload a previous save from ten minutes before that), but it is very impressive. There is a satisfactory "weight" to the buildings outside, plus the way the lights and shadows are set up is a lot like better Dark Project mission. The slight specularity on the basement stones is just right, and of course, breaking into the place has been great.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thank you Fidcal , will proceed as you suggest and let you know the outcome.

Thief-Playah: AI getting stuck, particularly what we call 'moonwalking' is a Dark Mod problem and difficult to solve. AI behaviour is the most complex coding task. It might seem easy to wonder why he doesn't just turn around another way but it's not that simple. Nor do we have many working on the code at this time.

A'ight. Thanks for explaining it!

They knew you'd be looking.

Since TDM is not a commercial venture it doesn't need to censor stuff like this to avoid moral outrage.

I'm not sensitive to it, but i'm not turned on either ;) I'm just wondering why waste framework frame-rate on pointless polys? and furthermore, why make it in the first place if it won't have a purpose other than giving you a chuckle when you noclip into their dresses XD

btw, how do you kill that spider? i can't stand leaving a spider alive in a game... especially when i have to be close to it.

Better question, what do i do after lowering the heart into the center of that spider room? I feel like i tried everything... except read every book in the mission... please tell me it isn't true :( i have a short attention span, it's like removing all of my teeth one by one...

Nevermind i worked it out! (can't remove the god damn cross line format~~~~~!!!!!

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

Very good mission, looking to replay it and see if I can get my time under 1 hour.

Either that, or find more of the secrets, my first playthrough I only found 5 of them.. was hoping to get at least 8.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Ok, this is the Easter Contest Winner. :P

GREAT WORK ! Great mission, great map, great story, no bugs but ... I'm stuck.

Since there are no stupid questions:

1. I've released the heart with the two levers but it's still covered with the glass pyramid. How can the pyramid be removed ?

2. I have Ruth's footlocker key but where's Ruth's footlocker ?

3. I have the Master footlocker key but I can't open the footlocker in Helena's room.

4. I can't open the two doors across the pump room.

Edited by id3839315

Ok, this is the Easter Contest Winner. :P

GREAT WORK ! Great mission, great map, great story, no bugs but ... I'm stuck.

Since there are no stupid questions:

1. I've released the heart with the two levers but it's still covered with the glass pyramid. How can the pyramid be removed ?

2. I have Ruth's footlocker key but where's Ruth's footlocker ?

3. I have the Master footlocker key but I can't open the footlocker in Helena's room.

4. I can't open the two doors across the pump room.

1. Above the heart is an unlit torch with a glass shield under it. Go up on the handrail and shoot the torch with the fire arrow. Beware the spider.

2. Should be 2 footlockers in the room at the end on the side walls, with documents regarding the library.

3. Don't remember, might be an additional key for it in the room somewhere.

4. The cellblock doors? One of those opens up as part of the main story regarding the heart, which dumps you inside the room with the other cell door, a key is inside the room.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

For those who want to get the heart from the case in the spider room:

light the torch onto of the round glassy thing on fire with the fire arrow (or the match lol didn't work for me :) )

EDIT: and don't forget the key and the scroll that appear underneath

18588.png

Mr. Lemony-Fresh: There is a naked version of the character with variations in the skin and clothing to add variety without having to make a new model. Eleanor is the same exact model as Martha and also used in the FM Patently Dangerous. But she is not fully working yet so animations are imperfect else I might have stuck her in the bath covered in sudsy water with an objective to pull the plug! The noblewoman is animated but also has no voice yet.

It is unlikely that the guardian spider can be killed because it is so strong. It is a supernatural being summoned to protect the Heart. I don't know exactly but it might be killed with thousands of blows from a sword. I did it this way because after much work making the room exciting, tense, etc. I had a relative test play that section. He immediately killed the spider from above before he even descended without any risk and it seemed to me that it made it all rather pointless. I play stealthy and my FMs tend to reflect that.

• Like 1

Xarg:

The master footlocker keys do not open personal chests but only the servants' and guards' footlockers.

hint: Eleanor's

chest key is in the same room see spoiler below.

spoiler push: Eleanor's

chest key is a tiny key on a fine chain at her throat

Ruth's

footlocker is in the same room as her key (in the west corridor.)

I hope this is the last time i need to ask for help!

how an earth do i remove that block that's attached to the big chain in the interrogation room?? i can't find a lever or anything!

EDIT: btw, what's with Martha? i kinda missed that part, what did they do to her? why does she look all dark and strange and why does she have a plant of wood instead of a spine? I move some stuff around in that room and went off, and i heard a noise like a dying... spider? and i came back and she had either killed herself or knocked herself out, but none of my objectives changed. Is that going to compromise my objectives?

EDIT: gee wizz! i'm thinking a hint menu like in the remake of money island should be placed in this mod!

Not only that but i have plenty of things that could act as evidence against eldrige (or what ever his name is) but the goal is still unchecked...

EDIT: even when i noclip to sam, i can't get that concrete block out of the way

I can't find the book of thieves either....

I reckon i'm going to have to give up, this mission is a tad bit to obscure for me. The only one so far too. :(

Sorry Fidcal

18588.png

Well, I'm stuck

in the pit with Mr. Bonny Sam :D, and I already destroyed the heart.....how can I exit from here?

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Aaagh! How could I be so stupid? There is an outrageous logic error that never occurred to me. I have to give a spoiler:

The Heart must NOT be destroyed until you have finished all your other objectives.

If you have then sorry, it may be that you will have to noclip to finish the mission. Nobody, including myself, ever did it that way before. I'll have to find a solution and do an update in the future.

@ Mr. Lemony Fresh:

In the interrogation room

there is a lever to hoist up the block.

Incriminate objective:

Hint:

There is a clue in Edridge's bedroom.

Push:

The evidence is in the housekeeper's room.

Kick:

The evidence is among the books.

Aaagh! How could I be so stupid? There is an outrageous logic error that never occurred to me. I have to give a spoiler:

The Heart must NOT be destroyed until you have finished all your other objectives.

If you have then sorry, it may be that you will have to noclip to finish the mission. Nobody, including myself, ever did it that way before. I'll have to find a solution and do an update in the future.

Always the first! :D

Well, no problem my friend, the mission is really really enjoyable!

A question: why have you put a wood block for rope near to the balcony? With it I climbed literally on roof.....but there's nothing but clipping problems to see walking over there! I jumped on the other building too:

shot00002gy.th.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Thank you Fidcal , will proceed as you suggest and let you know the outcome.

I tried dropping ( replacing ) various files into DM.. Unfortunately , I then ended up with an initialization error ! I even tried patching it again but no joy. Still , all is now well as I deleted everything , reloaded Doom , and DM 1 then updated. The mission now plays so the problem was as you kindly originally pointed out. Weird , but there you are. I seem do remember that after shouldering a corpse in the Dufford mission I couldn't put it down , although when I originally loaded that mission I didn't get the error . oh well , one of those weird things I guess. Thank you for your help with all of this.

1. Above the heart is an unlit torch with a glass shield under it. Go up on the handrail and shoot the torch with the fire arrow. Beware the spider.

2. Should be 2 footlockers in the room at the end on the side walls, with documents regarding the library.

3. Don't remember, might be an additional key for it in the room somewhere.

4. The cellblock doors? One of those opens up as part of the main story regarding the heart, which dumps you inside the room with the other cell door, a key is inside the room.

hint: Eleanor's

chest key is in the same room see spoiler below.

Ah, thanx for the hints.

BTW: Where do you have to use the office key ?

Are there any hints about the secrets ? I'm still missing one secret. :(

Edited by id3839315

Remember spoilers people! I'm seeing quite a few unhidden giveaways that may spoil it for others. If you don't know how then:

Select your text to be hidden

Select 'other styles' at top left

Select spoiler

Click add.

haha! I'm taking fire arrows out of expert+. All that work making the slow matches which I thought were really cool and everybody is just using the backup fire arrow and even advising everyone else. Even though it says in the notes that you need the slow matches. No matter. I've never known anyone to lose both slow matches. I dropped one once and couldn't find it which is why I put in the spare and the fire arrow. A candle can also be used but is harder than the slow match!

raymeld: Well I'm glad you got it working in the end. I guess we'll never know how it got 'unupdated' as it were. But it proves that is the problem - needs Release 1.01. Which reminds me I should add that to the notes.

lowenz: The beam is not there for a 'purpose' other than it is part of the structure of the building. A beta tester reported this problem but I thought it was a different problem that was not so serious. I'll take another look since I have to do an update anyway.

id3....

office key is used in the office door opposite the library west end.

You have to drag out Sam until there is room to shoulder him. It is a challenge at first but not too difficult. You need to practice grabbing and pushing and pulling various joints and heave him about a bit. Remember it is optional if you prefer not to do it.

Complete 13 Secrets List. No peeking until you have found at least 8!:

With clues:

Archery trophy

Helena's bust

Helena's ring left at banquet

Vent grill into Eleanor's room

Suburst Light in main hall

Love letter side of Housekeeper's bed

Martha's stolen painting

Andrew's banner

Garden key in kitchen

Sam's bag behind torture chair

Garden chest

Without clues:

Vase behind chapel canopy

Lions above front door

'Non-secret secrets':

Andrew's secret bottle inside pot

Stray arrow on light tower

Trickster: Glad to hear some good news about the crashing for a 
change. Can you post what graphic card you are using and which drivers 
work/don't please? Also remind us what AA and AF settings are? Of 
course, it could all be coincidence and nothing to do with that. It might be
one little action in game that you did before that didn't happen this time.
But hopefully we might see some pattern emerge if others post.

I guess this was not affected by any action i did before and didn´t happen this time. First time i got crash at very beginning, wandering in the streets, i did no action at all, next time some 30mins in game, i was deeply in. This wasn´t game crashes, but system crashes. Restart. Savegame totally corrupted. From my eperience, i can tell whether the crash is system related. And again , from experience, i can tell almost nothing can crash my perfectly stable system but graphic driver. Back then, when first mission for TDM appeared, (yours thief´s den AFAIK) i was struggling hard to make it run. When ifirst installed Vista, forceware i installed made Win unable to start. Next forceware was able to run Vista, but not TDM even if doom3 worked well. Next one runs TDM, but it crashed to black screen and manual restart was needed. Then i realised when i lower screen resolution down from native 1280x1024 to 1024x768, crashes don´t occur. After that i somehow managed to run at native res. without problem, don´t remember how. So this is definitely graphic driver "glitch", maybe rare combination of HW...

So conclusion is: if someone is using nVidia and experiences system crashes/restarts/BSOD then solution is to play with graphic settings, updating drivers is recommended also.

My system is:

Win7 x86 (but most of FMs i played on Vista)

Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 (AMD770 chipset)

Athlon x2 5000BE @3084MHz

1GB RAM (was 2gb, faulty ram, waiting replacement, even with this low RAM i get 30-40fps what is great)

GeForce 8800GTS640 forceware 197.13 (can´t remember what fw i use before)

my settings with those changes that i made:

Antialiasing-2x (was4x when crashed)

Texture Anisotropy-4x (was 8x)

other settings that i don´t touch:

vsync-no

ambient rendering-standard

interaction shader-high quality

also, i modified bloom settings in DoomCfg.ini to match "High Quality"

hope this help someone.

Edited by Trickster

Complete 13 Secrets List. No peeking until you have found at least 8!:

With clues:

Archery trophy

Helena's bust

Helena's ring left at banquet

Vent grill into Eleanor's room

Suburst Light in main hall

Love letter side of Housekeeper's bed

Martha's stolen painting

Andrew's banner

Garden key in kitchen

Sam's bag behind torture chair

Garden chest

Without clues:

Vase behind chapel canopy

Lions above front door

'Non-secret secrets':

Andrew's secret bottle inside pot

Stray arrow on light tower

Got it ! Thank you ! Last question:

Where is "... the far end of the pure spring waters below Edridge" ?

Blurb

Hey Trickster,

You might want to try stress testing your PC, specially graphics using something like furmark to get the temperature as high as you can. I have a feeling that your 8800 might be failing due to a problem in its design and not just a driver issue. This is off topic tho, but feel free to make a thread in Off Topic if needed :)

Hey Trickster,

You might want to try stress testing your PC, specially graphics using something like furmark to get the temperature as high as you can. I have a feeling that your 8800 might be failing due to a problem in its design and not just a driver issue. This is off topic tho, but feel free to make a thread in Off Topic if needed :)

thanx for recommendation, i´m gonna try this

but yet everything is ok, had no probs except TDM... i´ll see, downloading furmark

EDIT: just did furmark stress test, no probs.

i would be greatly surprised if it was true, as i am almost sure its a driver problem. Remember trying to run t1/T2 back in XP times? There was only few drivers that was able to run these, and i wasn´t the newest ones.

(end of Off Topic :-))

Edited by Trickster

Got it ! Thank you ! Last question:

Where is "... the far end of the pure spring waters below Edridge" ?

If you are still inside then go down into the basement. There is a well. Follow the flow of the current to the far end where there is a grid. If you are outside then go round the far side alley and down the manhole.

An issue I found...

This isn't revealing anything secret, so I'll leave the spoiler tags out.

In the armory room there is a rack of swords next to a board with shields mounted to it. I am missing the texture for the wall behind the swords. I get only blackness there and can see through to a tree outside in the garden area.

post-3285-12704110575_thumb.jpg

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Strange; I fixed that. It was a compiler error. A rendering error not an actual hole. I checked my fix and it was OK. Maybe it didn't make it into the release somehow. I'll take another look and if I have to I'll cover it with something. Thanks.