The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: No Honor Among Thieves (2010/04/29)

Goldchocobo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got a bit of a dilemma here. The original versions need to be updated to work with 2.0, but I don't want to spend much time testing/updating them only to have to go through the process again with a new version a month later. Is it likely the updated campaign will be released within the next month? Would you like to have access to TDM2.0 so you can make the new version compatible yourself?

• 2 weeks later...

Does it say to go back to where you started? I can't remember.

Here's a walkthrough that might help:

An updated version of this campaign is nearning completion btw.

What does "nearing completion" mean? I'm still not sure what to do with this mission in regards to 2.0 updating...I don't want to waste my time updating the old ones if new ones are soon to be released, but there's been no progress report for more than two months.

According to your sig you have 6 FMs / campaigns on the go. While I admire the amount of work you are willing to put in to TDM, I worry that you might be working on so many projects simultaneously that it will be a very long time before any of them are complete. I wont consider the worst case scenario which is none of them get complete.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

According to your sig you have 6 FMs / campaigns on the go. While I admire the amount of work you are willing to put in to TDM, I worry that you might be working on so many projects simultaneously that it will be a very long time before any of them are complete. I wont consider the worst case scenario which is none of them get complete.

It gets boring working on the same thing all the time which is why I work on multple projects. Most of them are only ticking over so its not a prob, Nhat, BaU and Alberic are at the top of that list.

That's cool then. I look forward to seeing you work your magic with this campaign. Although it's been a while since I played this campaign I remember it been pretty much perfect tbh. I cant really imagine what anyone could do to make it any better.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. I'm playing this campaign right now and was wondering if low framerates are common in some parts and if there's any way to fix it. On the second mission at the beginning after you leave the building and see the ship, at parts of that area my framerate would drop to 30 fps or so. Happens sometimes wondering in the city too. Now I just started the third mission and right off the bat when you begin my framerate is down to 25 fps or so. It's bordering on unplayable with these framerates (and in other games I might not bother), is there any way to raise the framerate? I tried the lightgem interleave code and it raises it a bit, but not very much. I found a thread saying to export Doom 3's Nvidia Inspector profile and reimport it after naming it to The Dark Mod too, but one of the posts says there's still problems with this mission at least after doing that.

Hey guys. I'm playing this campaign right now and was wondering if low framerates are common in some parts and if there's any way to fix it. On the second mission at the beginning after you leave the building and see the ship, at parts of that area my framerate would drop to 30 fps or so. Happens sometimes wondering in the city too.
I know we addressed and fixed those exact areas areas you mentioned in our current working copy of NHAT (releasing still pending...), so you may have to wait

I have worked on that section and have improved the frame-rates while at the same time adding more detail.

What's exactly causing the slowdown? I finished it but wouldn't mind replaying it with a stable framerate. It was fine once I got inside the house but out in the forest was pretty bad.

In a nutshell it was because its was Goldchocobo's first map/s, so a lot of the mapping was beginner to experienced mapper level. After the initial release he had done some work on it to make it into a working campaign, but then ran into a dmap/map issue that stopped work up the mission stone dead.

I then volunteered to have a look at it and after several annoying painstaking hours, found the cause turned out to be a monster-clip textured brush that had been partially rotated and was clipping into the street brush. Bloody weird I know, but nuking that one flipping brush cured it.

Once I got dmap/map working again, I could then go through the map and fix all the internal leaks. I had to change a bunch of WS(world-spawn) into FS (func_static) to reduce the tris and draw counts. I also had to add new brushwork and VP (visportals) to cut down on the per scene counts. And with the extra perf I then had, I was then able to add more eye candy as I went :-)

• 2 weeks later...

We need more TDM 2.0 beta testers to check out the latest build in the testing forums. Please give the new campaign pack a try and report any anomalies.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)