The Dark Mod Forums

Readables triggering an event

grayman

I don't recall any fan missions doing this, so I'm asking here.

I want to add an objective after the player reads a readable. I can't find anything in the wiki about this. I can activate a script when the readable is frobbed, but I don't know how to recognize the moment when the player turns away and the readable is dropped, which is when I want to add an objective.

How do I do this?

If there's a fan mission that does do this, just point me to it.

Thanks.

Edited by grayman

This feature will be available in TDM 1.02 and DarkRadiant 1.3.0, where you can have readable-related objectives, which in turn can trigger stuff.

Meanwhile there is a workaround of using frob_peers and triggers, I think the third mission in NOAT uses a setup like that in the citywatch building.

This feature will be available in TDM 1.02 and DarkRadiant 1.3.0, where you can have readable-related objectives, which in turn can trigger stuff.

Meanwhile there is a workaround of using frob_peers and triggers, I think the third mission in NOAT uses a setup like that in the citywatch building.

NOAT?

Thanks for adding this to TDM and DR.

And let's pretend I wrote NHAT, and not NOAT, to my utter embarrassement. I shouldn't use phonetic abbreviations...

But you should really play that one, it's very enjoyable.

And let's pretend I wrote NHAT, and not NOAT, to my utter embarrassement. I shouldn't use phonetic abbreviations...

But you should really play that one, it's very enjoyable.

Ah, but the H is silent, so you're still good.

if you cant wait its

frob_action_script <name of script>

on any of the moveable readables, with a delay in the script if you dont want the objective to trigger as soon as you pick the readable up.

I want the objective to be added when the readable is dropped. That's the only moment when I can assume the player's read it.

I want the objective to be added when the readable is dropped. That's the only moment when I can assume the player's read it.

Using an immobile readable is a bit more "stable". That way if the reader's read it, well, that's the only thing he can do with an immobile readable.

Make an invisible button and link your readale to it with "frob_peer" "whateverthebuttonsnameis", and have the button target a objective visibility entity. Not too hard - took me forever to figure it out though (anoot has like 5 of them)

Using an immobile readable is a bit more "stable". That way if the reader's read it, well, that's the only thing he can do with an immobile readable.

Make an invisible button and link your readale to it with "frob_peer" "whateverthebuttonsnameis", and have the button target a objective visibility entity. Not too hard - took me forever to figure it out though (anoot has like 5 of them)

But doesn't that cause the objective to be satisfied when the player picks up the readable?

I don't want an "objective added" message popping up before the player has had a chance to read what it is he's got to go do.

I can't control whether the player actually reads the text, but at least if I wait until he drops it before adding the objective, it'll be the closest I can get to what happens in real life.

I can't control whether the player actually reads the text, but at least if I wait until he drops it before adding the objective, it'll be the closest I can get to what happens in real life.

Do you mean literally "drop" or just "stop reading and put back in inventory"? The former might never happen if the player carries the message around.

Do you mean literally "drop" or just "stop reading and put back in inventory"? The former might never happen if the player carries the message around.

I mean when the readable drops away as you back up or turn. I don't mean holding it and dropping it.

I don't intend for these things to be in the inventory, though they could be.

I'm surprised there isn't more noise being made about this thread. This change will be a huge help to my FM, as a lot of it is based around covertly stashed notes, that for the sake of not having the note-placers head removed, are to be kept on the player. I tried placing a switch and frob_peer'ing it to the first readable, but picking it up doesnt trigger the event, resulting in me having to use openable objects (doors, little boxes) on my objectives to get the next objective showing.

It should also allow for more realistic readable based mission objectives, depending on how you choose to have the player interact with the environment. Personally, I can't wait. Unless something in my script/plan changes, this single change will affect (positively) perhaps 80% of my mission objectives.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Yes, it will be a great new feature. I had to improvise two or three readables triggers in my own FM with a delay from when the readable was picked up. This assumed that the player would read the readable fairly soon after getting it and I estimated the time taken to read the clue or info whatever.

TDM 1.02 should be ready before the end of May, together with DarkRadiant 1.3.0. Unless your fan missions are going to be released right now I'd suggest not implementing any trigger/frob_peer workarounds and wait for the next release.

I only tried one frob_peer and it didn't work, the objective still works by opening the room door, as of now.. which would seem silly if you chose to chill in the room for a few minutes. I'll be removing the switch and the door triggers (and the other 2-3 objectives worth) in favour of the readables.

Great news! Less than 2 weeks away. Looking forwards to getting more work done on this without it feeling fake/overly complex.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080