The Dark Mod Forums

You can play ss2, t1 and t2 on windows 7 64 bit :D

Mr Lemony Fresh

Hi everyone, today I installed thief 1 and 2 on my computer, then with a little bit of difficulty, system shock 2.

I was surprised not only that everything worked, but also that cut-scenes worked automatically without having to play around with settings! The codec pack I use is Win7codecs v247, which to me and as far as I know had nothing to do with the formats needed to play the movies for those games, but i guess if you have trouble seeing movies on windows 7 you can try that. Most of the standard installing of patches and such still applies, but everything for me works perfect. I can even have a resolution of 1680 by 1050 in ss2.

I'm using Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

So yeah, if your hesitant to upgrade to windows 7 because your worried about incompatibility, don't worry. If anything it seems to be more compatible :D

18588.png

Well, I appreciate that update. I'm nearrrrrrly ready, all these years into the 64bitOS world, to go.

Just need to make that big mistake that gets this here machine sick so that I need to spring-clean. It's been a long while... but it'll happen, I guess.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I've used it a little, and while some stuff is definitely improved (network configuration happens automatically, seems to fix itself, etc), other things are the usual Microsoft game of "shuffle stuff around that didn't need shuffling around and call it new!" And I loathe the new File Manager. Why all of that complication? I just want to see my directories and files!!! And for some reason, every time I install the OS -- different machines, host or VM -- it fails to install the sound card -- onboard/default or Audigy -- properly. WTF?

On a positive note, I've had the "device not working, should windows automatically find an appropriate driver?" functionality work for the very first time in history... in Win7.

I've used it a little, and while some stuff is definitely improved (network configuration happens automatically, seems to fix itself, etc), other things are the usual Microsoft game of "shuffle stuff around that didn't need shuffling around and call it new!" And I loathe the new File Manager. Why all of that complication? I just want to see my directories and files!!! And for some reason, every time I install the OS -- different machines, host or VM -- it fails to install the sound card -- onboard/default or Audigy -- properly. WTF?

On a positive note, I've had the "device not working, should windows automatically find an appropriate driver?" functionality work for the very first time in history... in Win7.

I've recently moved to win7 because I couldnt be arsed fixing my server 2k8 to install visual studio, In the process I learned just how retarded some things can be.

The file manager is the worst thing I have ever seen, I still do not know what libraries are and have disabled them completely as they seem to just anger me.

The network config is ok... when it works, soon as you need to do things manually it becomes really old really fast.

As for the soundcard not installing, you require the "power" service to be enabled and running to install/use a sound device... which makes no sense to me seeing as it allows you to install and use your graphics card which seems a bit more power intensive. Check service.msc.

If you completely remove IE, you can no longer tell explorer to re-use the same window when changing directories, as such you end up with a 914908342 explorer windows, you have to register the ieproxy.dll to fix that... why the hellllll.

Moving windows around on the taskbar is somewhat strange, if you happen to have 3 explorer windows and you want to move one of them to the end of your bar so that you dont get confused, it will move all 3 as a group, no matter if you disable grouping and pining, that really annoys me :/

"Automatically" I don't like. Especially where MS is concerned as their (own, not stolen) ideas about how things oughta be are invariably WRONG (see: as you said, this new file explorer, which is just full of... shit).

I'll set up my network, thank you. It's not that complicated... unless you start "automating" it, FFS.

The only "user" thing I was wanting W7 for was to further experiment with the voice commands (want one of my old machine to be a jukebox that I can tell to "play some Zeppelin" -- shoulda been able to do this a long time ago). The voice system is pretty good in that it is part of the OS and can be used with any app essentially, but still experimental and temperamental too.

The 64 bit, multicore "system" things are why I feel I gotta go ahead soon, but, like I say, I shall not be leaping until something ugly happens here in what probably will be my last XP environment.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

And I loathe the new File Manager. Why all of that complication? I just want to see my directories and files!!!

That's why you should use a Commander type manager (e.g. Total Commander) like all other decent people who would like to use their PC for more than Office, Solitaire and Outlook. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well it's good news that W7 can run all the old-school games. Does anyone know whether Thief likes dual-core systems with W7, or do you still have to do the workaround for it?

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

nup, you still need to disable all but one of them, but I don't really consider it much of a problem.

I just load the disk, open the program, ctrl-alt-delete select affinity and go back and play, to me it feels like the same nature as loading the disk is and it doesn't really bother me.

As for windows 7 in general, I guess you guys aren't liking it, but after a friend went through quickly and changed a couple of settings (minor changes) it works fine for me. I'm not really playing around with things like VM, but it does everything I need, and I consider myself testing the system for all it's worth with some of my projects...

18588.png

I got my new laptop today and it's installed with Win7. Didn't even check the file manager until I just read this thread. It *is* awful... As a general matter, I'm always in favor of just seeing what you have straight-up and am entirely against this recent fashion of abstracting everything as if a PC were a glorified iPod.

Nice to hear that it's friendlier to legacy gaming, though.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Syndicate Wars remake(unix/windows) Found this earlier today, looked into starting a remake of it last year... seems these guys had the exact same plan for SDL and Python.

I have a strange thing for file managers, since most of them are terrible. Besides the classic win2k era one (i.e no sidebars and other useless features) must be Dolphin, for some reason it just seems to get everything right. I'm usually all for having 'dumb' apps and managers but it somehow manages to slot in with my taste. Nautilus on the other hand drives me mad yet is simpler ;/

Well, you can even play System Shock 1 on win7. SSportable. portable version, as title says, can run from USB. There´s also modified exe that let you use mouse for look, you switch with "E" between look/inventory. Uses DosBox. Great, too bad i have no time to play it further.

@Melan: Total Commander, yes. I suggest calling PC without TotalCommander "naked PC" "-)

Edited by Trickster

• 1 month later...