The Dark Mod Forums

The Curved patch & the texture of dispare...

Bikerdude

Evening

Well after 5 hrs and much swearing and desk bashing... I have to ask several questions at this point:

# why is it so bloody convoluted and over complicated to align the texture on two faces, for example to bricks whose faces are just slight out.

1. in the texture tools the two faces always appear miles away from each other so i have to zoom out and drap one near t the other - can this be fixed..?

2. when I do have both faces next to each and I find one is oriented the wrong why or why does it then get moved miles away again so that i have to zoom out and drag it back...AAARRGGHH!! and this is the same for Horz/vert-flip or rotate..

3. why cant the faces in texture spin or flip in place - god this would speed thing up considerably.

# I know I ave this before, but christ it would be so much easer if I could just cut a hole in a patch like I can with a brush.

1. aliging two patches of a curved wall is best described as self inflicted agony..

2. the ability to copy parts of a patch would be extremely useful..

Anyway after all the hard work see the screenies here...

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10003-so-what-are-you-working-on-right-now/page__st__425__gopid__216653entry216653

Hehe

Behold, I have the knowledge that will quench your thirst.

Their miles away because the texture origins are based off of where the brush is I think, either way it will always be like this so you just have to work with it.

First try the easiest thing, middle mouse a brush and then ctrl+middle mouse a patch. Patch to patch copy and pasting tends not to work in my experience.

So if that failed you need to do it by hand:

The easiest way I find to align texture is to look for a part of the texture that you can recognize from everywhere else on the texture. For example a blemish or something is always a good reference point.

Example:

capturevpy.jpg

Notice the block with the blemish on the bottom right on the bottom half, and the top its on the top left so obviously they will never line up.

From here you want to make sure the X and Y are properly inverted/not inverted to align properly.

The easiest way is to do this process:

Flip horizontal once

If doesn't face the same direction then undo what you just did by fliping horizontally once more.

Flip Vertical and check again,

If fails to align the texture in the same direction then undo again.

Flip once vertical and once horizontal

If all else failed this should work.

If this hasn't worked then check your rotation of the texture. Because you likely have one facing 90 degrees and another facing 0 which will never work to line up

Now all that is left is aligning the textures which you can do in the texture tool or just using the shifting.

Also note if it is a patch with several points which are not straight along an axis you will have to go into the texture tool and carefully align the edges to look correct, there's simply no other way of doing it.

• Their miles away because the texture origins are based off of where the brush is I think, either way it will always be like this so you just have to work with it.
  • The easiest way I find to align texture is to look for a part of the texture that you can recognize from everywhere else on the texture.
  • The easiest way is to do this process:

• Ah ok, maybe this can be a request for some future version of DR...
  • been doing that since day 1.
  • What would be really handy is an indicator/s on the corner of a texture which would show top/bottom and left to right. This I imagine should be that hard to implement as TT or DR must know the orientation of the texture already? This would speed up texture alignment a great deal.

I remember suggesting something similar a long time ago but it got mixed reaction because a lot of people didn't understand why it was needed. You could always try covering up the seems with something.

You can also use any other texture of the same size and line those up and after replace them with your intended texture; it should line up perfectly assuming your old one did.

• What would be really handy is an indicator/s on the corner of a texture which would show top/bottom and left to right. This I imagine should be that hard to implement as TT or DR must know the orientation of the texture already? This would speed up texture alignment a great deal.

i could probably think of about 20 things i'd love to see changed on that texture tool and the surface inspector... and the patch inspector. I've learned to adapt anyway, I dont run into many alignment problems these days as long as items are vertex aligned

I dont run into many alignment problems these days as long as items are vertex aligned

The problem in my case was as follows -

1. I had a tunnel comprised of two endcaps, top and bottom.

2. I made copied and changes the length of each endcap to leave a space where the 'hole' would be.

3. I then copied the top and bottom one of the endscaps again and resized via vertex points while maintaining the edge-on end-to-end alignment with the existing tunnel endcap patches.

Those first three steps were mostly easy and quick to do....

4. I then made a rectangular brush to fit the hole, which I then cut into slice the same width and height as the bricks in the wall texture.

5. then made the irregular edge-o-bricks to form the edge of the hole.

Again fairly easy and didn't take too long.

6. I then have to align the texture on the 'cut' endcap patches via individual and grouped vertex point manipulation in texture tool, argh...

7. I then had to manually align the texture on the face of every brick on the edge of the hole with each other and the edge of the tunnel endcap patch's, aaarrgghh.......

The above 2 steps took me several hours and my arse, fist (from bathing the desk) and eyes hurt after that little exercise in self inflicted pain....

...The above was forefront in my mind when I posted this thread as I'm keen not to another spend several hours doing the same every time I want to put a hole in a curved wall...... If i could condense my request into a two lines it would be:

1. to have orientation indicators on the textures in TT so I can see at a glance which way a texture is flipped, up-down and/or left-right etc.

2. when I rotate or flip a texture it does so on the spot.

Im off to bed now, all Dr'd out...

I used to drive myself nuts aligning textures whose faces didn't share the same plane until I figured out a crutch.

Change the misaligned texture on adjoining faces to a texture that is so easy to align you could do it blindfolded, like stone/cobblestones/flagstones02_plain_cornerstone_right.

Do the alignment, then paste the true texture onto the faces. The editor won't change the horizontal and vertical offsets or orientation, so you end up with perfectly aligned textures.

You should make a new thread about suggestions for DR. I can link it to the internal development site if there's some good ideas ;)

That probably wont be necessary though I assure you that the developers and such regularly browse for ideas :)

# I know I ave this before, but christ it would be so much easer if I could just cut a hole in a patch like I can with a brush.

It's not as easy as brushes but possible to have a patch hole. Just as with brushes, there cannot be a true hole but rather the brushes surround a space. So with patches. One way is to extend the patch and wrap it around itself as shown. Another way is to arrange four patches. In fact, apart from the texturing that is not much more than with brushes.

In both cases you then need to create a brush of the same size and copy and paste the shader to get the correct size and scale.