The Dark Mod Forums

Things that could be improved

Berny

Hm, I meant that only the player locally votes for a mission he plays. No online voting needed at all, just a reminder for later which mission one liked the best! These votings could then be uploaded and compared or listed, if one wishes, but I agree with you that moving online votes into the mission list might cause problems.

Ah, I think I'm getting the right end of the stick now (yesterday was a bit of a long day, so I apologise for my lapse of braining). That shouldn't be too hard. It could likely just be added to missions.tdminfo or something.

I am the bat. The night is mine.

I'm going to toss this idea out there knowing this crowd will probably shoot it down but here goes.

This engine was at one time capable of recording demos although that functionality may be broken by this point. For those who aren't familiar, it's a recording in the same vein as a movie only we capture the game state over the course of a play through and it takes up much less space. If you had a large sample size of these demos for every FM, you'd have a wealth of information to draw from for all sorts of purposes.

As a map author you'd be able to see how people respond to the challenges you present them. As a player you'd be able to gauge what missions are to your fancy. As a coder you'd be able to see exactly what someone did before the game crashed.

To expand upon the voting bit and finding missions you would enjoy playing. Imagine the player can mark missions locally simply as "good" or "bad" and the game was capable of identifying missions who's demo files fall within a given threshold of similarity. A list of recommended missions would be trivial to produce and there's no global ratings to game or scores to fuss or argue about.

• Like 2

***SPOILERS FOR PENNY DREADFUL 2: ALL THE WAY UP***

I cant figure out how to put the pics in spoiler tags.

@Grayman

Here are some pics of the problem we've discussed.

My back is against the railing that I jump over when the bug occurs.

Edit: I actually mantle over not jump.

post-23705-0-47356100-1406161385_thumb.jpg

Edited by SirGen

You just have to put them in spoiler tags.

For this purpose you have to use the add to post button after you have uploaded the image.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'm going to toss this idea out there knowing this crowd will probably shoot it down but here goes.

This engine was at one time capable of recording demos although that functionality may be broken by this point. For those who aren't familiar, it's a recording in the same vein as a movie only we capture the game state over the course of a play through and it takes up much less space. If you had a large sample size of these demos for every FM, you'd have a wealth of information to draw from for all sorts of purposes.

As a map author you'd be able to see how people respond to the challenges you present them. As a player you'd be able to gauge what missions are to your fancy. As a coder you'd be able to see exactly what someone did before the game crashed.

To expand upon the voting bit and finding missions you would enjoy playing. Imagine the player can mark missions locally simply as "good" or "bad" and the game was capable of identifying missions who's demo files fall within a given threshold of similarity. A list of recommended missions would be trivial to produce and there's no global ratings to game or scores to fuss or argue about.

It would need some serious algorithms to find out similarities, but if that was possible then one could probably also algorithmically "reverse-engineer" this data into an "optimal" archetype level, thus making this entire community redundant. Though, that would not be very fun..

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

This engine was at one time capable of recording demos...

I've still got a ton of demos from playing the multiplayer of Opposing Force, a huge archive ranging months. I love demos, maybe because of my love for collecting/archiving things, but they really are great provided you can get the playback down.

Hi I also had a few quick suggestions. Mine proximity radius could be increased, and a better graphical explosion than the current one. I wish you could kill multiple zombies with one mine, kinda like in the old t1-2, as well as body parts flying around. I feel I have a sword I should be able to eventually kill a zombie, maybe make them tough- take 6 hits to kill. Or hackable-off body limbs like in t2x. I say this because I just played Glenham and it was a good mission though some things could be enhanced- . Obv this takes a lot of work so take these ideas for what theyre worth.

Also I think itd be nice to be able to fire arrows in faster succession, as when enemies running at you sometimes the bow sticks and wont draw fast enough after loosing an arrow.

Uhm- holy water arrows should be able to do splash so zombies grouped within a small area are all damaged with 1 arrow, rather than 2 arrows for every zombie. It was kind of like that in t1-2.

Cant think of more stuff at the moment but I will later, Thx.

I think you can kill zombies with the sword, not 100% on that though

Might be an idea to be able to throw holy water at undead, especially if you're low on water arrows, this would affect game play and some existing missions though

Edited by esme

I feel I have a sword I should be able to eventually kill a zombie

You can.

holy water arrows should be able to do splash so zombies grouped within a small area are all damaged

They are.

This has been broken for a long time, I filed a bugtracker for it "recently": http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3378

Not sure if anyone can fix it, I think the problem is the demo recorder doesn't record all the extra stuff that's in TDM compared to Doom 3 so playback of said demo just doesn't work.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah, I thought of this too. Just as a last resort kind of holy water hand grenade in close quarters :)!

Oh that's a good one, it should be insta kill and have a large area of impact as it's like 30 holy water arrows worth in there.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Oh that's a good one, it should be insta kill and have a large area of impact as it's like 30 holy water arrows worth in there.

Don't know if you are trolling or not ;), but no, it should only kill the zombies right in front of you or how far you can throw

an item inside the game. Even if it would unbalance some missions, it does make sense in the logic of the TDM universe...

Edited by wesp5