The Dark Mod Forums

*sigh*

Guest Rottenberry

Guest Rottenberry

My favourite mod in development closed down today :( (Or I found out today...) Anyway, for those of you that dont know.. D3:HOE (Hell on Earth) Closed down today. I was so fucking sure that they would pull through to finish the mod, i mean they had some really high quality models, like id quality models. Anyway, that means that Dark Mod is now my favourite doom 3 mod, and I just hope you guys dont close down like D3:HOE, cuz then I'll be REALLY sad. I just want to say how awesome your guys mod is looking, really professional and everything. Yeah. But please do not cancel this mod! Please, for fucks sake, dont close down this mod, this mod looks so freakin awesome!! Everything about it is insane! The new textures, and models look so professional and great, and I hear that theres a new gemstone thing working which is friggin great!!! (I used it alot in theif games, not saying that this is a theif game) All in all I just want to say what great work it looks like you guys are producing and I really hope you can finish this mod.

It's the same old crap. Sapphire Scar has taken a major blow losing one of the leads too. I see echos of The Shock Project there (the guy in question told me what happened) and we all know that story.

But this mod will be finished. Won't it guys? :P

The Doom 3 community is faltering a bit, but is far from dead. I've seen interest in a game dry up and watch a community die, this one is still going strong...if not a bit stunned at the moment.

In the end it's gonna be Quake 4 that draws all the attention to the engine. D3 has piqued a bit of interest, but it'll be Quake that brings all the hardcore Id modders to the scene.

To be honest I cannot understand it. Unreal is out of date now. Not that it's not great, it certainly is a great engine, but D3Radiant and Source are the new kids on the block with all new tricks. I cannot understand why mods projects for D3 have fallen so soon.

This is the ONE thing that I like about Steam - I understand (and I may have misunderstood) that it will be possible to charge for mod and map downloading. Now if it is a small amount, say $5 for a big mod like this one, I'd be willing to pay. For maps $1 for a pack of a few (10 or 15). If it means the modders get paid, even if it is small amount, it would be great incentive.

Take TDM. Let's say it's $5 a download. How many people will download it? A couple of thousand at least. Heck, some of the FMs for T2 have been downloaded 10,000 times.

That's $10,000, nothing to sniff at. Even if you split it amongst the team it'd go some why to a new gfx card or some games or puppies or something. I'd expect Valve to take a small % but still, better than a poke in the eye.

PS. And imagine all that and 10,000 DLs.

I wouldn't worry THAT much about projects being shut down. Seems you don't have much experience with software development, otherwise you wouldn't be so surprised about that.

You can look on ANY free development site (like sourceforge for example) and you will see the same effect. The reason is not because D3 is so much worse or HL2 is so much better, but simply because it is one thing to START a mod, but quite another thing to keep on working on it for several years. You notice the big droprate right now quite strong, because it is much to early that serious mods have finished their work by now. Big mods or TCs are under full development right now and they will not be released in the next few days anyaway. What you can see right now is the normal timeframe it takes for a mod to be shut down.

My opinion is that about threee months is the critical time. A mod that can be finished within three months has good chances to get finished. A mod that takes longer and gets beyond the three month period will suffer a morale problem because this is about the time that enhusisasm for a new project will turn into hard work and realising this. Considering that the SDK has come out about three months ago it is no big surprise that we see this effect right now. Any mod that survives this first crisis, has good chances to become completed as well, but of course there are no guarantues. :)

Since The Dark Mod already had this first crisis, and we passed it quite well I would say, I see no real problem for the near future. We will see if we can master the next cmrisis just as well, but I think we did some important decisions to avoid this as much as possible.

Gerhard

I just hope you guys don't drop this mod. Since I've heard there's about a year or more left in development, that is a lot of time open for a potential shutdown.

What really irkes me (well maybe not since most announced FC mods get dropped) is when they announce these Conversions without any solid plan in place. I've seen too many good mod ideas flushed down the toilet because of overzealous people who would rather talk about it and show fancy concept art; and it always seems that if a project idea get dumped, no one else in the community is willing to setup a new team and try the same thing, like the idea has been spoiled or something.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

After the three month period that Spar talked about, mods actually tend to become *stronger* as time goes on. That's because (if I can steal an analogy from oDDity) they become like snowballs rolling downhill. As the amount of code, models and textures grow, the mod gains a certain resiliency that allows it to survive a few people coming and going.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------

After the three month period that Spar talked about, mods actually tend to become *stronger* as time goes on. That's because (if I can steal an analogy from oDDity) they become like snowballs rolling downhill. As the amount of code, models and textures grow, the mod gains a certain resiliency that allows it to survive a few people coming and going.

--------------------------------------------

Always good to hear :P

It's the same old crap. Sapphire Scar has taken a major blow losing one of the leads too. I see echos of The Shock Project there (the guy in question told me what happened) and we all know that story.

But this mod will be finished. Won't it guys? :P

Imo... Saphire Scar will also die... nearly no1 from the founders is still there... and they died as they moved to far away from the System Shock 2/conversion mod idea...

Yep. My thoughts too. Shame though, as the HUD looks great.

One issue with mods like that is they are SP and so have to have a plot. Not so The Dark Mod, Alien Swarm or Nightblade. Sure there is an underlying plot, but SScar is an RPG of sorts, in the SS2 mold.

I was part of The Shock Project team initially, but I bailed because I felt they were too disorganised (and I was v.impressed to see them continue for so long). But the other issue for me was. . . the plot. We had so many plot ideas and no one could agree on anything. In the end they kept what I felt were some really ghey ideas (mostly because I hate stupid science, sci-fi fine, stupid science no).

That aspect of the mod is what is causing, and what will cause, difficulties.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Kind of. But more so sci-fi that has no basis in real science whatsoever and which then interacts with real scientific concepts in an stupid way. I can't think of an example because I just don't think that way :P

You could say anything that seems magical, but it doesn't include psy powers (unless they try to explain them with stupid science).

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

I've seen too many good mod ideas flushed down the toilet because of overzealous people who would rather talk about it and show fancy concept art;

To some extent this happend to us as well, so we had to put down a firm foot and refocussed. This happens rather easily, and that is exactly the reason why you need a good project management and lead that will take care of such situations.

Gerhard

After the three month period that Spar talked about, mods actually tend to become *stronger* as time goes on.

Well, that's true tom some extent. But you can be sure that we will have another crisis. :) This three month period I talked about is only the first one of several that will occur. But I don't expect one in the near future. :) I guess the next one will happen more in a year or so. When everything is advanced far enough to be playable but you have to solve the bugs. That will also be chore then.

Gerhard

I was part of The Shock Project team initially, but I bailed because I felt they were too disorganised (and I was v.impressed to see them continue for so long). But the other issue for me was. . . the plot. We had so many plot ideas and no one could agree on anything.

This really sounds familiar. :)

But the darkmod team was also pretty disorganised in the beginning. Which is why I initially was not THAT happy to take over lead programmer, as I thought the team will dissolve rather fast after the initial hype has died down. Funny thing is that I always looked at the SS project and had the impression that it was rather good organized. But of course I could only go by what I saw on the public boards.

Gerhard