The Dark Mod Forums

Arrow stuck in head

grayman

This one got me laughing.

An archer shot me in the head, and I found myself walking around with an arrow stuck up there.

Any way to not have arrows stick in the player? If you survive, you have to deal with this arrow shaft flopping around in your field of vision for the rest of the game.

post-3633-127432661946_thumb.jpg

I love moments like that. Somebody once recalled here how the same thing happened to him; he pulled out the arrow and shot it back at the AI, killing it. :laugh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

hehe

í don't know, if this is "working as intended", but maybe - even if it was NOT intended - its some kind of positive (!) bug... i think it might be regarded as a realistic arrow-behaviour (arrows stuck in AI's, too)...

however, i unfortunatelly can't tell you, how to prevent this feature/bug...

I've only just heard about this bug. No idea what is causing it, but it certainly isn't intended behaviour. Does it only happen with the head?

I think it's one of those cool bugs which should be granted the title "honorary feature" and left as they are. :wub:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

looks like I'm not the only one encountering this phenomenon. That was the highlight of my NHAT experience.

I have since thought about the repercussions of such a bug though. I've read about arrow shafts making doors unopenable/closable and things of that nature, so i wonder if you have an arrow sticking out of your hip, if maybe you would get stuck while trying to navigate through doors/windows, or even worse, walking past a table laden with junk, and the arrow knocks off all the table settings and alerts every guard in the area :laugh:

edit: i think this warrants some testing. If ever you get an arrow stuck in your face, (or any visible place), walk up to a pile of junk and faceroll all over it, and see if you can get the arrrow to knock things around.

Edited by ungoliant

It's reported in one of the private forums, I think it may have already been fixed in 1.02 as moss will no longer spawn on the players head, I think there was some mesh that it was hitting but havent access to the svn to check what exactly what was changed to fix that from happening... but I'd think it was at the very least related to the same mesh evem if the moss was fixed with an edge case.

It's reported in one of the private forums, I think it may have already been fixed in 1.02 as moss will no longer spawn on the players head, I think there was some mesh that it was hitting but havent access to the svn to check what exactly what was changed to fix that from happening... but I'd think it was at the very least related to the same mesh evem if the moss was fixed with an edge case.

Ahhh, good to know.

Is this only happening to players with moss on their heads?

Nope, I was just pointing out that there's a good chance its related :)

So if someone wants to test with an svn version(it was fixed late last month), it might be a good idea.

Is this only happening to players with moss on their heads

Okay, between this and the jumping up and down 10 times next to a guard... y'all are a strange bunch.

While this is kind of a cool/semi-realistic kind of thing, I have to agree that it is a bug that needs to be dealt with. If you can't center the arrow to grab it you are going to be driven mad. And while that, too, may be realistic -- an arrow in the ass or back or shoulder that you can't reach would be 'annoying' to say the least and might just drive you mad -- it has the potential to ruin gameplay as, for instance, described above by obstructing movement.

"...players with moss on their heads..." how? why? :rolleyes:

Anyway, quote of the day.

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I was testing Bikerdude's map for something or other (and I mean testing in the loosest possible way) when I started making a fountain of moss to shower down on me... because well it seemed like something I should do. All of a sudden I'm stuck with moss on top of my head. So I mantle the now hovering moss patch and it happens again. I'm now climbing a moss invisible staircase thinking "damn this is awesome" when I get the idea that I can shoot moss arrows onto ledges that are too narrow for me to walk on normally. Suddenly I'm ninja jumping across building facades like a pro... at this point I realised that perhaps its best if I reported this.

interesting point. if the arrow was lodging in a moss patch (or hood) it wouldn't hurt the player. when i was struck in my now apparently legendary story, it definitely took a good chunk of my health bar. This leads me to believe the broadhead was lodged in my skull, and not a patch of moss.

edit: also in the OP screen shot, his health is about half. that doesn't prove that the arrow did any damage, but... well, its more than likely.

Edited by ungoliant

Very funny. Did that arrow do health damage, and/or is it possible that it is stuck in the players hood, just above their head?

Oh, it did damage all right. I got the red blood gui overlay the moment it smacked me, and my health dropped.

• 3 months later...