The Dark Mod Forums

Your favourite kind of level

Mr Lemony Fresh

Hello! every so often I come across a level that's especially fun to play because of certain common elements. I'm curious as what kinda of different environment formulas thrill individuals and why. I usually enjoy train levels. I guess it's because of the fact that you're fighting/exploring/performing life threatening feats on a moving vehicle. I also have a soft spot for background scenery, and it's always interesting to see how they pull of a scenery loop in the background. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 that i quite enjoyed

-Blood: the third level

-Broken sword: train in Britain (not an fps but still amusing :D)

-No one lives forever: you guessed it (edit: train level, didn't want to be too inconspicuous)

-Unreal 2004: (the one where your on a land train in the desert boarding a bigger vehicle) not your conventional train but still cool

Doesn't have to necessarily be theif related, but if you want to go ahead.

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

Funny you didn't mention T2X's 3rd level (the Train level). And the Last Express is a classic game set entirely on the Orient Express going from Paris to Istanbul, though an adventure game, not FPS.

I don't care so much about the environment as I do really tight and rich story-telling ... So I've always liked Rowena's & Eshaktaar's FMs for that. Maybe, I like a city setting where you can visit discrete buildings. So it's just tight enough to enclose a good story, but just expansive enough to make sure you get a lot of good & diverse characters and conflict-situations in. A lot of great FMs did this, 7 Sisters, Rocksbourg, etc. As for non-FMs, one of my favorite games, Hardwar, did this... There was an entire working economy of this discrete off-planet colony that you could play. You could follow it from the raw commodities from the mines, to sheet metal, to electric components, to high tech (ships), to actual services (taxis and police), and invest (or intervene) at any point. And I thought they nailed the scale of the game perfectly.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Favorite levels? Let's see...

Eshaktaar's FMs are fabulous indeed, as well as the "L'Arsene"-series.

The Witcher: The small part where you lift the curse of the king's daughter. Very atmospheric!!

Call of Ctchulhu: Hard to say, which levels were my favorites. There were so many good ones. I loved the dark adventure part in the town at the beginning of the game and the "alien"-architecture.

Tomb Raider Underworld: First level. A huge calamary and a sinking ship. Very dynamic levels. Astonishing really!

Mirror's Edge: The one where you flee into the subway. I can't recon its name. A lot of action, good visuals and quick gameplay.

Guitar Hero 2: "Jessica" – The Allman Brothers Band :-P

Funny you didn't mention T2X's 3rd level (the Train level). And the Last Express is a classic game set entirely on the Orient Express going from Paris to Istanbul, though an adventure game, not FPS.

I don't care so much about the environment as I do really tight and rich story-telling ... So I've always liked Rowena's & Eshaktaar's FMs for that. Maybe, I like a city setting where you can visit discrete buildings. So it's just tight enough to enclose a good story, but just expansive enough to make sure you get a lot of good & diverse characters and conflict-situations in. A lot of great FMs did this, 7 Sisters, Rocksbourg, etc. As for non-FMs, one of my favorite games, Hardwar, did this... There was an entire working economy of this discrete off-planet colony that you could play. You could follow it from the raw commodities from the mines, to sheet metal, to electric components, to high tech (ships), to actual services (taxis and police), and invest (or intervene) at any point. And I thought they nailed the scale of the game perfectly.

I must be the only person on the forum who doesn't know about thief 2x... I'll have to play it some time

Might try some of those other fms too.

18588.png

I must be the only person on the forum who doesn't know about thief 2x... I'll have to play it some time

Might try some of those other fms too.

O. M. G.

Have you even played a single Thief 2 fan mission? There seriously is a lot of good stuff, and in itself T2X is a brilliant experience.

O. M. G.

Have you even played a single Thief 2 fan mission? There seriously is a lot of good stuff, and in itself T2X is a brilliant experience.

Actually I've played rose cottage (which i think was for thief 1 perhaps) That was a great mission.

EDIT: well I started playing thief 2x today, and I got as far as the third mission briefing and it froze while loading the third mission. I know it's off topic but does anyone know what might be causing this?

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

I recall it being reported before (actually I think it crashed for me the first time too).

There's a way to fix it or get around it.

IIRC it was something to do with the video?

Your best bet is to run a search in the T2X sub-forum at TTLG because I know it was talked about and dealt with.

Edit: I think that's you posting about it there already. Really, run a search because this was a known issue, but people forget so it's good to find the original discussion of it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.