The Dark Mod Forums

light_fireflames_huge on/off

grayman

I want a bonfire off at map start, and turned on later.

I placed a light_fireflames_huge in the map, and set the "start_off" spawnflag to "1".

TDM ignored it.

So I tried the *.Off() method in the map's main() function.

TDM ignored it.

So I tried the *.frob_extinguish() method in the main() function.

TDM ignored it.

Does anyone know how to turn off this light, or do I need to have it on all the time and move it into place when I need it?

Thanks.

Perhaps this is non-extinguishable so the player can't put out a conflagration with one puny water arrow.

Try a lever targetting the light. If that turns it on and off then you need a trigger right at the start to turn it off.

You could also do the following.

Put the bonfire where you want it, check origin values.

Move the bonfire to your blueroom.

Establish stim-response thingy, that teleports the bonfire to the origin you checked.

This is a generally functioning method which I usually do when I need something appearing or disappearing. For instance, in my map I tried to get a foglight turn on and off, but is seemed impossible to accomplish, with the exception of this teleportation method.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I placed a light_fireflames_huge in the map, and set the "start_off" spawnflag to "1".

TDM ignored it.

So I tried the *.Off() method in the map's main() function.

TDM ignored it.

So I tried the *.frob_extinguish() method in the main() function.

TDM ignored it.

Does anyone know how to turn off this light, or do I need to have it on all the time and move it into place when I need it?

Thanks.

Try to place it as entity and put the "extinguished" "1" spawnarg on it (generally, all TDM light entities and light holders support that). It will then start "off". The "start_off" I think is a Doom3 remnant and only works for triggers.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Final solution:

Set the entity's "extinguished" spawnarg to "1". (Thanks, Tels.)

Use frob_ignite() to ignite it. Use frob_extinguish() to turn it off.

The flame's light will toggle on/off if you sys.trigger() the entity, but the flames stay on. So triggering isn't enough. The frob_ignite()/frob_extinguish() methods handle both flames and light. Not sure why they weren't working yesterday.

Thanks!

Final solution:

Set the entity's "extinguished" spawnarg to "1". (Thanks, Tels.)

Use frob_ignite() to ignite it. Use frob_extinguish() to turn it off.

The flame's light will toggle on/off if you sys.trigger() the entity, but the flames stay on. So triggering isn't enough.

Could you please file a bug report on our tracker? I always wanted to look into the whole "trigger" and "activate" issue and that sounds like a bug to me.

The frob_ignite()/frob_extinguish() methods handle both flames and light. Not sure why they weren't working yesterday.

Thanks!

You should also be able to call "LightsOn()", "LightsOff()" and "LightsToggle()" on the entity, this will do the right thing with the lights. The "frob_ignite() and frob_extinguish() are more internal method names and we might eventually get rid of them - as the frob and the ignite don't nec. have anything to do with each other. Also, LightsOn() will always work, no matter what light holder you have, e.g. even if you swap the fireflame for a candle holder or electrical light.

See here:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Combo_entities#Script_Object

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

You should also be able to call "LightsOn()", "LightsOff()" and "LightsToggle()" on the entity, this will do the right thing with the lights.

See here:

http://modetwo.net/d...s#Script_Object

In this script code:

entity myBonfire = sys.getEntity("bonfire");

myBonfire.LightsToggle();

TDM complains at map start that LightsToggle() can't be found.

The example on the wiki page assumes a holder/flame entity. The bonfire I'm working with is just a light.

And the wiki example uses "sys.findEntity()" and TDM complains that it doesn't know about that. "sys.getEntity()" appears to work, though.

Not sure at this point what the recommended method is, so I don't know what to put in a bug report. extinguish/ignite is the only mechanism I've found that works, and if the plan is to deprecate them in the future, I'll need to replace them with the correct methods.

I'm also using extinguish/ignite in massive quantities in Cleighmoor to good effect, so I'll need to replace all of those as well. Those are on unlit torches that can be lit via script.

In this script code:

entity myBonfire = sys.getEntity("bonfire");

myBonfire.LightsToggle();

TDM complains at map start that LightsToggle() can't be found.

The example on the wiki page assumes a holder/flame entity. The bonfire I'm working with is just a light.

And the wiki example uses "sys.findEntity()" and TDM complains that it doesn't know about that. "sys.getEntity()" appears to work, though.

Not sure at this point what the recommended method is, so I don't know what to put in a bug report. extinguish/ignite is the only mechanism I've found that works, and if the plan is to deprecate them in the future, I'll need to replace them with the correct methods.

I'm also using extinguish/ignite in massive quantities in Cleighmoor to good effect, so I'll need to replace all of those as well. Those are on unlit torches that can be lit via script.

Ah, ok, I've fixed the wiki and also will add LightsOn(), LightsOff() and LightsToggle() the light script object. For now, leave your working code as it is :)