The Dark Mod Forums

Silly TDM Screenshot Thread

Sotha

Not really a screenshot but a mish mash of nonsense I took out of my speedrun-ish videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKLR2eexC4Q

That really shouldn't have made me laugh but it did. Particularly liked (i) the technique of continuing to hit AI even after they were KO'd; (ii) the sweet ickle spider (at 4.45). It looked like it was begging! While you were clubbing it to death.

Re the two AI from the first sequence (Score to Settle) - I guess they weren't on the same team - or something??? Seemed odd that they didn't both gang up on him at once.

It looks like there were some pathfinding problems in that section of the street. There were small spots where the AI acted like they couldn't reach the player, but take one step forward and then they could.

Overzealous monsterclipping typically. There are a few other FMs players can exploit like in that one. Lack of providing monsterclip terrain is another possible reason (if not near decorative objects).

The solution is to limit monsterclip to the size of the objects, and not run it to the sky when not appropriate. That part is easy to see. The harder part is realizing if ground patchwork got too high over the underlying brushes and requires a supporting step of monsterclip underneath, since lowering a vertex in one spot might raise surfaces in another.

The only way I know is to test heavily by running around with an AI chasing you all over, coming from each direction and watching to see if they stop to pull out a rock to throw at you or run around something you expected them to follow straight over.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

harder part is realizing if ground patchwork got too high over the underlying brushes and requires a supporting step of monsterclip underneath,

It's likely that.

I had something similar at one point playing nuThief. Got spotted by a guard, so I ran and cowered in a corner - the guard saw me, came right up to me with his sword drawn, and then (for no reason I could see) suddenly backed off and started throwing stones at me. He did this a few times, then on the third or fourth approach decided he could thwack me after all. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That may be true, but it also seems they aren't filled with anything, look at that thing flopping around like a ragdoll (pun not intended, but I'm totally going with it), like it weighs nothing. Perhaps their mass is broken?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

After a quick googling, the skeleton plus the skin, I'd expect 15-20kg, plus a few more for whatever muscle remained. Call it 25kg?.. and having worked a job where that was a unit of weight I hefted around regularly, I wouldn't expect to flip it around like a large, rotting sock puppet. Especially at the distance it was being held, which would exert a fair amount of torque on the spine and arms of the person swingin' them around. Buut fantasy is as fantasy does, it just seems a little odd that the zombie was that easily moveable.

After a quick googling, the skeleton plus the skin, I'd expect 15-20kg

This is one of the wierdest things I've read in a long time.

• Like 1

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

You missed the discussion about member frobability, then...

• Like 1

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sometimes, when you put two AI on the same RIT network they can do surprising things. That's the main idea of the RIT: increase unpredictability.

I was noclipping around my map, looking for errors and testing stuff when I saw these two AI getting all cuddly. Prolly they thought they had some privacy from their creator and had a soft moment. Even an AI needs some love, right?

ZiUuC8a.jpg

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 5 months later...

Should I even ask?

tdm_invisiblep_zpssse1ibhh.png

• Like 3

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 4 months later...